Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What Host are You?  (Read 3707 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
What Host are You?
« on: July 09, 2023, 11:42:43 PM »
Apologies if this has been done before…

Many of us, I’m guessing, have hosted games before, whether it be in front of friends/family, a local show, or via Discord online.  Curious as to which host, past or present you feel your hosting style aligns with.

Unfortunately, I feel I compare to Jim Lange—not being able to move past reciting rules and giving scores.  Another board member felt I compared to Jack Barry.  I don’t feel like that’s an upgrade.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Re: What Host are You?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 12:01:55 AM »
Pat Sajak or Tom Bergeron, with a hint of Ken Jennings. When I hosted games at Trivia Nationals and in a recent role as trivia night host, I felt I have a dry, slightly sarcastic delivery to my hosting.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SamPrainito

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 01:29:02 AM »
Who I'm channeling totally depends on the game.

In my weekly bar trivia games, I'm trying to move it along, so more Trebek, or "Blockbusters" Bill Cullen.  Do like having the "prove-outs" to the questions, or sharing additional information.

In my Wednesday "Feud" game, I'm being a wiseguy.  Trying to be more Dawson, and not Steve Harvey in any way.  (My girlfriend thinks it could come off as racist if I appear to imitate Steve.)

On Thursday night Rock and Roll Bingo, I am totally Barker.  Trying to have some fun with people when they come up for their prizes.  This seems to be the style people respond to most!

daveromanjr

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 08:04:33 AM »
When GSN was doing a contest on the road to find people who wanted to host a game show (I think the winner went on their morning show maybe? I can't recall) I tried out and it went really well.  The judges told me I did really well but I was too much like Richard Dawson with my smarminess (My word, not theirs).  I didn't even kiss anybody!

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 10:37:21 AM »
I think my username answers the question. I run three meetup groups, a trivia, party games and a Boggle/Scrabble. I try to keep things moving with my sometimes off-beat humor. I have over 100 games in my humble NYC apartment, so I've had to learn multiple rules and formats. One drawback is that as I've gotten older, I need glasses or a magnifying glass to read the questions. I swear the print has gotten smaller over the years. Plus don't get me started on how with the newer games, the rules don't cover everything.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 04:17:03 PM »
I'm with Sam. Depends on the format. Church group loves Feud, and they know I'm snarky (one time, the men's team named themselves The Little Blue Pills. I asked if they were able to stay up for up to four hours...). Done several Hollywood Squares takeoffs with prepared material that lets the "celebs" get the better of the host. But it was Dan Enright who taught me a stinging lesson. After submitting a copy of a cable access game I was doing years ago, he said I was drawing too much attention to myself. First thought was, "Hey...I'm the STAR! You're SUPPOSED to do that!" If you have a very good, strong game, let it be the focus and just guide it. Let your personality adjust to any level of weakness in the game. Cullen was a master at that. As much as I'm not a major Barker fan, he did say one thing that was very good advice - to paraphrase, "When that housewife from Iowa comes up on stage, she's only going to have a few minutes to shine in front of America. You have a contract and you'll be on screen every day. Give that contestant their moment."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 04:26:38 PM »
I’d like to imagine that I’m equal parts Pat Kiernan and George Gray.
Travis L. Eberle

beatlefreak84

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 01:31:19 AM »
I remember trying my best to be like Peter Tomarken when I was a kid, but in hosting games with family, I would get so focused on the rules that I think I ended up more like a Jack Barry.

Now, the style I try to emanate the most, especially in my day job of teaching, is Jim Perry - competent with rules, keeps game moving, but is good about stopping for a quick quip and engaging with contestants.  Thankfully, my wife agreed with me when I discussed this exact topic with her earlier tonight.  :)

One other reason I said Jim Perry:  when I can tell my class has had enough of hard math, I break out a funny personal or historical anecdote halfway through class...or tell a terrible joke at the end of the week.  One of the parts of $ale that I didn't appreciate as a kid, but do now!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 07:36:00 AM »
or tell a terrible joke

That could also make you a little bit of Wink Martindale. :)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 04:59:39 AM »
Be yourself or the audience will pick up on the fact that you're trying to be a cheap, imitation [insert name of host].

I once saw a well-known personality emceeing TPIR Live in Las Vegas. It was painfully obvious that he was trying to be a cheap, imitation Barker. The producer of TPIR Live at the time saw the same thing and took the emcee aside and coached him not to try to be Barker but to be himself. The next time I saw him in Las Vegas the Barker affectations were gone.

Heed Dan Enright. He had plenty of experience coaching people from Wink Martindale to Herb Stempel.

An emcee needs to be able to project over the footlights, like any public speaker.

On the very rare occasions when I've emceed anything I think I'm reminiscent of either Hugh Downs or Dick Clark. I've always admired their low-key hosting styles but I don't try to emulate them.

alfonzos

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2023, 10:27:05 AM »
I like to think that I am Bill Cullen but I probably come off as Guy Smiley.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

DJDustman

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2023, 06:11:22 PM »
Minus the Twitter, definitely a Woolery person here. The stupidest things happen and I carry on :P.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2023, 01:05:08 PM »
I'm a Matt Ottinger
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2023, 03:37:50 PM »
I'm a Matt Ottinger

How very, very sad for you.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.