Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndication  (Read 18332 times)

BrandonFG

Syndication
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2004, 11:31:50 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 11:21 PM\'] I was replying to Fedya's question about hour long shows airing in syndiciation on weekends [/quote]
 There's still a few hour-long dramas that air on weekends...Lost World and Andromeda, at least I *think* they're still first-run. There's some more, but I can't think of anything else.

ObGameShow: Ron Ely made a guest appearance on one of those syndicated dramas c. 2002.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

Syndication
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2004, 08:53:44 AM »
Another good question might be:  What was the first syndicated strip game show meant to be played in order?

My guess would be "Joker's Wild" from 1977.  The shows that came earlier could easily be "bicycled" around.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

Syndication
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2004, 01:20:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 08:53 AM\'] Another good question might be: What was the first syndicated strip game show meant to be played in order?

My guess would be "Joker's Wild" from 1977.  The shows that came earlier could easily be "bicycled" around. [/quote]
 That actually raises a few questions on if Joker's Wild was the first, as you have me thinking....

"Cross-Wits"......I believe it was a 5-day-a-week show....Did it have returning champs? If it did, it precluded JW...

Don Howard

Syndication
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2004, 04:06:25 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 01:20 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 08:53 AM\'] Another good question might be: What was the first syndicated strip game show meant to be played in order?

My guess would be "Joker's Wild" from 1977.  The shows that came earlier could easily be "bicycled" around. [/quote]
That actually raises a few questions on if Joker's Wild was the first, as you have me thinking....

"Cross-Wits"......I believe it was a 5-day-a-week show....Did it have returning champs? If it did, it precluded JW... [/quote]
 No returning champions on The Cross-Wits. I'm agreeing that The Joker's Wild was the first syndicated strip show with continuing champions. As far as the weekly syndie offerings, would that be a 2-way tie in 1976 between The $100,000 Name That Tune and The $128,000 Question?

aaron sica

Syndication
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2004, 09:10:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 04:06 PM\']
No returning champions on The Cross-Wits. I'm agreeing that The Joker's Wild was the first syndicated strip show with continuing champions. As far as the weekly syndie offerings, would that be a 2-way tie in 1976 between The $100,000 Name That Tune and The $128,000 Question? [/quote]
 OK. Figured it might have been worth a try. However, it opens up a new bunch of questions from my end:

The first satellite-fed daily strip was "Entertainment Tonight" in 1981, as we know.

What was the first satellite-fed daily strip game show?
Also, as far as TJW goes, how were the shows fed to the stations?

tmq800

Syndication
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2004, 09:23:02 PM »
I think syndie 'Wheel' was satellite-fed in 1983, followed by syndie shows 'Jeopardy!' and 'LMAD' in 1984.  'LMAD' in 1984 had two national 30-second commercials that were placed before the Big Deal.  These national commercials aired in each market, and were placed by the distributor of the show.

BrandonFG

Syndication
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2004, 09:32:14 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 09:10 PM\']What was the first satellite-fed daily strip game show?
Also, as far as TJW goes, how were the shows fed to the stations?[/quote]
This is all a guess, but I would say Jeopardy...I think Wheel was still being bicycled in 1983, same for Joker and Tic Tac...don't know about Feud.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

ChuckNet

Syndication
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2004, 10:06:23 PM »
This is all a guess, but I would say Jeopardy...I think Wheel was still being bicycled in 1983, same for Joker and Tic Tac...don't know about Feud.

I know that syndie $otC was still being bicycled in 1985...Hartford/New Haven didn't get it until the 2nd season in fall 1985, and WTNH (Ch. 8) began by airing the 1st season...since I recieved both WTNH and the show's NY outlet, WABC (Ch. 7) on my cable system at the time, and both aired $otC at 4 PM, it produced a glorified "WTF??" from my 6YO mind. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jimmy Owen

Syndication
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2004, 11:48:19 PM »
"Feud" was fed by satellite by the end of the run because our local station used inferior quality or worn-out tape to dub from the bird, so the picture would roll around and drop out often, the signal was "overdriven" as well with colors bleeding over, etc. the same way ET used to when this particular station ran it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Craig Karlberg

Syndication
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2004, 05:25:40 AM »
I remembering those sattelite fed shows in the mid-to-late '80s.  I often see them A WEEK before the local stations air them.  Maybe that's why I like game shows so much is because I have a tendancy to "scout" the sattelite feeds to see where & when each show would be on.

aaron sica

Syndication
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2004, 07:09:51 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 10:06 PM\']

I know that syndie $otC was still being bicycled in 1985...Hartford/New Haven didn't get it until the 2nd season in fall 1985, and WTNH (Ch. 8) began by airing the 1st season...since I recieved both WTNH and the show's NY outlet, WABC (Ch. 7) on my cable system at the time, and both aired $otC at 4 PM, it produced a glorified "WTF??" from my 6YO mind. :-)

[/quote]
 I know what you mean....I remember seeing MG and TPiR air around the same time when I was little (like one following the other), and in the weeks where Bob Barker was on MG I wondered how he changed clothes and got ready for the next show so quickly...

Ian Wallis

Syndication
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2004, 09:04:29 AM »
I think syndie 'Wheel' was satellite-fed in 1983, followed by syndie shows 'Jeopardy!' and 'LMAD' in 1984.

I know for sure "Wheel" was still bicycled in 1983.  The Buffalo station started running it in late August, and Rochester (just 80 miles away) started it two weeks later, from the ep that Buffalo ran in late August.  In other words, they were airing episodes two weeks apart that whole season.  I think by fall 1984 they were in sync, so it might have been satellite-fed starting in '84.

As for shows being fed ahead of time, yes, "Wheel" and "Jeopardy" are fed two days ahead of time on satellite, and "Squares" and "Millionaire" one day ahead.  I love searching for them too - that's where many of my "wild feeds" I have on my trade list came from!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Esoteric Eric

Syndication
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2004, 09:16:17 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 04:09 AM\']I remember seeing MG and TPiR air around the same time when I was little (like one following the other), and in the weeks where Bob Barker was on MG I wondered how he changed clothes and got ready for the next show so quickly...[/quote]
Pardon the tangent...

My favorite memory that this post dredged up was one of seeing Tom Kennedy guesting on MG '6x just minutes after finishing the day's episode of You Don't Say! in Hollywood.

At one point, Gene Rayburn started joking that TK used a "five-second airplane" to appear on both shows on the same day!  (Compulsive Bluffer that I am, I'd wager that the concept of the FSA was hatched by MG / Mad writer Dick DiBartolo.)

Esoteric Eric, who also thought that Hugh Downs just hung around 30 Rockerfeller Plaza every day from 9AM (end of Today) to 10:30 (start of Concentration) <Colin Mochrie> "You naive fool!" </cm>
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

BrandonFG

Syndication
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2004, 11:36:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 09:04 AM\']
I think syndie 'Wheel' was satellite-fed in 1983, followed by syndie shows 'Jeopardy!' and 'LMAD' in 1984.

I know for sure "Wheel" was still bicycled in 1983.  The Buffalo station started running it in late August, and Rochester (just 80 miles away) started it two weeks later, from the ep that Buffalo ran in late August.  In other words, they were airing episodes two weeks apart that whole season.  I think by fall 1984 they were in sync, so it might have been satellite-fed starting in '84.
 [/quote]
 I've also seen various premiere dates for syndie Wheel, for example, your market picked it up in Aug. 83, but I've seen Sept. 5, 12, and 19 as premiere dates...on someone's web page, there was a scan of a TV Guide ad from Mar. 84 stating one market's premiere.

I also remember from ATGS conflicting memories of the car given away on the "premiere" episode. One person remembered a Firebird, someone else saw a pick-up truck.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Syndication
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2004, 11:49:50 AM »
What was the first satellite-fed daily strip game show?
Family Feud.