The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Catch 21 coming back to GSN...

<< < (2/8) > >>

pacdude:
For those who can't read the article: https://outline.com/jJvtH8

Sonic Whammy:
Even for someone who doesn't get GSN right now, I'm all for this.

Catch 21 was a very put together show, TBH, one of their best over the past 10 years. Now some of you can dump on that all you want (as seems to happen with almost any GSN show that didn't start with "The" and end in "Chase"), but WE here in this group are NOT the public at large and we never will be. The public at large by the standards GSN usually has are watching America Says and Common Knowledge. And it's because of those shows doing so well that they're in a rebirth period of "hey, let's do more stuff". And what does that mean? Less Harvey (the only thing they had getting any ratings before this all started)!

It may not be the show most hoped for around here, but hey, baby steps. Root for these shows to succeed whether you're big on them or not, and your chances of seeing bigger things out of GSN can only grow.

colonial:
From the description, "Best Ever Trivia Show" sounds like "Chase" on a budget -- perhaps a livelier take on the BBC's "Eggheads" (which is similar in scope with the "team of trivia experts vs. team of Average Joes" format and is essentially "The Chase" on Valium).

Don't have an issue with "Catch 21" returning. It was harmless daytime fare the first time around and should be the same again.

JD

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: Sonic Whammy on March 21, 2019, 04:06:13 PM ---Even for someone who doesn't get GSN right now, I'm all for this.

Catch 21 was a very put together show, TBH, one of their best over the past 10 years. Now some of you can dump on that all you want (as seems to happen with almost any GSN show that didn't start with "The" and end in "Chase")

--- End quote ---
(citation needed) :P The worst thing I saw about Catch 21 from this forum was that most of the contestants were annoying but attractive. Everything else was take it or leave it.

I like the new model GSN is striving for...air a few low-stakes game shows every day. Reminds me a bit of what USA did in the mid/late-80s. I do think GSN could focus more on polishing the game and less on trying to create shareable zany moments a la Family Feud, but that's Game Shows 2019.

/Need any more pitches, GSN?
//I've got a few lying around

JasonA1:

--- Quote from: Sonic Whammy on March 21, 2019, 04:06:13 PM ---Catch 21 was a very put together show, TBH, one of their best over the past 10 years. Now some of you can dump on that all you want (as seems to happen with almost any GSN show that didn't start with "The" and end in "Chase")
--- End quote ---

Where did this ax to grind come from? I'm all for discussion here, but pitting yourself against this silent-yet-apparently-still-existing group seems odd.

My impression of the board's collective impression of Catch 21 was benign-to-good. If anything, the show didn't/doesn't inspire discussion here for the same reason any long-running show doesn't: it had a happy run and did what it set out to do. As far as our discussion boards have gone, that sort of performance doesn't get heaps of unsolicited praise, nor does it solicit angry mobs.

-Jason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version