Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows when it comes to alternate realities  (Read 1310 times)

trainman

Game shows when it comes to alternate realities
« on: June 21, 2023, 02:09:26 AM »
All right, I couldn't resist creating this counterpart to the other "alternate realities" thread.

Depictions of game shows within alternate-reality fiction. I can only think of two off the top of my head, both in relatively recent streaming TV series:

1. "The Man in the High Castle" (in which the Axis wins World War II and control of the U.S. is split between Germany and Japan) -- a panel show called "Guess My Game," which appears to be extremely similar to "What's My Line?", but is presumably not a Goodson-Todman production. It's broadcast in color as early as 1962.

2. "For All Mankind" (in which the Soviet Union beats the U.S. to a manned moon landing, and the space race between the two powers continues indefinitely) -- the "Jeopardy!" revival premieres a year earlier than in our timeline, in 1983, but appears to be exactly the same.
trainman is a man of trains

Kniwt

Re: Game shows when it comes to alternate realities
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 04:10:02 AM »
The Weakest Link, with Anne Droid. :)

SamJ93

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 01:02:03 PM »
The "alternate realty" definition is admittedly a bit of a stretch here, but there is the other recurring game show sketch from That Mitchell And Webb Look, set in a bunker following an unspecified apocalyptic event:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=22mt0cVyW5c
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 09:22:15 AM by SamJ93 »
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 04:35:02 PM »
The Running Man.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983