Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks 1983?  (Read 5132 times)

daveromanjr

Card Sharks 1983?
« on: December 01, 2021, 10:05:44 AM »
I was looking around Television City's website and noticed something odd.  In January 1983 there is record of Card Sharks taping in studio 33.

Was there a pilot?  Maybe a clerical error?  Googling didn't come up with anything so I figured I'd ask here.

Jeremy Nelson

Re: Card Sharks 1983?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 10:19:34 AM »
I'm guessing it was a clerical error, but the more I think about it, you could make the case that it may not have been.

Password and Blockbusters were cancelled in '82, so in 1983, G-T had Price, Feud, Child's Play, MGHS Hour, and Tattletales on air. Outside of Price, each of those shows was on fairly shaky ground that year, so it wouldn't have been a surprise to see G-T dust off the hits to see if they still played. After all, Password was only off the air for two years when it came back in 84.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 03:32:41 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 10:43:51 AM »
I know reruns aired on CBN and local stations right around that time, and IIRC G-T wanted to do a nighttime version at some point during the Perry run. I'm guessing pilot to test the waters.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 10:49:10 AM »
Must be a typo. Card Sharks taped there in January 86
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JMFabiano

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 08:41:45 PM »
Must be a typo. Card Sharks taped there in January 86

Probably.

It does remind me of a syndicated TV reference book that tried to pass off the rerun package as a "new" version of the NBC series, and one that just added the survey questions to the game. 

Does anyone remember what time period the rerun package covered?  I do remember seeing the Money Cards podium with and without the "$" from watching them.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Bryce L.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 09:22:44 PM »
Does anyone remember what time period the rerun package covered? I do remember seeing the Money Cards podium with and without the "$" from watching them.
In that case, late 1979/early 1980 at the very least, since the $ was added in January 1980.

EDIT: Do you remember G2T2 having the question cards along the front? Since they switched from that to the lights in front in October 1979.

JMFabiano

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 10:35:38 AM »
Does anyone remember what time period the rerun package covered? I do remember seeing the Money Cards podium with and without the "$" from watching them.
In that case, late 1979/early 1980 at the very least, since the $ was added in January 1980.

EDIT: Do you remember G2T2 having the question cards along the front? Since they switched from that to the lights in front in October 1979.

I'm not sure.  That was one thing that escaped my memories until I saw the Perry version again through mid-90s tape trades.  I got earlier episodes first with the cards, then when I got the series finale, I was like, "Wow they got Eubanks-style light-up displays..."  (I had watched Eubanks eps. again before getting Perry ones too) 

Allstar87

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 11:51:44 AM »
Does anyone remember what time period the rerun package covered?  I do remember seeing the Money Cards podium with and without the "$" from watching them.

A few June 1983 repeats do circulate. The first few originally aired in October 1981, up to and including the finale. They jumped back to 1978 episodes immediately after...the episodes were from September, if I recall correctly. The contestant plugs were completely intact.

Card Shark

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 05:20:20 PM »
The pilot taped in May of 1985, I believe. Beyond that, this is the first I've heard of such a thing.
Adam Strom

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 07:38:43 PM »
A few June 1983 repeats do circulate. The first few originally aired in October 1981, up to and including the finale. They jumped back to 1978 episodes immediately after...the episodes were from September, if I recall correctly. The contestant plugs were completely intact.
Firestone syndicated these reruns, no? Not to go all closing logo geek on the Forum, but did they put a logo on the reruns?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mike Tennant

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 07:58:46 PM »
It does remind me of a syndicated TV reference book that tried to pass off the rerun package as a "new" version of the NBC series, and one that just added the survey questions to the game.
That would be Hal Erickson's Syndicated Television: The First Forty Years, 1947-1987, although Erickson put the addition of the survey questions with the 1986 Rafferty version. (It seems to me, though, that Alex McNeil's Total Television may have put those two "facts" together; I got rid of that book when I moved, so I can't confirm it.) Erickson's book, though it contains other such errors (The New Price Is Right is said to have run in syndication only from 1972-74), is still a great read because Erickson's descriptions of the various series are colorful and opinionated. I got it for my birthday recently and read it cover-to-cover.

Those opinions, though, sometimes make for amusing reading in retrospect. My favorite one comes from Erickson's review of the early Fox series The Tracey Ullman Show. (Erickson treated the early Fox shows as syndies because Fox wasn't yet a full-fledged network.) Although he had nothing but praise for most of the show, he did have one complaint: "The only detraction was the dreadfully unfunny animated sequences used as buffers between the sketches." Those "dreadfully unfunny" cartoons, of course, spawned the longest-running scripted prime-time series on American television, which is still going some 31 years after its parent series left the air.

Kniwt

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 12:21:11 AM »
That would be Hal Erickson's Syndicated Television: The First Forty Years, 1947-1987, although Erickson put the addition of the survey questions with the 1986 Rafferty version. (It seems to me, though, that Alex McNeil's Total Television may have put those two "facts" together; I got rid of that book when I moved, so I can't confirm it.) Erickson's book, though it contains other such errors (The New Price Is Right is said to have run in syndication only from 1972-74), is still a great read because Erickson's descriptions of the various series are colorful and opinionated. I got it for my birthday recently and read it cover-to-cover.

Looks like it's available for "borrowing" at the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/syndicatedtelevi0000eric

JMFabiano

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 02:32:23 AM »

Nice. 

Is his animated series book out there?  I wonder what he DID think of The Simpsons when the series began.

This is also infamous for his commentary about The Raccoons and how Cyril Sneer was a "pink wolf".

snowpeck

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 02:37:01 AM »

Nice. 

Is his animated series book out there?  I wonder what he DID think of The Simpsons when the series began.

This is also infamous for his commentary about The Raccoons and how Cyril Sneer was a "pink wolf".

https://archive.org/details/televisioncartoo0000eric
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Mike Tennant

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 07:33:29 PM »
In that book, Erickson said the "at first unfunny and intrusive" cartoons "improved" when they began concentrating on the yet-to-be named Simpsons. "Gradually, the cartoon sketches grew to be a benefit rather than a detriment to Tracey Ullman's variety weekly."

Although he found the first season of The Simpsons to be of "off-and-on quality," Erickson wrote, "By season three ... Simpsons was one the best sitcoms of any kind, live or cartoon." He did, however, sense that "the writing had slackened a bit by 1993, leaning towards recycling what had worked in past episodes and pursuing too many gags beyond their worth." In other words, he was a typical early Simpsons fan.