The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Which game show had the best pilot?

<< < (3/6) > >>

BrandonFG:
Al reminded me of another good one...Kevin O'Connell's Keynotes pilot from 1986. I'm still surprised that one didn't sell, although I'm not sure what show gets the axe to make room. PYL was close to cancellation, but I doubt CBS tries another show at 4:00 pm; the morning games all pulled respectable ratings. Maybe they shuffle a few things around when Capitol gets canceled?

tyshaun1:

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on July 24, 2020, 05:57:07 PM ---Al reminded me of another good one...Kevin O'Connell's Keynotes pilot from 1986. I'm still surprised that one didn't sell, although I'm not sure what show gets the axe to make room. PYL was close to cancellation, but I doubt CBS tries another show at 4:00 pm; the morning games all pulled respectable ratings. Maybe they shuffle a few things around when Capitol gets canceled?

--- End quote ---

Card Sharks, at the time, was losing out to $ale and Michael Brockman (head of CBS Daytime) made mention in a Broadcasting article that he wanted to see some improvement by the fall in order for it to survive. That being said, I'm of the understanding that a network would often shoot a pilot simply to avoid writing off the budgets they had devoted to test shows.  For example, Blackout wasn't picked up until over a year after shooting the pilot.

PYLdude:
When it comes to ones that didn’t sell, I kinda enjoyed Matchmates. Thought the gameplay was fun, and the bonus was cool. The pacing annoyed me a little but it seemed like an easy enough fix if it was to sell.

I also was a fan of the Jim Lange 21 pilot, except for the bonus round which I just felt was tacked on and didn’t really serve much purpose; why would you have me play for the standard B&E prize package of a handful of cash and a cheap vacation when I’m already likely to win at least twice that in the main game if I’m lucky? (I say “cheap vacation” because it doesn’t always seem like the trip has a high value in itself; I will also freely admit I’m not an expert in what $2k-3k worth of merchandise would be worth in today’s figures as opposed to 1982.) It wasn’t the worst bonus idea ever, just didn’t feel like it fit.

TLEberle:
Matchmates is a great choice—Grundy’s knew how to make a show look professional, plus we know the genesis of the Winners Big Money Game.

PYLdude:
I’ll admit I also kinda liked Eye Q, even if Henry Polic II wasn’t great as a host and the combination of Eye Guess and Concentration was a little weird in execution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version