Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Recording of GSN  (Read 7969 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The Recording of GSN
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2004, 01:29:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 10:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 09:10 AM\'] Unless someone else here has an idea (hint, hint). 
 [/quote]
Get you a Tivo. ;)

(Yes, I know, 'spensive. But quickly becoming less so, and there are many members here who will swear on the religious publication of your choice that there is no better investment for your entertainment dollar, particularly if most of that dollar is spent on TV anyhow.)
 [/quote]
 Thanks for the insight.  I'll prolly cave in and get a TiVO one of these days.

Not to sound dumb, but how exactly does it work?  I know it digitally records, but can the recording then be transferred to a tape once there so much stuff that it can't save any more?

Something to ponder as I celebrate my 400th post.

Doug -- soon to celebrate 401 posts  :)
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Recording of GSN
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2004, 01:54:20 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 11:29 AM\'] Not to sound dumb, but how exactly does it work? [/quote]
 It records to and plays back from a hard drive. (This is how it can record and play back at the same time.)
can the recording then be transferred to a tape once there so much stuff that it can't save any more?
Absoutely. In fact one of the options when playing something back is to "Save to VCR", which basically plays the show back without any graphics superimposed onscreen (not that it does anyhow, but I think it also surpresses accidental button presses that would do so unless you stop playing back the show outright)

There are ways to hack them such that you can extract the video directly to your PC for burning to DVD or what not, as well, but we're talking REALLY ADVANCED hacking...the kind of stuff I'M not even 100% clear on. :)

(in fact, if someone here has done that to a Series 2 Tivo, please contact me, I'd like to talk to you about it. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2004, 02:29:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 01:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 11:29 AM\'] Not to sound dumb, but how exactly does it work? [/quote]
It records to and plays back from a hard drive. (This is how it can record and play back at the same time.)
can the recording then be transferred to a tape once there so much stuff that it can't save any more?
Absoutely. In fact one of the options when playing something back is to "Save to VCR", which basically plays the show back without any graphics superimposed onscreen (not that it does anyhow, but I think it also surpresses accidental button presses that would do so unless you stop playing back the show outright)

There are ways to hack them such that you can extract the video directly to your PC for burning to DVD or what not, as well, but we're talking REALLY ADVANCED hacking...the kind of stuff I'M not even 100% clear on. :)

(in fact, if someone here has done that to a Series 2 Tivo, please contact me, I'd like to talk to you about it. :)) [/quote]
 Ok Tivo whizzes, here's my hangup on getting one: one of the things that it's promoted as being able to do is record two shows airing simultaneously. This would really be helpful in my house (the Friends/Survivor debate ends at last!)...but in my DirecTV manual it states that the box can only recieve one channel at a time, which means you can't even *watch* something while recording something else.

Does Tivo remedy this, or do I need to get cable?

dzinkin

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2004, 03:31:37 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 02:29 PM\'] Ok Tivo whizzes, here's my hangup on getting one: one of the things that it's promoted as being able to do is record two shows airing simultaneously. This would really be helpful in my house (the Friends/Survivor debate ends at last!)...but in my DirecTV manual it states that the box can only recieve one channel at a time, which means you can't even *watch* something while recording something else.

Does Tivo remedy this, or do I need to get cable? [/quote]
If you have a DirecTiVo receiver -- i.e. a DirecTV receiver with TiVo capability built-in -- *and* you have two lines running to it as you're supposed to, then yes, you can record two shows at once.  You can even watch another, pre-recorded show while you record two other shows.  (I have a DirecTiVo and do this all the time; it's been particularly useful since I upgraded my DirecTiVo to 214 hours. :-)

If you only have one line running to the DirecTiVo, only one tuner is available and you can only record one channel, though you can watch a pre-recorded show while recording something else.  The same holds true if you have a stand-alone TiVo box connected to a regular DirecTV receiver.

If you have a regular DirecTV receiver and want to upgrade to DirecTiVo, go here...

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/TIVO.dsp

The upgrade costs $99 and includes free installation, including running the required second line.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 03:34:47 PM by dzinkin »

tommycharles

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2004, 03:39:03 PM »
Wow that's cheap! Thanks for the info, David.

dzinkin

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2004, 03:46:58 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 03:39 PM\'] Wow that's cheap! Thanks for the info, David. [/quote]
 You're welcome.  Two caveats that I neglected to mention...

1. To get the $99 offer, you do need to commit to keep DirecTV service for one year, at Total Choice level or higher.  If you already have a service commitment, it doesn't add a year; the year just restarts when you activate the DirecTiVo.

2. You can't buy a "lifetime" subscription as you can with a stand-alone TiVo, and the Home Media Option isn't available.  Neither mattered to me when I signed up, but your mileage may vary.

OTOH, the DirecTiVo is much less expensive than regular TiVo service... $5 extra a month on your DirecTV bill, no matter how many DirecTiVo boxes you have.

tommycharles

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2004, 04:02:56 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 03:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 03:39 PM\'] Wow that's cheap! Thanks for the info, David. [/quote]
You're welcome.  Two caveats that I neglected to mention...

1. To get the $99 offer, you do need to commit to keep DirecTV service for one year, at Total Choice level or higher.  If you already have a service commitment, it doesn't add a year; the year just restarts when you activate the DirecTiVo.

2. You can't buy a "lifetime" subscription as you can with a stand-alone TiVo, and the Home Media Option isn't available.  Neither mattered to me when I signed up, but your mileage may vary.

OTOH, the DirecTiVo is much less expensive than regular TiVo service... $5 extra a month on your DirecTV bill, no matter how many DirecTiVo boxes you have. [/quote]
 Hmm...so for $99 plus an extra $10 per month (5 for Tivo, 5 for getting an additional reciever) I can get a) DirecTV in my bedroom finally with b) Tivo? I'll take it! I'm so damn sick of straining to watch Letterman over the crappy reception when my stepdad is watching the Outdoor Life Network in the living room in perfect quality :-)

dzinkin

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2004, 04:17:49 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 04:02 PM\'] Hmm...so for $99 plus an extra $10 per month (5 for Tivo, 5 for getting an additional reciever) I can get a) DirecTV in my bedroom finally with b) Tivo? I'll take it! I'm so damn sick of straining to watch Letterman over the crappy reception when my stepdad is watching the Outdoor Life Network in the living room in perfect quality :-) [/quote]
 Other than shipping (for the DirecTiVo), yes... that's it.  DirecTV even throws in a multiswitch if it turns out that you need one to handle the extra two lines.

dzinkin

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2004, 04:43:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 11:28 AM\']Get you a Tivo. ;)

(Yes, I know, 'spensive. But quickly becoming less so, and there are many members here who will swear on the religious publication of your choice that there is no better investment for your entertainment dollar, particularly if most of that dollar is spent on TV anyhow.)
[/quote]
Even less expensive if you go with DirecTiVo, though that works only with DirecTV.  If you're thinking of switching to satellite anyway, it's one more reason to switch... but even if you keep cable and get a stand-alone TiVo, it's a worthwhile investment IMO.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 11:28 AM\']
(But if 'spensive is a dealbreaker....)
(and my VCR will only record analog channels)
For less money than a Tivo, you can get a VCR's with an infrared adapter (I'm pretty sure they are standard equipment on most any recently made unit, unless you bought it in the impulse lane at Fred Meyer) that will change the channel on your cable box for you when it needs to tape something, and that would get around your A/B limitations, in part. The downside is that your VCR would effectively have control of your cable box when it was recording, and you'd be stuck on the A-side if you were taping something and wanted to watch something else, but that's the same caveat you're gonna have with pretty much any solution that doesn't involve a change of television service, including Tivo.[/quote]

Some digital cable boxes -- and IIRC, a few analog ones as well -- can change the channel at pre-assigned times, and have IR attachments that can switch the VCR's record function on and off at the same times.  It's the reverse of what Chris describes (instead of VCR controlling box, box controls VCR), but the result is the same.

trainman

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2004, 12:40:08 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 01:43 PM\'] Even less expensive if you go with DirecTiVo, though that works only with DirecTV. [/quote]
 It probably should be pointed out, if anyone's still reading this thread, that if you don't subscribe to DirecTV already, a new installation including a DirecTiVo may be even cheaper than the $99 previously mentioned.  I paid $49 ordering through an online satellite dealer this past November.

One caveat, for those of you for whom this is a big deal, is that DirecTV doesn't carry Nick GAS.
trainman is a man of trains

dzinkin

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2004, 01:08:51 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 12:40 AM\']It probably should be pointed out, if anyone's still reading this thread, that if you don't subscribe to DirecTV already, a new installation including a DirecTiVo may be even cheaper than the $99 previously mentioned.  I paid $49 ordering through an online satellite dealer this past November.

[/quote]
Indeed... that didn't occur to me because Tommy mentioned he already had DirecTV, but that's how I decided to switch.  I paid $69 because I went with the triple-LNB dish (needed for NASA TV and the Rochester locals), but otherwise it would have been $49 as well.  Some deals even let you get DirecTV in up to five rooms, albeit with a DirecTiVo in just one of those rooms (and the $5/month mirror fee still applies beyond the first receiver).

[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 12:40 AM\']One caveat, for those of you for whom this is a big deal, is that DirecTV doesn't carry Nick GAS.[/quote]

Well, thanks to the Echostar/Viacom pissing match, neither does Dish Network as I type this. :-)

joe_capitano

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2004, 09:21:41 PM »
Me: Card Sharks of the Lacey and Suzanna era.

Let's see. We should be in about July 1988 now. At the going rate that means the teary end won't come until late Summer 2005, more or less.

1978-Jeopardy

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2004, 06:35:19 AM »
The episodes of card sharks airing on weekends all seem familliar. Are they just showing the 87-88 season?

zachhoran

The Recording of GSN
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2004, 07:56:24 AM »
[quote name=\'1978-Jeopardy\' date=\'Mar 15 2004, 06:35 AM\'] The episodes of card sharks airing on weekends all seem familliar. Are they just showing the 87-88 season? [/quote]
 THey've shown episodes spanning January 1986-August 1988 since 2001, and the weekend run is in June 1988(Young People's Week)