Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Millionare  (Read 10616 times)

TalkingHeadsFan

Super Millionare
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2004, 02:43:27 PM »
I LIKED the big "New Dimension" explanation. I think it really brings up the production value of the show, something we don't see very often these days. Sure, some may say it's cheesy, but the new Upper Tier graphics, and the dramatic cue and lighting change made me feel the energy of the studio at home...The anticipation, the drama, and the mystery of what is to come in this new realm of the game...

CaseyAbell

Super Millionare
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2004, 03:05:41 PM »
Wow. Me and Casey agreed on something.
This could signal the apocalypse.

PeterMarshallFan

Super Millionare
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2004, 05:08:55 PM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 04:05 PM\']
Wow. Me and Casey agreed on something.
This could signal the apocalypse. [/quote]
 Next thing Casey will do a 360 and Bullseye will be his favorite show. :-) [JOKE]

As for Super Millionaire......WOW. Just like it was in 1999, this could be the start of a resurgence for game shows, even if it's temporary. Regis was in top form, and even sick he beats Meredith Viera by a mile IMO. The first contestant was smart to realise the potential of the 50-50/Double Dip combo. Too bad we couldn't see it. That $500k question was a hoot.

I didn't like Three Wise Men though. It seemed like Regis took too much time reading the question. At least with Phone A Friend the speed is at the player's discretion. I can only imagine what SB did when he saw "Best Contestant of 2003!!!!" Nancy Christy as one of them.

starcade

Super Millionare
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2004, 06:38:19 PM »
FF Fan:  I think that's part of the problem with $M...  You might end up with "Greed" Syndrome, in that no one in their right mind even considers winning $10M, or even $1M -- you get to 11 and then thank Regis for the half-mil...

The questions are so difficult that you might get five questions in the New Dimension Tier that will rival the 1950's ones that people had to be given the answers for...

Don't get me wrong:  Loved it!!  Geeked out like I did in 1999!!!  And with the ratings, sounds like they might get another run or basically a regular sweeps drop...  The pacing left some to be desired, since I now wonder if we'll see 10 contestants in the seat over the week.

Would've needed a lifeline on both first-tiers, too...  Ow.

As far as the Next Dimension, I almost think they probably did an edit so that the producers could've explained to both Regis and the Kimmer the rules on the two new lines again...

starcade

Super Millionare
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2004, 06:39:34 PM »
I don't see more than $1M for anyone, and would be surprised if anyone even wins that much to break Dan Avila's record for the biggest-money question ever faced on a quiz.

I can't see anyone getting 13 here...

adamjk

Super Millionare
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2004, 06:41:07 PM »
[quote name=\'The Quizmaster\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 01:25 AM\'] Considering that there is no risk of losing any money when you try for the $500,000 question, I think the extra lifelines shouldn't even be available until after that level has been reached. I found the whole thing a bit anticlimactic.

[/quote]
 I disagree, I would feel pretty mad if I got to $100,000, only to find out that I had to get the next question right, in order to access the new lifelines, and then not know the question, and lose. That's not fair to the contestant.

starcade

Super Millionare
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2004, 06:48:22 PM »
Some general thoughts...

Like my friend said when I called during the show:  "These questions are (expletive)ing BRUTAL!!"

I think Kevin Olmstead's record is safe, unless something happens on tonight's which someone hinted at in a post here earlier...

gameshowguy2000

Super Millionare
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2004, 07:24:12 PM »
[quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 05:39 PM\'] I don't see more than $1M for anyone, and would be surprised if anyone even wins that much to break Dan Avila's record for the biggest-money question ever faced on a quiz.

I can't see anyone getting 13 here... [/quote]
 Except poor Dan lost by ONE answer.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Super Millionare
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2004, 07:37:47 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 05:24 PM\'] Except poor Dan lost by ONE answer. [/quote]
 Here's a hint: you lose by ONE answer here too. Every time.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

Super Millionare
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2004, 09:52:41 PM »
(Albeit the fact that I watched it alone downstairs, while my dad upstairs was watching an all-Elvis' edition of Anne's "Link" on GSN.

Odd that they'd air (IMO) a non-celeb ep in the Sun all-star slot, as opposed to weekdays...especially since they air the beauty queen ep in the weekday slot, which was also played for charity, yet apparently not considered an "all-star" show by GSN's standards.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Don Howard

Super Millionare
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2004, 08:42:51 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 07:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'starcade\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 05:39 PM\'] I don't see more than $1M for anyone, and would be surprised if anyone even wins that much to break Dan Avila's record for the biggest-money question ever faced on a quiz.

I can't see anyone getting 13 here... [/quote]
Except poor Dan lost by ONE answer. [/quote]
We know that. "biggest-money question ever FACED" was the quote, not biggest ever won. And Bobbo beat that last night, anyway.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 08:43:26 AM by Don Howard »

Clay Zambo

Super Millionare
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2004, 08:50:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 08:37 AM\'] The big reason I'm glad they did that was because that didn't give any of the ten people a chance to grace us with an allegedly humorous facial expression or gesture. [/quote]
 Right, I remember that.  But it would have been easy enough for stage managers to say, "Smile and nod, no screwing around or we'll have to do a re-shoot, and Regis will get very cranky."  After all, it's not live TV.  And what game doesn't properly introduce its on-air contestants?
czambo@mac.com

goongas

Super Millionare
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2004, 12:04:19 PM »
Winning Lines never introduced the contestants (all of the initial ones that played).  But I agree, they should introduce each FF player.  They probably don't want to show the audience all the middle aged white guys and a lack of diversity.

uncamark

Super Millionare
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2004, 04:38:06 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Feb 24 2004, 12:04 PM\']Winning Lines never introduced the contestants (all of the initial ones that played).  But I agree, they should introduce each FF player.  They probably don't want to show the audience all the middle aged white guys and a lack of diversity.[/quote]
No, it's simply that explaining the new lifelines is taking up the time that would've been spent on introducing the Ring of Fire.  That will probably be remedied if not by Thursday's show, at least by May (and Braun claims he has "Super Millionaire" penciled in for May).

Robert Hutchinson

Super Millionare
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2004, 06:53:05 PM »
Doing this from memory, as it's not intended to function in the capacity of a recap:

Sunday night--19 Hot Seat questions read, 2 Fastest Finger questions read.

Monday night--18 Hot Seat questions read, 3 Fastest Finger questions read.

No, they're not worried about breaking their budget. :)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin