The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

What happens during the commercials?

(1/5) > >>

Casey:
Having never been to a game show taping even, I've always been kind of curious what happens during the commercial breaks, especially as far as the contestants are concerned.  Does the host leave the set right away and not come back until the taping is about to resume?  If you are playing with a celebrity, do they chit-chat with you?  That sort of thing...

PPatters:
For the game show I was on, commercial breaks were usually quick. They may adjust cameras, set contestants where they need to be, and touch up makeup and hair. The host and celebrities did stick around and talk. The producers came up, too, to discuss strategies, what you did well and what you may adjust, etc... (That sounds like a lot, but seriously they were literally usually just 2 minute breaks.)

jage:
I'm surprised S&P would allow for talk of strategy, etc.

TLEberle:
PP: what were you on?

Jags: producers are trying to get the most out of their players so talking to them about voice modulation, pacing and the like would be things to go over during downtime.

whewfan:

--- Quote from: isucgv on August 28, 2019, 07:11:18 PM ---Having never been to a game show taping even, I've always been kind of curious what happens during the commercial breaks, especially as far as the contestants are concerned.  Does the host leave the set right away and not come back until the taping is about to resume?  If you are playing with a celebrity, do they chit-chat with you?  That sort of thing...

--- End quote ---

I've never seen the host leave the set on the shows I've seen (Baldwin MG, Card Sharks 2001, J!, TPIR, Hollywood Squares) Only Bob talked with the contestants and the audience. With the other shows, that's left up to the warmup person. Alex does talk at length with the audience, but the tapings I've seen, sometimes he did have to talk with the producers about whatever was supposed to be done. I haven't seen a Pyramid taping, but I can imagine there's almost no talking between celebs and contestants. It might be a standards and practices issue. I know none of the Squares chatted it up with the players. There's always that fear of contestants getting material important to the game, as it's assumed that the celebs may know some of it in advance (that is true of HS as answers to questions are supplied) Regarding the warmup person, the MG tapings I saw, the warmup guy wasn't so much involved except in the beginning. The Warmup guy for HS was obnoxious, and his schtick was primarily making prank calls, and assuming this was legit, he's prank called some of these people more than once, as the people that answer know right away it's him and hang up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version