The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Improving the Winner's Big Money Game

<< < (6/7) > >>

tyshaun1:
I wonder if perhaps it was the competition's (Press Your Luck) performance during fall 1984 that necessitated the changes to $OTC in October; with the limited info I've seen, I do know the ratings between them were pretty close for most of the time they up against each other. Paging Jason....

JasonA1:
Hi! :)

A bit of context: for $ale's first 13 weeks, it averaged a 19 share to Child's Play's 20. By fall 1983, it flips considerably, with $ale averaging a 23 to CP's 17. Enter Press Your Luck.

It takes a few months, but the shows end up neck-and-neck, averaging 20 shares at the end of '83. Throughout '84, Press is a consistent winner, sometimes by as much as 3%.

In April '85, $ale takes the lead back, 20 to 19. $ale's best period I can see is June 1985, where it averages a 21 share to PYL's 18. However, coverage and total share are slipping for both shows - $ale continues to win, but with 19 or 17.

Press Your Luck moves to 4:00 PM in January '86 cleared in less than half the country and pulling a 6 share. It ticks up a skosh after the first 13 weeks to 50% clearance and a 7 share, but that's the best it'll do there in both respects.

Meanwhile, $ale is outperforming Card Sharks all through their time against each other, usually by 1%. But again, it's like a cartoon flipbook - as you go forward in time, the share numbers are sliding down. By the time $ale leaves in 1989, it's losing in its new slot - 10 AM- against Family Feud, 14 to 13.

-Jason

Dbacksfan12:
Well, I'm curious about something now...
When did Sale make the change to WBMG?  Did Goodson complain about the similarity to Concentration?

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on September 16, 2019, 04:11:13 PM ---When did Sale make the change to WBMG?  Did Goodson complain about the similarity to Concentration?

--- End quote ---
Late-1987. November or December, I believe.

Now I wonder whether the change came from $ale and Classic airing back-to-back, but that's just speculation on my part.

Joe Mello:

--- Quote from: JasonA1 on September 16, 2019, 02:39:56 PM ---In April '85, $ale takes the lead back, 20 to 19. $ale's best period I can see is June 1985, where it averages a 21 share to PYL's 18. However, coverage and total share are slipping for both shows - $ale continues to win, but with 19 or 17.
--- End quote ---
I wonder what the cause of the mutual slide-off was. Was it just cable existing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version