Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What could have been (shows to share)...  (Read 3952 times)

aaron sica

What could have been (shows to share)...
« on: December 23, 2021, 07:26:41 AM »
This could possibly be an interesting thread.

Narzo's post about the infomercial he taped long ago made me think of something - were there any tapes of game shows you recorded over the years that you wish you'd kept, so that they could have been used in tape trades, or later, sharing online?

I had, from their original broadcasts, all with original commercials:
1983 PYL premiere
1/2/89 USA Network game show lineup
First 6 shows of MG90

vtown7

Re: What could have been (shows to share)...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 08:50:35 AM »
I had a good chunk of the (short) run of 5432Run tape from CTV. Great game mechanic for a show. Taped over it with Fun House when I discovered that show later that year.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 09:19:29 AM »
For a very brief period in time, my Dad made a habit of taping The Challengers and a few years later after I found a.t.g-s I wished he hadn't taped over it multiple times over.

Of my own taping, the Sneak Preview special The Family Channel did of their 1996 afternoon game show lineup which I somehow misplaced or taped over. If memory serves me right, it only aired once or twice at odd hours and has never popped up anywhere. A shame since when I did start trading it would've become good trade bait in time.

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 10:12:32 AM »
Audio tapes only, but I had one episode each of The Big Showdown, The Moneymaze, and a few others. In 1975, the only option was holding your Take 'n' Tape up to the TV and hope your family members don't interrupt.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 10:27:12 AM »
“Hit Man” and “The New Battlestars.”  That coincided with my first VCR.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Kniwt

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 10:32:05 AM »
In 1975, the only option was holding your Take 'n' Tape up to the TV and hope your family members don't interrupt.

Indeed, after I got my first cassette recorder in, I think, 1969, I recorded a bunch of shows on C60s and, like most everyone else, recorded over nearly all of them. In painstakingly going through the tapes decades later, I found half of a Who What or Where and the last couple minutes of a Kelly Sale of the Century (both of which I posted a while back).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, more of my radio captures survived than did the TV ones: My collection of radio news/talk from the Miami "snowstorm" of 1977 is intact.

My VHS collection survived somewhat better, but there's not much that either hasn't already been posted elsewhere, or is so prone to DMCA claims (looking at you, early MTV game shows) that I dare not post them again.

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 10:51:33 AM »
I had a good chunk of the (short) run of 5432Run tape from CTV. Great game mechanic for a show. Taped over it with Fun House when I discovered that show later that year.

I feel like I may have told you this before, Ryan, but I saw 5-4-3-2-Run on cable - WPHL-17 in Philly ran it for a short time. It bumped "The Flintstones" out of its 7am slot. Didn't take long before Fred and company were back. :)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 12:21:58 PM »
Back when I got GSN in early '97, I recorded it almost around the clock and would regularly tape over any of the originals I captured.
I now wish I would've kept more Super Decades and Trivia Track...even Throut & Neck! I also recorded over a lot of Feud '94. C'est la vie.

colonial

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 12:41:51 PM »
When my family purchased a VCR for the first time in 1983-84, I would take a few blank tapes and record episodes of game shows while I was at school -- admittedly, the technology was primitive, so I would record two-hour blocks during the day. That didn't last long, as my parents quickly set a rule -- the only shows we can record on the VCR are shows the whole family can watch.

Over time, the rule subsided, and I started paying closer attention to the TV listings, particularly what was on post-midnight. I would record syndie fare that was broadcast overnight and watch it the next morning before school. WLD, Relatively Speaking, New Liar's Club, Davidson Pyramid, and Tomarken Wipeout were the ones usually taped.

Back in 1994, I competed on a College Bowl-type series called "Campus Challenge" that featured colleges from the U.S. and Canada competing for scholarships and school pride. Production was a disaster on numerous levels, but I had fun doing it. We were told the shows would air on "PBS stations nationwide," but most of the stations that allegedly agreed to air the episodes never did -- just a handful. I reached out to the production company, and they sent me a tape of two of the four episodes I was on. Unfortunately, my family recorded over the episodes a few years later, and I've never seen the show again.

JD

JMFabiano

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 12:51:23 PM »
Probably had a lot more of the USA block(s) than I actually kept.

Didn't someone back in the day talk about taping at least one Cullen Pyramid rerun (when WLIG reran it) and erasing it? 

Now this is stretching as I really only remember one GS clip on it, but there was a Before They Were Stars special that included Kirstie Alley on PW+ (first time I saw the show again since it was originally aired, and before I'd see full episodes in tape trades then GSN). Even when I catalogued my tapes when I officially joined the trading circuit, that show never turned up on any of them. 

(Said special was also the first time I saw Willard Scott as Ronald McDonald)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 04:42:23 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 01:16:41 PM »
Back in the late-90s I used to record the premiere eps. of whatever syndicated show. I think I might still have some VHS recordings of Dating/Newlywed Game and Bzzz! from 96, Pictionary from 97, Match Game/Hollywood Squares 98, and Feud 99.

I wanna say I recorded The Hollywood Game from 1992, but if I did that tape’s long gone.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 03:29:39 PM »
When we first got a VCR at Christmas 1982, I started recording shows like Sale of the Century, Hit Man, daytime Wheel of Fortune - all with original commercials.  Over the years I also had Dating Game reruns that aired in '85, but were from the '70s with the fee plugs intact (not like GSN's versions that cut them out), Dating Game '80s w/o/c, plus a Press Your Luck from '84 where they let a very bad edit get to air (this was corrected when USA and GSN ran the show), plus several of Pop N Rocker Game.  I also recorded a bunch of early GSN stuff that I taped over once I saw it.

I just didn't think of saving very many of them back then...and blank tapes were kind of expensive in the early '80s and didn't start getting cheaper until the early '90s.  Regrets...this is definitely one of them! 

As soon as I started seeing those game show trading sites in fall 1996 I realized that maybe I should have saved a lot more of those shows than I did.  Who knew?

At least with what I did manage to save it was enough to get started trading and sharing with others.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvmitch

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 04:23:03 PM »
I taped USA's afternoon block on a daily basis to watch when I got home from school each day. Used the same tape over and over. Probably did the same with Family Channel as well.
You should follow me on Twitter

tyshaun1

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 04:40:58 PM »
plus a Press Your Luck from '84 where they let a very bad edit get to air (this was corrected when USA and GSN ran the show)
I'd love to know the details of this....

tyshaun1

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2021, 04:42:09 PM »
“Hit Man” and “The New Battlestars.”  That coincided with my first VCR.
I've heard that someone had recorded the entire series of both shows. Was that you?