The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

1979-Bob Clayton Obituary and Tribute

<< < (2/2)

JasonA1:
Steve O'Brien announced the bulk of 20k after Bob's passing.

-Jason

thomas_meighan:
From Ancestry.com documents, it looks like Clayton was his mother's maiden name.

Wiki and IMDB both give Atlanta as his birthplace, but records on Ancestry indicate that he was born in Birmingham, Alabama. The 1940 census shows both of his parents and two siblings as being born in Alabama.

calliaume:

--- Quote from: BillCullen1 on March 31, 2020, 08:36:52 AM ---In addition to Pyramid, Clayton also announced Shoot For the Stars and the short-lived Blankety Blanks and Pass The Buck for Stewart. My friend would occasionally talk to Clayton after tapings. He told my friend that Goodson-Todman approached him about hosting Concentration. But he did not want to commute or move out to California, so he said thanks but no thanks.

In '75, the Elysee Theater was quite busy as Pyramid, The Big Showdown and Blankety Blanks were all taping there. Each show would do three weeks of tapings in one week. Before that, Get the Message and way back when, The Name's The Same taped there.

--- End quote ---
Belatedly: useful information on Bob Clayton being considered for hosting the syndicated Concentration--thanks. It seems to me G-T would almost always bring back the original hosts in new versions unless they were otherwise occupied (Jim Perry) or definitively would not/could not do it (Bud Collyer, John Daly). Richard Dawson was the exception to this rule.

I'm going to take a guess that the taping schedule outlined above (Pyramid, The Big Showdown, and Blankety Blanks taping fifteen episodes in a week) might have been partly for Dick Clark's benefit, to cut down on his commuting. Also probably saved money on setting up and tearing down the sets.

The Ol' Guy:
Here's another fine article on Bob that includes a picture of him on the set of Make A Face. https://tralfaz.blogspot.com/2013/08/concentrations-bob-clayton.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version