Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Woolery's Departure from Wheel  (Read 9484 times)

beatlefreak84

Re: Woolery's Departure from Wheel
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2021, 12:59:54 AM »
Somehow doesn't surprise me in the least. Reminds me of a couple of moments I've seen on Press Your Luck where an audience member shouted an answer out, and the contestants heard it, and Peter responded by bellowing at the audience to "STOP IT!" in a manner I've never seen from any other host, before or since. I mean, he sounded legit pissed, like he was ready to stop tape right there, if he could've.

I actually found a clip of said incident (I remembered the episode because it was one of the first ones I had recorded on VHS from when I was a kid!) and link to it below, but I honestly did not read it the same way as you did.  I originally found it funny, and I guess the showrunners must have as well, or they wouldn't have left it in the broadcast.

NOTE:  It's a point-and-shoot, but I couldn't find a better quality video of this episode, so I simply skipped to the question that leads to the incident (the actual incident is less than a minute):

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Kevin Prather

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2021, 03:16:41 AM »
Somehow doesn't surprise me in the least. Reminds me of a couple of moments I've seen on Press Your Luck where an audience member shouted an answer out, and the contestants heard it, and Peter responded by bellowing at the audience to "STOP IT!" in a manner I've never seen from any other host, before or since. I mean, he sounded legit pissed, like he was ready to stop tape right there, if he could've.

I actually found a clip of said incident (I remembered the episode because it was one of the first ones I had recorded on VHS from when I was a kid!) and link to it below, but I honestly did not read it the same way as you did.  I originally found it funny, and I guess the showrunners must have as well, or they wouldn't have left it in the broadcast.

Seriously, that was 100% all in fun. And Bryce says he's never seen a host talk like that, he must have never seen an episode of Wheel of Fortune in his life.

tvwxman

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »

NOTE:  It's a point-and-shoot, but I couldn't find a better quality video of this episode, so I simply skipped to the question that leads to the incident (the actual incident is less than a minute):

Anthony

We had a debate over THAT? C'mon people .
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2021, 03:51:26 PM »

Anthony

Peter was a smart-aleck (sometimes?), but that didn't look like that was done out of anger. I would've done it the same way.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2021, 12:24:43 AM »
Uploaded the episode to remove the potato effect, same timestamp:

It's a nothing burger.  Just Peter having a little fun while chastising the audience to knock it off (a legit issue)

steveleb

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2021, 02:44:55 PM »
Adding on:

Hittin Home was a shining example of how little station managers valued creatives.  Michael Krauss may be familiar as the aggressive manager husband of Joan Lunden, who was Katie Couric before there was Katie--the top-rated morning news lady who middle aged males in TV secretly wished they could boff.  Those connections got Michael to Post-Newsweek, who frequently dabbled in co-productions with syndicators because they owned some very successful traditional affiliates in "1A" markets like Detroit, Washington and Miami, among others.  Many syndication execs of the era (especially true of Group W) came from sales roles with these stations, so plans for shows like these were done over steak, whiskey and hookers, not in production offices.   Chuck was a known name who many of these execs' wives did have a crush on--and who didn't have a crush on Jo Ann Pflug?  Hire some schmuck to write hype copy like this, fly everybody to NATPE, and hope a similar round of steak, whiskey and hookers gets an O and O group sold.  Not this time.

If these elements look familiar:  America! was a very similar concept that did get produced, and was a massively expensive bomb.  Michael cast his missus in Everyday a couple of years after that--again the same concept of local news filler material interspersed with promo circuit gabbing--and also got the chance to fail.  The price after that was the falling apart of his marriage and the bankruptcy of the company.

And as for Randy--well while I own up to the fact that after a few decades I may misremember a few details on dates and markets I won't ever argue on social media that I'm right when I'm not nor will I constantly hype a tell-all book with the sincerity of a certain former president he doesn't miss the chance to find the time to knock while he hypes his book?

Maybe Randy should write a tell-all about how he honestly feels about certain friends he chooses to worship in at times questionable ways?

Just sayin...

tvwxman

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2021, 05:47:56 PM »
Adding on:

Hittin Home was a shining example of how little station managers valued creatives.  Michael Krauss may be familiar as the aggressive manager husband of Joan Lunden, who was Katie Couric before there was Katie--the top-rated morning news lady who middle aged males in TV secretly wished they could boff.  Those connections got Michael to Post-Newsweek, who frequently dabbled in co-productions with syndicators because they owned some very successful traditional affiliates in "1A" markets like Detroit, Washington and Miami, among others.  Many syndication execs of the era (especially true of Group W) came from sales roles with these stations, so plans for shows like these were done over steak, whiskey and hookers, not in production offices.   Chuck was a known name who many of these execs' wives did have a crush on--and who didn't have a crush on Jo Ann Pflug?  Hire some schmuck to write hype copy like this, fly everybody to NATPE, and hope a similar round of steak, whiskey and hookers gets an O and O group sold.  Not this time.

If these elements look familiar:  America! was a very similar concept that did get produced, and was a massively expensive bomb.  Michael cast his missus in Everyday a couple of years after that--again the same concept of local news filler material interspersed with promo circuit gabbing--and also got the chance to fail.  The price after that was the falling apart of his marriage and the bankruptcy of the company.

And as for Randy--well while I own up to the fact that after a few decades I may misremember a few details on dates and markets I won't ever argue on social media that I'm right when I'm not nor will I constantly hype a tell-all book with the sincerity of a certain former president he doesn't miss the chance to find the time to knock while he hypes his book?

Maybe Randy should write a tell-all about how he honestly feels about certain friends he chooses to worship in at times questionable ways?

Just sayin...

Best post of the week. So many teachable moments in this. Thank you Steve L!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"