The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

MG/HS cheating?

<< < (2/5) > >>

calliaume:
This was discussed briefly in another thread a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,31342.195.html

Given another week or so to consider this, I wonder if Jon might have been exaggerating this - it may have happened, but not regularly.  I'd think that if Gene had seen someone writing two answers (and he would have the better opportunity to see it happen), he'd call it out to the producers.

Also, MGP was pretty protective of the contestants, and this clearly would have been affecting the outcome of the game (what if the contestant loses by one match?).  Richard Dawson was quoted in Maxine Fabe's book about the 1970s show thusly:  "Some of the worst celebrities on game shows are the stand-up comics.  They're getting big laughs with an ad lib, and the contestant's ten thousand bucks [are] going down the the drain.  All someone has to do on Match Game is to try that one and they're never invited back.  There's just too much at stake for our contestants for one wise guy to blow it all on a joke."

Kevin Prather:

--- Quote from: calliaume on November 12, 2019, 09:26:33 AM --- They're getting big laughs with an ad lib, and the contestant's ten thousand bucks [are] going down the the drain.  All someone has to do on Match Game is to try that one and they're never invited back.  There's just too much at stake for our contestants for one wise guy to blow it all on a joke."

--- End quote ---

And yet Patti Deutsch was invited back again and again.

Neumms:
The story, and I’m sorry to miss the earlier link, is seeming dodgier. Bad for contestants but not rule-violating would be to simply write way-out-there answers in round 1. The game is made for that.

If Bowzer saw it himself during the MG/HS run in which he’s seriously vested, one would think he’d tell the producers immediately. Possibly he did, the star stopped doing it, and Bowzer is inflating the story.

I accuse Fred Travelena. He was a screen hog, and Evanier would know him by reputation.

Neumms:

--- Quote from: Kevin Prather on November 12, 2019, 10:02:11 AM ---And yet Patti Deutsch was invited back again and again.

--- End quote ---

Yes. She matched no less often than Joyce Bullifant, but her answers were clever and funny. Same for Marcia Wallace.

rebelwrest:

--- Quote from: Neumms on November 12, 2019, 04:50:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kevin Prather on November 12, 2019, 10:02:11 AM ---And yet Patti Deutsch was invited back again and again.

--- End quote ---

Yes. She matched no less often than Joyce Bullifant, but her answers were clever and funny. Same for Marcia Wallace.

--- End quote ---

I believe Patti gave the wacky answers in round 1 only and did it for both contestants.  In round 2, she played it straight.  The women in the 6th seat knew when to play for laughs and when to try to match the contestants.  This is why they were invited back for MANY years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version