Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: J! apologizes for inaccurate/dismissive clue...  (Read 2973 times)

weaklink75

J! apologizes for inaccurate/dismissive clue...
« on: June 22, 2021, 07:37:24 PM »
https://tvline.com/2021/06/22/jeopardy-apology-inaccurate-pots-syndrome-grinch-clue/

(Don't they have as a general research rule that a clue has to be verified by multiple sources? Apparently the problematic part of the clue only had one source...)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: J! apologizes for inaccurate/dismissive clue...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 12:01:13 AM »
I'm not defending the clue. However...

Quote from: Dysautonomia Intl.
Promoting outdated misogynistic terms to describe a debilitating autonomic nervous system disorder that impacts millions of Americans is not cool.

What part of that clue (or term) was misogynistic? While it's true that postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome affects many more women than men, it isn't exclusive to women.

Using inaccurate, inflammatory language diminishes the legitimate objection.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 02:00:59 AM »
The clue would be easy enough with tachycardia as the pointer—they didn’t need another phrase at all.
Travis L. Eberle

SamJ93

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 06:51:19 AM »
The clue would be easy enough with tachycardia as the pointer—they didn’t need another phrase at all.

True, but the theme of the category was layman's nicknames for medical conditions.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 02:06:16 PM »
What part of that clue (or term) was misogynistic?

Perhaps they are positing that if it was a predominantly male disease, it would have gotten a more complimentary nickname.

tvwxman

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 07:16:57 AM »
https://tvline.com/2021/06/22/jeopardy-apology-inaccurate-pots-syndrome-grinch-clue/

(Don't they have as a general research rule that a clue has to be verified by multiple sources? Apparently the problematic part of the clue only had one source...)
Mike loves publicity - subscribes to the PR Barnum rule of not caring if it's good or bad.

Contestant 'may' flash white power sign? Run with it. Offensive clue? Go with it. Someone sasses Aaron Rodgers play in Final? Excellent.

Did this happen in all those years with Harry?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SamJ93

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 11:17:16 AM »
Mike loves publicity - subscribes to the PR Barnum rule of not caring if it's good or bad.

Contestant 'may' flash white power sign? Run with it. Offensive clue? Go with it. Someone sasses Aaron Rodgers play in Final? Excellent.

Did this happen in all those years with Harry?

That's a very unfair assessment. The hand sign thing was a clickbait non-story from the start, based on a "white power" sign that originated as a hoax on 4chan. They apparently didn't realize that the clue in question would offend some folks, and given my strong belief in Hanlon's Razor, I'd tend to believe them. And that was far from the first time a contestant had written a FJ answer poking a bit of fun at the host (see James' "Who is the G.H.O.S.T.?" response from the GOAT tournament).

And no, Harry Friedman didn't have it happen as much...because for much of his tenure, he didn't have to deal with the perpetual outrage machine that is social media.

It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 02:12:46 PM »
And no, Harry Friedman didn't have it happen as much...because for much of his tenure, he didn't have to deal with the perpetual outrage machine that is social media.

As far as the clue is concerned, he also had Alex Trebek, who was pretty good at sniffing this sort of thing out. Bet you anything that clue doesn't see the light of day if Trebek is still around.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 03:23:37 PM »
As far as the clue is concerned, he also had Alex Trebek, who was pretty good at sniffing this sort of thing out. Bet you anything that clue doesn't see the light of day if Trebek is still around.

With all due respect, how do you see that going down? Maybe there's an interview with Alex I missed. Because that scenario would require his reading it in the morning and thinking, "Hey guys, you know this fact you said you double checked in this finished game we're taping today? Can you double check it again?" I personally arrive to a lot of material with a healthy skepticism, but if one were to look askance at that many clues in a game that's supposedly finished, that's one slow morning. (I'd be more apt to believe Alex wouldn't want to say it, but I don't think he'd immediately think it's bogus.)

FWIW, you see the type of attribution found in the problematic clue a lot without knowing it. It just happens in less potentially-harmful material. Complete hypothetical: THIS BOB SAGET SITCOM OF THE '80s & '90s HAS BEEN CALLED "THE SUGARIEST SUGAR TV EVER SUGARED". In this case "has been called" is a quicker way of saying "the writer found this funny sentence in one review or article." And nobody on high bats an eye, because all signs point to one correct response they expect somebody to say.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 03:40:12 AM »
With all due respect, how do you see that going down? Maybe there's an interview with Alex I missed. Because that scenario would require his reading it in the morning and thinking, "Hey guys, you know this fact you said you double checked in this finished game we're taping today? Can you double check it again?"

I can certainly see Alex seeing the phrases "Grinch Syndrome" and "heart is too small", and saying "Hey guys, I'm sure this is accurate, but did you check to make sure this isn't an offensive term? Might be worth a second look." Obviously I'm speculating, but I just can't see that going over his head.

JohnXXVII

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 09:13:28 PM »
From the underwhelming series of guest hosts to the negative incidents of publicity that all could have been avoided by a sharp-eyed producer and some simple editing, the new regime at Jeopardy hasn't exactly hit it out of the ballpark..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 06:52:36 PM by JohnXXVII »

Loogaroo

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 04:41:12 AM »
Complete hypothetical: THIS BOB SAGET SITCOM OF THE '80s & '90s HAS BEEN CALLED "THE SUGARIEST SUGAR TV EVER SUGARED". In this case "has been called" is a quicker way of saying "the writer found this funny sentence in one review or article." And nobody on high bats an eye, because all signs point to one correct response they expect somebody to say.

Or as some of us like to say, "ACCORDING TO WHATDOBEARSEAT.INFO..."
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".