Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2021 Daytime Emmy nominations announced  (Read 2712 times)

colonial

2021 Daytime Emmy nominations announced
« on: May 25, 2021, 12:18:43 PM »
https://deadline.com/2021/05/daytime-emmy-awards-2021-nominations-list-1234763704/

Outstanding Game Show nominees -- J, WOF, TPIR, LMAD, FF

Host nominees -- Trebek, Harvey, Sajak, Brady, Ribeiro (Catch 21)

There does seem to be a game show-related oddity in the nominations, as Jeopardy's GOAT tournament was nominated for "Outstanding Daytime Special Event" (competing against, among other nominees, the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and a space launch). Curious that a primetime special got a Daytime Emmy nod, but I would presume the people that run the show declared it eligible.

JD

tpirfan28

Re: 2021 Daytime Emmy nominations announced
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 01:52:06 PM »
I mean, there's almost no way Trebek doesn't win, right?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 03:10:57 PM »
I mean, there's almost no way Trebek doesn't win, right?

Chadwick Bosman?

tyshaun1

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 03:47:57 PM »
There does seem to be a game show-related oddity in the nominations, as Jeopardy's GOAT tournament was nominated for "Outstanding Daytime Special Event" (competing against, among other nominees, the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and a space launch). Curious that a primetime special got a Daytime Emmy nod, but I would presume the people that run the show declared it eligible.

JD
I wonder how they qualify the prime time games as.... Daytime Emmy eligible or Primetime Emmy reality eligible? I don't believe any of them have been nominated to date.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 05:21:47 PM »
Primetime Emmy, Outstanding Competition Program.

Jane Lynch, Alec Baldwin and Ellen DeGeneres have been nominated for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Competition Program - but reality seems to crowd out the games in the Program category. There's also a Creative Arts award titled Outstanding Structured Reality Program where Lip Sync Battle has been before.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 05:24:02 PM »

According to the rules for the 2020 primetime Emmys (which covered the time period the GOAT tournament aired), under Criteria for Eligibility, paragraph 13:

Programs first broadcast during primetime hours, which are an extension or a special of a daytime series, are eligible in the Daytime Emmy competition, but no longer eligible in Primetime.

So the Jeopardy! folks had no choice but to enter it into the Daytime Emmys.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 08:30:53 AM »

According to the rules for the 2020 primetime Emmys (which covered the time period the GOAT tournament aired), under Criteria for Eligibility, paragraph 13:

Programs first broadcast during primetime hours, which are an extension or a special of a daytime series, are eligible in the Daytime Emmy competition, but no longer eligible in Primetime.

So the Jeopardy! folks had no choice but to enter it into the Daytime Emmys.
[/quote]

In 2020 ABC still submitted Celebrity Family Feud  for Competition program and reality host,  so not clear where the line between extension and seperate program is.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 11:57:58 PM »
Fittingly, Alex Trebek won a posthumous award for Outstanding Game Show Host.

Jeopardy! won for Outstanding Game Show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 10:17:31 AM »
They did a good job with the awards. Very nice tributes to Regis, Alex and Larry King. In the "In Memoriam" segment, Tom Kennedy was the first name and picture shown. They had Name That Tune as his main credit. The one person that wasn't mentioned was Hugh Downs, unless I missed it. But I don't think I did.

snowpeck

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 03:04:01 PM »
They did a good job with the awards. Very nice tributes to Regis, Alex and Larry King. In the "In Memoriam" segment, Tom Kennedy was the first name and picture shown. They had Name That Tune as his main credit. The one person that wasn't mentioned was Hugh Downs, unless I missed it. But I don't think I did.
I also noticed they misspelled composer Perry Botkin, Jr.'s name as "Blotkin".
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Winkfan

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 05:49:31 PM »
The one person that wasn't mentioned was Hugh Downs, unless I missed it. But I don't think I did.

He'll probably be in the Primetime Emmy "In Memoriam" segment, since he co-anchored 20/20 for years.

They also barred Don Morrow, Sue Oakland, and Mark Wilson (of Alakazam fame).

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 06:33:56 PM »
We go over this every year. Those are not snubs; if they were to remember every single television personality who died in the last year, the ceremony would prolly still be airing as we speak.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Mr. Matté

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 06:42:59 PM »
We go over this every year. Those are not snubs; if they were to remember every single television personality who died in the last year, the ceremony would prolly still be airing as we speak.

No, they were barred. The ghost of Don Morrow was hovering out front but the man with the clipboard declared "Nope, not on the list. Get out." :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 07:25:11 PM »

No, they were barred. The ghost of Don Morrow was hovering out front but the man with the clipboard declared "Nope, not on the list. Get out." :)
I lol'd. :P

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 12:12:34 AM »
The one person that wasn't mentioned was Hugh Downs, unless I missed it. But I don't think I did.

He'll probably be in the Primetime Emmy "In Memoriam" segment, since he co-anchored 20/20 for years.
Which, if so, would certainly be fitting, but he definitely should've been included here.

As Brandon said, not everyone can be included in these things, but his work on The Today Show and Concentration were definitely major enough in the daytime field to have deserved as much recognition for his work in primetime and late night.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.