Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Millionaire's New Rules Out  (Read 14517 times)

DrJWJustice

Super Millionaire's New Rules Out
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2004, 04:47:22 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 04:29 PM\'] They couldn't think of a more creative name for Three Wise Men?  How about "Ask the Experts"? [/quote]
 Is that going forwards or backwards with the creativity?  Personally, I think Three Wise Men has more of a ring to it, or perhaps a CHA-CHING! for some lucky contestant.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2004, 04:50:13 PM »
I'm not as sickened by the Mo' Money Syndrome as Chris is, but I do agree with him -- I'm going to be very surprised if anyone goes past the $2.5 million question.
Depends. If a contestant can hang onto the nuclear option, a.k.a. the Double Dip, you might see some serious risk-taking. Don't know if it will happen in just a five-night run. But if there are lots of shows with these rules, I can see somebody eventually narrowing down the five or ten mill question to two choices...and deciding to go for ALL the gusto with the Double Dip. That's a mighty powerful lifeline, much stronger than any of the others.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 04:50:49 PM by CaseyAbell »

DrBear

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2004, 04:51:32 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 03:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 04:29 PM\'] They couldn't think of a more creative name for Three Wise Men?  How about "Ask the Experts"? [/quote]
Is that going forwards or backwards with the creativity?  Personally, I think Three Wise Men has more of a ring to it, or perhaps a CHA-CHING! for some lucky contestant. [/quote]

Well, they could go with 'Ask the Geeks' Hey, where's the TV geek - er, Wise Man - anyway?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 06:34:04 PM by DrBear »
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2004, 04:52:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 04:06 PM\'] Woolery left Wheel! [/quote]
 OMG!  The world is coming to an end!  Heaven help us all!  

I prefer Lynn Swann left To Tell The Truth, personally.  :-P

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2004, 05:06:45 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 03:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 04:29 PM\'] They couldn't think of a more creative name for Three Wise Men?  How about "Ask the Experts"? [/quote] [/quote]
 "Ask The Experts?"

That sounds like a lifeline taken from the cyber version of Millionaire hosted by Dave Adams and Tom Sabatelli.

MYosua

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2004, 05:11:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 03:49 PM\'] I don't see them letting that happen. Since there is a stip that says once you decide to Double Dip, you're in for the duration (which I assume means if you pick once and miss you don't get to bail out halfway through), I would wager there is ALSO a stip that states it must be used alone. It's simply too powerful when combined with practically ANY other lifeline, save perhaps Ask The Audience. [/quote]
 That's what thought they'd do too, especially given the provision that you can't walk away after one choice, but I couldn't help but think what would happen if they didn't say it couldn't be combined.  As you pointed out, nearly any combination of lifelines involving the DD could be too powerful.  I'd argue that even ATA + DD might also be too powerful, if the results of the poll show 2 answers that have significantly more responses than the other 2.  Then the contestant can go with the audience twice, and hope one answer is OK.  (Of course, since these are all upper-tier questions, the audience might not be the most reliable...)

JTFriends1

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2004, 05:55:39 PM »
Steve Beverly says he was part of a conference call with Davies and Philbin this afternoon, during which, they said that a contestant who has reserved a 50-50 for the upper tier can guarantee a correct answer by combining it with the Double Dip.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2004, 06:11:37 PM »
[quote name=\'JTFriends1\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 05:55 PM\'] Steve Beverly says he was part of a conference call with Davies and Philbin this afternoon, during which, they said that a contestant who has reserved a 50-50 for the upper tier can guarantee a correct answer by combining it with the Double Dip. [/quote]
 Interesting...

The biggest problem I have with this is that if someone has Double Dip and 50:50 going to the last question, theoretically they've already won (unless they're really stupid, which they shouldn't be if they've gotten that far).  Which would make the final question very anticlimactic to anyone who notices that.

DrBear

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2004, 06:36:20 PM »
Devious plot twist - have they said that all questions will continue to have four choices? Questions over the million level might have six answers. You could have a 50/50 chop it down to 3,  then the double dip eliminate one wrong one...and you still have two choices.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

SplitSecond

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2004, 06:39:55 PM »
Well, for the sake of semantics, the 50/50 lifeline would give the player a 50/50 shot at the right answer, still producing two possibilities, regardless of how many choices were presented originally

Little Big Brother

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2004, 06:41:16 PM »
We have to also remember that the questions will probably (hopefully) become extremely difficult, leaving the possibilty of having both the 50:50 and DD at question 50 rather remote (again, hopefully).  However, if the stack is incredibly difficult and a person is able to navigate through 14 questions without using those lifelines, they probably (hopefully) deserved to win anyway.

zachhoran

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2004, 06:51:10 PM »
[quote name=\'JTFriends1\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 03:14 PM\']
Three Wise Men allows the player to consult with three trivia experts (men and women, Davies notes) who will be in a different part of the "Millionaire" studio. The experts will include a mix of journalists, academics and past game-show champions.

[/quote]
 There are a few people on this board who'd be perfect for the former contestant portion of this triumvirate.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2004, 06:53:29 PM »
[quote name=\'JTFriends1\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 05:55 PM\'] Steve Beverly says he was part of a conference call with Davies and Philbin this afternoon, during which, they said that a contestant who has reserved a 50-50 for the upper tier can guarantee a correct answer by combining it with the Double Dip. [/quote]
 And you believe everything The Perfessor says?  OK, he might have been in that call, but I've seen an awful lot of postings from real game show insiders who say that staffers have been told on several shows not to talk to him.

scully24

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2004, 06:59:42 PM »
I've seen an awful lot of postings from real game show insiders who say that staffers have been told on several shows not to talk to him.

Is that because he's inaccurate, or just because the shows didn't want important information to leak out?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2004, 07:30:22 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 02:29 PM\'] They couldn't think of a more creative name for Three Wise Men?  How about "Ask the Experts"? [/quote]
 Frankly, I think Three Wise Men is a pretty clever name.

Why is "Ask The Experts" moreso? Screams "BORING!" to me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe