Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two New Pluto TV Channels in July  (Read 28053 times)

Chelsea Thrasher

Re: Two New Pluto TV Channels in July
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2023, 08:18:55 PM »
The last three seasons alternated between 4 and 4:30 pm on WTKR so I watched quite a bit in college. The Pluto channel is taking me back in time right now...when I worked on the yearbook, our theme for those two years revolved around entertainment. I lobbied hard to get the cover to look something like the H^2 intro, but I lost that battle. :P

It was my last two years of high school; the show was buried in Nashville by then - 5th season aired at 4:30am, season 6 aired at 1:35a. There was a stretch in 2003 when I was having a lot of health problems so I got to see a decent clip of those episodes, but most of the rest of season 5 and pretty much all of season 6 are new to me outside of a handful of episodes I picked up through trading.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2023, 03:19:54 AM »
I thought it would be helpful to know which upcoming episodes of Hollywood Squares had which celebrities, so I started making notes when the channel launched. And now that all of the weeks are available on demand, it became much easier to complete the list.

So here's a handy series of grids listing every set of celebrities in seasons five and six. Be surprised by some of the celebrities who did the show! Find episodes with celebrities you like! Count how many times Charo appeared! The page theoretically has dozens of uses!

For most of the grids, I just skimmed one representative episode, assuming that the layout wouldn't change during the week. I did find two exceptions to that assumption, though (a week where the cast of Reba cycled through one of the squares and a week where I'm pretty sure Henry Winkler was a last-minute substitution when Master P and/or Lil' Romeo didn't arrive to the studio on time), so if you see any others, let me know.

As the page mentions, the episode number order does not always match the airing order. Especially when it comes to the season five tournament of champions. Not only would I assume that the wild card week aired a little closer to the tournament, but during the tournament, Tom was promoting the upcoming Mother's Day week, which was taped with earlier episode numbers.

WhammyPower

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2023, 06:16:38 AM »
As the page mentions, the episode number order does not always match the airing order. Especially when it comes to the season five tournament of champions.
The season six tournament of champions is kinda the same way. It appears to have aired immediately after It Just Ain't Right week, as the Monday show has Friday's answers.

Trisscope

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2023, 12:30:35 PM »
For most of the grids, I just skimmed one representative episode, assuming that the layout wouldn't change during the week. I did find two exceptions to that assumption, though (a week where the cast of Reba cycled through one of the squares and a week where I'm pretty sure Henry Winkler was a last-minute substitution when Master P and/or Lil' Romeo didn't arrive to the studio on time), so if you see any others, let me know.

Wanted to check, because I remember people mentioning the big boss, Roger King, being center square for a week. However, he wasn't center on the episode I had gotten to watch on Pluto.

Turns out, that was only a Monday thing, the rest of the week (6082-6085) looked like this:

Charo/Roger King/Peterman
Gena Lee/Mull/Rondell
Judy/Dom/Phyllis

So yes, another week where Martin did do center square in season 6. Really makes the one week stick out now where he was there, but not center.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2023, 02:56:24 PM »
Turns out, that was only a Monday thing, the rest of the week (6082-6085) looked like this:

Much obliged!

Really makes the one week stick out now where he was there, but not center.

At the beginning of the Monday episode of that week, Tom explained that the show had booked the Hilton sisters, but they canceled at the last minute, so Martin Mull was brought in to replace them.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2023, 03:56:08 PM »
Scott, thank you so much! This answered several questions I had (including wondering if Henry Winkler ever appeared...and he did!).

I noticed another anomaly, which occurred during the second week of Season 5. Michael McDonald only appeared M-W; Anna Nicole Smith (and friends!) appeared Th-Fri.

BrandonFG

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2023, 04:25:29 PM »
I noticed another anomaly, which occurred during the second week of Season 5. Michael McDonald only appeared M-W; Anna Nicole Smith (and friends!) appeared Th-Fri.
Something similar happened during the first season as well, when Billy Crystal and Robin Williams appeared alongside Whoopi for three Comic Relief episodes. It aired during Thanksgiving week, so that could also explain why they only did three eps., knowing most markets might pre-empt the show for football or parades.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2023, 06:36:43 PM »

Updated. Thanks!

Something similar happened during the first season as well, when Billy Crystal and Robin Williams appeared alongside Whoopi for three Comic Relief episodes.

I think they were more likely to move celebrities around the grid within a week and swap celebrities in and out during the Whoopi years (maybe only the early Whoopi years?). I remember one week in which nearly the entire cast of ABC's Whose Line Is It Anyway? appeared -- the regulars stayed in the grid for the entire week, but the semi-regulars all took turns filling some of the remaining squares.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2023, 09:50:06 PM »
I think they were more likely to move celebrities around the grid within a week and swap celebrities in and out during the Whoopi years (maybe only the early Whoopi years?). I remember one week in which nearly the entire cast of ABC's Whose Line Is It Anyway? appeared -- the regulars stayed in the grid for the entire week, but the semi-regulars all took turns filling some of the remaining squares.

Nope, it happened all throughout the Whoopi era. I know of at least three weeks during Season 4 (including the very star-studded Women Who Care Week) that swapped the squares around and out every episode.

colonial

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2023, 03:23:23 PM »
This happened a few times during the Davidson era as well. They switched out a few New York-centric celebs for the Radio City Music Hall episodes -- The morning show weathermen (Willard Scott et al) were switched out with Gene Shalit; Mark Gastineau and Lawrence Taylor switched out for a week; and I think Debbie Gibson "split" a square one week with another celeb (blanking on the name).

JD

Allstar87

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2023, 04:27:58 PM »
This happened a few times during the Davidson era as well. They switched out a few New York-centric celebs for the Radio City Music Hall episodes -- The morning show weathermen (Willard Scott et al) were switched out with Gene Shalit; Mark Gastineau and Lawrence Taylor switched out for a week; and I think Debbie Gibson "split" a square one week with another celeb (blanking on the name).

Looking at Kris Lane's most excellent Davidson Squares guide, it appears to be The Fat Boys.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030724122007/http://www.xanfan.com/celebrities/squares86.htm

bwood

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2023, 04:28:04 PM »
Has anyone heard any additional news regarding the previously announced "More TV Game Shows" channel?
I figured it would debut with the HS channel but still has not launched.

daveromanjr

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2023, 08:20:00 AM »
Has anyone heard any additional news regarding the previously announced "More TV Game Shows" channel?
I've been wondering the same thing - kind of surprised no mention of it from Pluto outside from the original announcement of the channel.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2023, 04:10:58 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing - kind of surprised no mention of it from Pluto outside from the original announcement of the channel.
Probably there was a delay of some kind. If I venture a guess, I’d imagine there was a hold up with the rights to one of the shows they were planning to use as an anchor.

Pluto is usually good to deliver on their promises about channels & programming, even if it’s delayed on occasion. IIRC BUZZR was announced for 2 or 3 months before it showed up on Pluto. More recently, the XITE music channels were announced several months before they were added. (Though to be fair, I only saw that announced early on one news site, so I’m thinking said site may have gotten out over their skis on that one.)

SamJ93

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2023, 09:06:16 PM »
For those of us who just can't get enough Jimmy Carr in our lives, all 16 episodes of UK Distraction are now available in Pluto On Demand.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!