Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows Providing Wrong Information  (Read 30303 times)

Nick

Re: Shows Providing Wrong Information
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2023, 07:50:37 PM »
I would think $otC in its rules bible has a clause about the "Best Answer" being the only one acceptable for a regular question. Password Plus had a similar one:

Yes, but I would argue that the "Best Answer" doctrine is not what's at issue here.  In the Password Plus example, this is to say that the definitive answer and not items that coincidentally fit the same category is what will be accepted (in essence, you can't play like a Cliff Clavin and twist the answer to your benefit).  The case I cite is that differing terms identifying the same individual (i.e., birth name versus stage name, the latter of which was also the name of his most memorable character), the contestant did provide an answer that matched to the same specific individual as to what was on Perry's answer card.

I suppose Sale of the Century was never as high-calibre of a trivia quiz as, say, Jeopardy!, but, hey, if your Jeopardy! answer is, "Ed Sullivan said of this actor's 1931 Broadway performance in Nikki that this ‘young lad from England has a big future in the movies’." and contestant questions, "Who is Archibald Leach?" instead of "Who is Cary Grant?", you're not going to rule against him, are you?  I doubt you'd be expecting anybody to answer his birth name either way when, technically speaking, he hadn't adopted the name "Cary Grant" at that point.  Either way, you're referring to the same individual.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

nowhammies10

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2023, 08:34:07 PM »
Yes, yes, the statue is really called Liberty Enlightening the World. Calling it that on a farkin' game show is just being a smartass.

Nick

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2023, 09:01:08 PM »
Yes, yes, the statue is really called Liberty Enlightening the World. Calling it that on a farkin' game show is just being a smartass.

True, but there are YouTube ad dollars to be made from that and post-Jeopardy!-appearance Internet fame to achieve.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2023, 10:01:28 PM »
I’m pretty sure Lindsay Wagner played The Bionic Woman, but that’s just me…

Now see, I was going to ask who Lindsay Olives was.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2023, 12:21:42 AM »
I suppose Sale of the Century was never as high-calibre of a trivia quiz as, say, Jeopardy!, but, hey, if your Jeopardy! answer is, "Ed Sullivan said of this actor's 1931 Broadway performance in Nikki that this ‘young lad from England has a big future in the movies’." and contestant questions, "Who is Archibald Leach?" instead of "Who is Cary Grant?", you're not going to rule against him, are you?  I doubt you'd be expecting anybody to answer his birth name either way when, technically speaking, he hadn't adopted the name "Cary Grant" at that point.  Either way, you're referring to the same individual.

Brandon had the apt reply. Back in $ale's heyday, the chances of the staff going from book to book to investigate possible alternate answers was slim-to-none. (The original Jeopardy! reportedly had no researchers verifying what was written.) If a viewer knew the birthname of Redd Foxx and wrote in, the show would have likely taken some corrective action.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

carlisle96

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2023, 12:40:21 PM »
This brings up a question about the long-since gone "Hit Man." What happened if a contestant gives a right answer, but that answer wasn't part of the film? Let's say the subject was Secretaries of State and the film talked about Henry Kissinger as Nixon's top diplomat. But Nixon had more than one Sec. of State. The question is "Name Nixon's Secretary of State" and the reply isn't Kissinger. Does the player get credit for a right answer?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 12:51:09 PM by carlisle96 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2023, 01:59:48 PM »
The question is "Name Nixon's Secretary of State" and the reply isn't Kissinger. Does the player get credit for a right answer?

If the writers of Hit Man were that sloppy, I'd hope 1) the contestant was credited with a right answer and 2) the writer of that question was summarily fired. You pin your questions.

Peter as much as says that he's going to ask you questions about the movie you just saw. If you answer outside of the bounds of the movie on a jump-in quiz just because you can, then you conned some people during the contestant screening because you are clearly a smartass they want nowhere near their game show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2023, 02:01:27 PM »
(The original Jeopardy! reportedly had no researchers verifying what was written.)

But they _did_ have the Encyclopedia International!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Otm Shank

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2023, 03:18:39 PM »
I'm sure somebody can find the clip faster than I, but there was one early in the syndie run of Sale of the Century where the answer to the question was Redd Foxx, and the contestant answered "Sanford", in reference to his character on "Sanford and Son".  He was ruled incorrect, with Jim noting they were going for the actor and not the role; but John Elroy Sanford was Red Foxx's real name.  I see no reason why that shouldn't have been accepted.  I don't recall them ever bringing back the contestant.

Was the full question read? Because if there's "is commonly known as..." or something about a woodsy creature, then the scope of the answer is narrowed to what they expect.

chrisholland03

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2023, 04:17:35 PM »
The question is "Name Nixon's Secretary of State" and the reply isn't Kissinger. Does the player get credit for a right answer?
Peter as much as says that he's going to ask you questions about the movie you just saw. If you answer outside of the bounds of the movie on a jump-in quiz just because you can, then you conned some people during the contestant screening because you are clearly a smartass they want nowhere near their game show.

This answer can't be emphasized enough.  The premise of the game was a quiz on the movies shown.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2023, 04:49:49 PM »
I feel like the basic tenet of any quiz show is to give the rightest answer possible, not test the judge's patience by seeing what cutesy answers you can get away with.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2023, 05:55:46 PM »
"Pass The Buck" is the only show I can think of where in theory you *could* try the judge's patience with what you could get away with if what you were asked to name was a bit too broad in nature.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2023, 08:48:45 PM »
I feel like the basic tenet of any quiz show is to give the rightest answer possible, not test the judge's patience by seeing what cutesy answers you can get away with.

Sounds like the Multistate Bar Exam. Literally gives you the instruction “Choose the best answer,” and proceeds to give you four correct answers.  :o
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

tyshaun1

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2023, 07:30:59 AM »
This brings up a question about the long-since gone "Hit Man." What happened if a contestant gives a right answer, but that answer wasn't part of the film? Let's say the subject was Secretaries of State and the film talked about Henry Kissinger as Nixon's top diplomat. But Nixon had more than one Sec. of State. The question is "Name Nixon's Secretary of State" and the reply isn't Kissinger. Does the player get credit for a right answer?
Something similar actually occurred on the show and this was the result:

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2023, 07:14:59 PM »
Something similar actually occurred on the show and this was the result:

This exact incident came to mind for me as well.  However, if you go back and watch the video piece from round one, both the actor's name and the character's name appear in the video @4:25 in a way that makes this different.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."