Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show false memories  (Read 56313 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Game show false memories
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2022, 09:23:02 PM »
Wait. Did it? The only Ca$word graphic I remember is the big green one that would "flip" onto the screen, then disappear the opposite direction.

Note the title of the thread. :)
Gotcha. I think I misread Unrealtor's comment as well. Carry on. :)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jamey Greek

« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2022, 09:22:25 PM »
Not a false memory as much as me being a stupid kid. My grandma got GSN as soon as it came out. I was 8. I remember watching the shows, not understanding the concept of reruns, and thought all the episodes were new... I would get so confused when Bob’s hair would be darker on TPIR.

Dude!  I would also get that same kind of confused seeing the old 20th Century Fox TV logo on $100k Pyramid reruns on USA!  As well as seeing the Viacom Silver V on Split Second reruns on FAM!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2022, 02:03:25 AM »
I forgot that I thought this until recently: when I was young, I thought the Hot Seat rose out of the floor on Millionaire, since it wasn't on stage during the Fastest Finger.

I was also under the impression that not only was the show live, but the intro was as well since the shot of the Times Square sign had the day of the week on it. In my six-year-old headcanon there were crowds of people outside à la GMA watching like it was a space shuttle launch or something. :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 07:17:05 AM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Kevin Prather

« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2022, 05:15:19 AM »
I forgot that I thought this until recently: when I was young, I thought the Hot Seat rose out of the floor on Millionaire, since it wasn't on stage during the Fastest Finger.

I thought that too. I also thought the computer was truly voice activated.

In my six-year-old headcanon there were crowds of people outside watching like it was a space shuttle launch or something. :)

If it wasn't for the six-year-old part, I'd say you were remembering the British intro.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2022, 07:15:27 AM »
If it wasn't for the six-year-old part, I'd say you were remembering the British intro.

Edited to clarify, I could see why you would think of that.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

calliaume

« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2022, 08:39:14 PM »
I get this, and honestly, that would have made a lot of people happy. We were there for an early taping during the first summer run, and taking the Hot Seat apparatus off the stage for the Fastest Finger and putting it back on afterward took about twenty minutes each time--and this was for a half-hour episode. It was pretty obvious Regis was not enjoying the delays.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2022, 12:09:04 AM »
I get this, and honestly, that would have made a lot of people happy. We were there for an early taping during the first summer run, and taking the Hot Seat apparatus off the stage for the Fastest Finger and putting it back on afterward took about twenty minutes each time--and this was for a half-hour episode. It was pretty obvious Regis was not enjoying the delays.

At what point did we stop doing that? January run? Did the UK stop doing it around the same time?

vtown7

« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2022, 07:11:53 AM »
I've got one that isn't related to watching a game show but rather being part of it.
I was picked as a contestant on Price during an August 2015 taping.  In my mind I calmly stood up, walked down to contestant's row, and went from there.
When I saw the show air four months later... not so much!  I don't think I've ran that fast in my life frankly.

Anyone else have an "in game experience" that they remembered differently from tape to air?

Ryan.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2022, 06:31:01 PM »
I've got one that isn't related to watching a game show but rather being part of it.
I was picked as a contestant on Price during an August 2015 taping.  In my mind I calmly stood up, walked down to contestant's row, and went from there.
When I saw the show air four months later... not so much!  I don't think I've ran that fast in my life frankly.

Anyone else have an "in game experience" that they remembered differently from tape to air?

Ryan.

I remember my arm flab wasn’t as jiggly as they made it seem to be. 🙂

I don’t know if this was what you meant, but when I first got to watch it back I could still remember clearly almost everything that happened including stuff that they left on the cutting room floor.

Quite certain I’m not the only one to be able to say that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2022, 12:19:25 AM »

Ryan.

On wheel, I couldn't spell "jewelry" back then. Can't spell it now (had it not been for autocorrect).

That, and to go through 15-20 minutes for a $9,000 payoff really flew by.

JMFabiano

« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2022, 11:01:06 AM »
Here's one, forgot if I mentioned it...

Remembering seeing the original High Rollers format. 

It is possible I took what I saw of HR (end of the 1978 run; I started remember things by 1980) and combined it with seeing the original Battlestars later, and believing I saw the Face Lifters bonus round.  If that makes sense.  Hey, Trebek was on both. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

carlisle96

« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2022, 01:07:36 PM »

I was a contestant during the first series in August 2000. It took about 90 mutes to tape a 30 minute episode. Regis was clearly anxious. We were told he would stick around, sign autographs, and chat for a little while after the show but he got out of there seconds after saying goodnight.

steveleb

« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2022, 01:46:43 PM »
I hopped as you know.  It took thirty minutes to complete my edited intro to tom asking me about myself.  The headphones malfunctioned when I was offstage and because someone shouted the show was running long I nearly tripped when I ran out for my board

Unrealtor

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2022, 04:19:40 PM »
To go back to false memories one had as a viewer, inspired by a thread over on Golden-Road: I would have sworn that Freeze Frame debuted as an electrically operated game without the panel behind the legs to conceal the stagehand (just before the edict that everything be operated manually), but YouTube confirms that it was there from the start.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

TimK2003

« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2022, 06:18:54 PM »
ISTR, when watching the July 4th episode of Trebek's first High Rollers incarnation, that doubles did not give you insurance markers in the main match...only in the Bonus Round.

I had thought that insurance markers were always available for any good doubles in both the matches and in the bonus game.