The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Which host was better?

<< < (3/13) > >>

TimK2003:
• Trebek over Wink on High Rollers.
• Meredith Viera over the other guys on syndicated Millionaire (although Regis outranks Meredith overall).
• Kennedy over Barry on Break The Bank.

/Jack looked creepier with the dark glasses than did Tom.

SuperMatch93:
GE College Bowl: I prefer Robert Earle to Allen Ludden because his style seemed more energetic while still not going over the top. On that type of show Ludden seemed a bit too laid-back from what I've seen.

Neumms:

--- Quote from: Chief-O on January 04, 2019, 06:08:50 PM ---"Card Sharks": Rafferty. Sounds like a hot take, but I loved .

--- End quote ---

I saw most of my Rafferty on Blockbusters, but am not a fan. Did you hear him after the car winner left? He tells us that her car was stolen, so a nice story, but ends by wagging his finger and saying, “good things come to those—“ and stopping. Huh? Those who wait? Wait to steal a car? He was neither smooth nor likeable. Give me Jim Perry any day.

Another to consider: To Tell the Truth. Lots to pick from. Collyer, Moore, Uncle Bill filling in or Garagiola? Robin Ward, eh? The NBC options? O’Hurley or the present Anthony Anderson?

Me, I never cared for Bud Collyer. Too pious. I liked Garry Moore and loved Gordon Elliott in his short time. I remember him kneeling to ask Kitty Carlisle to annoint him as host, and his humor made up for some dull panels.

BillCullen1:

--- Quote from: TimK2003 on January 05, 2019, 11:13:24 AM ---• Trebek over Wink on High Rollers.
• Meredith Viera over the other guys on syndicated Millionaire (although Regis outranks Meredith overall).
• Kennedy over Barry on Break The Bank.

/Jack looked creepier with the dark glasses than did Tom.

--- End quote ---

Agree with all of the above. Barry looked like a 50-year-old teenager on BTB with the glasses and hair dye job. I remember when he held up the sample board and was explaining the rules, you heard some of the celebs chuckling in the background on some shows.

Other shows

Card Sharks - Perry 1st, Rafferty 2nd, Eubanks 3rd
Name That Tune - Kennedy 1st, Lange 2nd, James 3rd. Never saw the 50s version
Tic Tac Dough - Martindale 1st, Caldwell 2nd, Wayne a distant 3rd
Password - Ludden 1st, Kennedy 2nd, Philbin 3rd, Convy 4th
Pyramid - Clark, Cullen, Strahan, Osmond, Richards and Davidson
Match Game - Rayburn 1st, Shafer 2nd, Baldwin 3rd
Hollywood Squares - Marshall 1st, Bergeron 2nd, Davidson 3rd
Family Feud - Dawson, Combs, O'Hurley, Harvey, Karn, Anderson
BTC - Collyer, Narz, Hall, Wood, Kroeger
TNTS - R Q Lewis, D James, C Fadiman, Bob and Ray
TPIR current version - Barker, Kennedy, James, Doug Davidson, Carey
TTTT - I grew up with the Garry Moore version. Too many other hosts to place.

BillCullen1:
A few more:

WML - Daly, Blyden, Bruner
Chain Reaction - Cullen, Edwards, Catherwood, Lane
Jackpot - Edwards over Darrow any day
$128,000 Question - Trebek over Darrow, hands down
Shoot For The Stars/Double Talk - Edwards over Polic II
NYSI - Narz was a better host. C Henry's version had a better format.
Blockbusters - Cullen was better, Rafferty was funnier

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version