Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $otC Instant Bargains  (Read 2202 times)

Adam Nedeff

$otC Instant Bargains
« on: February 27, 2004, 11:16:29 PM »
I got a bunch of $ale of the Century in my new batch of tapes this week and I got curious about how Jim's little extar incentives for Instant Bargains were determined. Was he just doing them off the top of his head, or was there, say, a cue card offstage saying "$2 less...$300...$5 less...$500". Maybe a producer offstage giving him signals? Anyone? Anyone?

TheInquisitiveOne

$otC Instant Bargains
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 12:35:15 AM »
That's a good question. My theory is that between taping sessions, the producers gave Perry a few pointers on how to make the Instant Bargains more lucrative to the leading player, according to the situation.

For example, I have an episode in which a $14 Instant Bargain was reduced all the way down to $5 so that could result in a two-way tie for the lead. As for the cash offerings, Jim would make some serious hikes for those who are taking the big risk to add the cash jackpot to his or her winnings. For example, champion Cindy Barr was offered a trip to Hawaii plus $2,000 cash for $15. Offerings like these would never be given to a player who was champion for only a day.

So, to answer your question, I believe that Jim was given advice before the fact, but the offerings were all his doing. That is only just a theory of mine.

The Inquisitive One

(By the way, I am interested to know exactly which episodes of $otC you did get. I have over 50 episodes, but I could use more!)
This is the Way.

Matt Ottinger

$otC Instant Bargains
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 10:03:13 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Feb 28 2004, 01:35 AM\'] That's a good question. My theory is that between taping sessions, the producers gave Perry a few pointers on how to make the Instant Bargains more lucrative to the leading player, according to the situation. [/quote]
 I don't think that would have been any more necessary that producers giving Bob Barker pointers between taping sessions on how to make a pricing game more interesting.

Jim Perry was a professional and he knew the structure of his game.  He knew that part of his job was to keep the main game competitive and he knew how to make the Instant Bargain entertaining.  I'm sure some specifics evolved over time with input from the producers, but I'm reasonably certain that it was totally up to him (within some obvious budgetary limit) to decide how far to go with incentives for an Instant Bargain.  

And when things got rough, he could always tell Summer Bartholomew to call one of the contestants a "swinger"...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

beatlefreak84

$otC Instant Bargains
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 10:05:11 AM »
From watching the show as a kid, I was always under the impression that the initial cash offer was scripted, but I think that, if a contestant became so sure he/she didn't want to buy it, then Jim would take over and try to convince him/her to go for it.

I can remember one episode where there was a champion who had won for I think 4 games and he NEVER bought an Instant Bargain.  So, Jim went through the motions and offered him $500 to start off with, and, when the guy gave his usual "no" shake, Jim walked over to the contestant's podium and laid down $2,000 for him to consider.  The way it looked on camera, I believe the $2,000 offer was all Jim's doing.

Even though Jim could've done parts of it on his own, I'm sure the producers gave him a limit as to how high he could go with the cash reward or how low he could drop the price.

That's my two cents, anyway!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

ChuckNet

$otC Instant Bargains
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 11:38:59 AM »
For example, I have an episode in which a $14 Instant Bargain was reduced all the way down to $5 so that could result in a two-way tie for the lead. As for the cash offerings, Jim would make some serious hikes for those who are taking the big risk to add the cash jackpot to his or her winnings. For example, champion Cindy Barr was offered a trip to Hawaii plus $2,000 cash for $15. Offerings like these would never be given to a player who was champion for only a day.

Yeah, I think the bigger offers were only made to long-reigning champs...another instance came on Alice Conkright's final appearance, when Jim offered to throw in a $1,000 bonus if she'd buy a $10(?) set of Cabbage Patch Kids, which she naturally passed up in her apparent desire to become the only $otC champ not to buy a single IB during the course of her run (6 days).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
$otC Instant Bargains
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 02:11:24 PM »
I recently got to see of Elaine Paulino's reign of terror during the last season of the show, and she was so good at the game that she could actually buy just about anything Jim threw at her.  But Jim RARELY ever even got to "going once..." (except on the Instant Cash) mostly because he'd figured out her weakness...all he had to do was reach into his pocket for a few hundred dollars.

This leads me to believe that Big Jim's temptations were not scripted, and that Jim could mess with the players' minds at will.

(At first I thought her name was Elaine Palermo, but very consulation has lead me to understand her name as Paulino; I have edited this post as such)

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 06:34:17 PM by Game Show Man »
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

ChuckNet

$otC Instant Bargains
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 01:25:34 PM »
I recently got to see of Elaine Paulino's reign of terror during the last season of the show, and she was so good at the game that she could actually buy just about anything Jim threw at her. But Jim RARELY ever even got to "going once..." (except on the Instant Cash) mostly because he'd figured out her weakness...all he had to do was reach into his pocket for a few hundred dollars.

Interesting...BTW, how long did Elaine last as champ? I know she was on for at least 5 days and took home at least $67K+.

And am I the only one who thought she was quite a babe? :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")