Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker Price coming to Pluto TV  (Read 8688 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Re: Barker Price coming to Pluto TV
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 08:46:44 AM »
Holler when the apothecary chest shows up!
@lambertman

tvmitch

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 09:24:25 AM »
From 1982 will have Barker's Beauties and the legendary Johnny O saying "Come on down." Plus all those grandfather clocks and dinette sets.

A grandfather clock was literally the first IUFB I saw when I checked it out this morning.
When I tuned in during the 8am hour, I saw a Most Expensive for a flowery couch, a 25" console TV, and a yellow fridge freezer. The fridge freezer was just about as much as a general midrange fridge freezer at Lowe's in 2020.

Glorious. This will be a very fun channel to have. A great element of surprise each time you watch.
You should follow me on Twitter

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 09:28:22 AM »
I caught a couple episodes last night. This could be a fun little binge...I think this is when the show hit its stride.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gamed121683

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 09:46:39 AM »
The Pluto channel now has there own YouTube page and one of the videos they recently posted is this promo. 

In the comments section, someone asked if they'll eventually play some '90s episodes of the show. The channel (Well, the PR people running it, anyway) replied: "It's going to take us awhile to get there! We are starting with Season 11 and are aiming to go in order."

I don't know if they actually ARE going to play all of Barker's last 24 years on the air (I have my doubts), but can you imagine if they do? I don't know how many episodes that comes out to, but I'm sure it will make FXX's Simpsons launch marathon a few years back look like a walk in the park in comparison.

Robair

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 10:29:10 AM »
At first blush, it looks like the folks at Pluto will do 8 episodes every day, rough chronological order, with the block airing thrice, at midnight, 8AM and 4PM. So any day you can watch for whatever 8 hours you want and see 8 different shows.
--Robair

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 10:33:27 AM »
Barker hosted what, about 6,500 episodes*? A quick Google tells me episode 6,000 aired in March 2004; ep. 7,000 was November '09.

I'm guessing he did about 200 episodes a season, so even with the first ten years missing, they'd have about 4,500 episodes to work with, give or take a couple hundred. But I think they'd keep it to just 80s and early-90s era, which still gives them a couple thousand to use. Go from 1982 to about 1993, and cherry pick a dozen episodes from each year. They would repeat no more than the MST3K or Unsolved Mysteries channels that repeat every few days.

*Don't need an exact number, just spitballing here.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BillCullen1

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »
Holler when the apothecary chest shows up!

Hey, watch your language :) 

We're going to see some games that have long been retired. They just played "it's Optional" a few minutes ago. If they get to '86/'87, we'll see Bob with grey hair. I'm figuring they did 175 eps (35 weeks) for each season. So multiply that by 25 seasons since they're starting with Season 11.

BillCullen1

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 12:34:59 PM »
Add Trader Bob, Penny Ante and the Poker Game to the list of retired games played. I'm waiting for Super Ball and Pick a Pair with the ferris wheel.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 01:56:45 PM »
Just to temper expectations a little bit, keep in mind that neither Pluto nor Buzzr has a track record of immediately digitizing hundreds of hours of a series for a channel's launch. I would not be surprised in the slightest if, six months from now, they're still exclusively within season 11.

Which is still great, no question about it, and I'm only frustrated that my workload right now is such that I have to wait a couple of weeks before I get to start watching regularly. But any speculation about when this new channel might start getting to (insert season/decade here) is a little premature.

bulldog_06

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 02:12:45 PM »
They have shown Trader Bob, Penny Ante and Super Ball. So refreshing to see these retired games.

Add Trader Bob, Penny Ante and the Poker Game to the list of retired games played. I'm waiting for Super Ball and Pick a Pair with the ferris wheel.

gamed121683

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 02:19:19 PM »
Just to temper expectations a little bit, keep in mind that neither Pluto nor Buzzr has a track record of immediately digitizing hundreds of hours of a series for a channel's launch. I would not be surprised in the slightest if, six months from now, they're still exclusively within season 11.

Which is still great, no question about it, and I'm only frustrated that my workload right now is such that I have to wait a couple of weeks before I get to start watching regularly. But any speculation about when this new channel might start getting to (insert season/decade here) is a little premature.

Agreed! Like I said, I'm not holding my breath that they actually converted all of Barker's last quarter century of Price. Rather they converted just enough (Probably a hundred or so episodes) for the casual viewer to say in passing, "OMG, I'm reliving my summer vacation/sick days from the 80s again!" Heck, even Carson TV on Pluto loops the same 100+ episodes again and again like a hotel information channel. Look, the fact that we can watch these reruns on TV again at all is a fantastic early Christmas gift.   

As for Robair, you may be on to something with the rerun blocks playing in 8 hour intervals.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 04:53:26 PM »
If you run the same 8-hour block three times a day, and create enough content that the shows only repeat every two weeks (which seems plenty for this sort of fire-and-forget subchannel), that's 112 episodes, which sounds about right in that context.  Maybe make it an even 120 so that the repeats aren't always on the same day of the week.

jage

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 05:18:01 PM »
Wht's the fifth? (I know of GSN, Buzzr, Game Show Central and now the TPIR channel)

STIRR has an all-Deal Or No Deal channel.
That one is also on Pluto.

JMFabiano

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 06:25:35 PM »
The episode that is there now just got to the first SCSD and the fee plugs are there, only one item is described.  Always like this, or did Fremantle do an MG/HS type edit to the plugs?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2020, 06:34:47 PM »
The episode that is there now just got to the first SCSD and the fee plugs are there, only one item is described.  Always like this, or did Fremantle do an MG/HS type edit to the plugs?

Different kind of plug. The group of 3 plugs for "contestants not appearing on stage" was before the second Showcase Showdown.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck