The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Game show false memories

<< < (44/44)

Kevin Prather:

--- Quote from: tyshaun1 on August 04, 2023, 07:50:55 AM ---I also used to think that the slides would shuffle out of sync on purpose because a contestant was doing too well. Save for Larson (where they clearly did it on purpose halfway through his run), that clearly wasn't the case.

--- End quote ---

Did they do it on purpose, or was the computer getting tired?

Adam Nedeff:

--- Quote from: Kevin Prather on August 04, 2023, 11:51:57 AM ---
--- Quote from: tyshaun1 on August 04, 2023, 07:50:55 AM ---I also used to think that the slides would shuffle out of sync on purpose because a contestant was doing too well. Save for Larson (where they clearly did it on purpose halfway through his run), that clearly wasn't the case.

--- End quote ---

Did they do it on purpose, or was the computer getting tired?

--- End quote ---

Positive it was a tired computer. Also, doing it on purpose wouldn’t have done a bit of good. They figured out right away that he had memorized the stopping point for just a couple of key squares, it’s not like he was going for every square on the board. Intentionally screwing up the synchronization would have accomplished exactly nothing, except getting Carruthers Company burned to the ground by S&P.

Ian Wallis:

--- Quote from: Adam Nedeff on August 04, 2023, 12:00:12 PM ---Positive it was a tired computer. Also, doing it on purpose wouldn’t have done a bit of good. They figured out right away that he had memorized the stopping point for just a couple of key squares, it’s not like he was going for every square on the board. Intentionally screwing up the synchronization would have accomplished exactly nothing, except getting Carruthers Company burned to the ground by S&P.

--- End quote ---

I've always been of the mind that whenever the board went out of sync, it was purely coincidental and not intentional.  There seemed to be two timing devices the squares were connected to - every other square was connected to the other timing device (if that wording makes sense).  Sometimes when the board stopped, the square it stopped on would stop the device for that set of squares but the other would sometimes change.  That could cause it to be out of sync for the next spin.  It would get more out of sync if this scenario repeated a few times.

I did notice that usually after a whammy it would be in sync again.  I guess the extra few seconds for the whammy animation allowed them the time to sync it up again.

TimK2003:
There was a misconception when I was a kid that came to mind when watching old Barker episode of TPIR on YouTube:

I always thought the little "device" that Bob held in his hand during the Clock Game controlled everything from the price display to the starting and stopping the Clock. 

It took several years before I realized that it was a more elaborate "Password Word Wallet" that only showed the prices of the two prizes for Bob.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version