Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Dating Game...  (Read 5225 times)

Kevin Prather

The Dating Game...
« on: February 04, 2004, 09:30:52 PM »
In 1970, Karen and Richard Carpenter appeared on the Dating Game, Karen as the bachelorette in round 1, and Richard as one of the bachelors in round 2.

So my question...when GSN aired TDG, did they ever air this episode?

TwoInchQuad

The Dating Game...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 10:12:04 PM »
I'm fairly certain they ran this as part of one of their marathons, not long ago... but maybe my memory is a little hazy.

In any event, this ep still exists, and they may get to it at some point.

-Kevin
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 10:12:38 PM by TwoInchQuad »

Kevin Prather

The Dating Game...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 10:13:26 PM »
Well, they dont run TDG anymore, i don't think.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
The Dating Game...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 10:56:35 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 4 2004, 08:30 PM\'] In 1970, Karen and Richard Carpenter appeared on the Dating Game, Karen as the bachelorette in round 1, and Richard as one of the bachelors in round 2.

So my question...when GSN aired TDG, did they ever air this episode? [/quote]
 I seem to recall GSN airing that episode as part of a "Summer of Love" marathon, featuring TDG episodes with musical performances (there was another one with Michael Jackson, circa 1972).  I'm thinking August 1999 for when GSN aired this.  I don't think it ever showed up in regular rotation.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Robair

The Dating Game...
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 11:55:51 PM »
They also showed the episode as part of their "Celebrity Dating Game" Saturday night feature that ran a few years back, so the episode was indeed shown at least twice in a few years.
--Robair

Jimmy Owen

The Dating Game...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 03:47:45 AM »
Now that the first question has been answered, I would like to see episodes of TDG in which the couples eventually got married, to see what kind of chemistry existed, etc. I know it would require some research on the part of some schlump, so that and the fact that GSN does not air the show means it could never happen. Maybe they could do that for LC if any of those couples tied the knot.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

The Dating Game...
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 08:44:10 AM »
Now that the first question has been answered, I would like to see episodes of TDG in which the couples eventually got married, to see what kind of chemistry existed, etc.

On the second-season opener of the late '70s version, Jim Lange introduces a couple from "last season" that met on the show and have become engaged.  GSN has never run this episode.

As for "Love Connection", I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the show produced something like 40 marriages, and 22 births.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

The Dating Game...
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 09:01:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 08:44 AM\']

On the second-season opener of the late '70s version, Jim Lange introduces a couple from "last season" that met on the show and have become engaged.  GSN has never run this episode.

As for "Love Connection", I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the show produced something like 40 marriages, and 22 births. [/quote]
 The Jeff MacGregor run of Dating Game had Love Connection-inspired segments in the 1988-89 season where a couple who were fixed up previously on the show told about their trip and if they hit it off...

As for LC, the show's 1000th episode in Fall 1988(I can't recall if USA ran this episode in 1995-97 when they ran LC, but they did run some 1988-89 season episodes of it) had the first baby born as a result of a couple meeting and marrying on the show as the final guest on that episode. The 18 month(IIRC) old kid had an envelope stating the statistics of engagements and married couples up to that point in the show's run which Chuck read off.

calliaume

The Dating Game...
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 12:13:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 03:47 AM\'] Now that the first question has been answered, I would like to see episodes of TDG in which the couples eventually got married, to see what kind of chemistry existed, etc. I know it would require some research on the part of some schlump, so that and the fact that GSN does not air the show means it could never happen. Maybe they could do that for LC if any of those couples tied the knot. [/quote]
 When ABC originally ran Dating Game, bumpers would occasionally show photos from weddings featuring couples who had met on the show.

Since GSN runs the show so infrequently nowadays, I don't know whether they just excised those pieces, or those individual programs never came up in the rotation.

Side note:  GSN did run a lot of episodes featuring Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass bumper music -- wouldn't Alpert still be getting a royalty on that?  (I wonderful if Alpert held onto the publishing rights himself for those songs, or sold them when A&M got sold to -- well, whoever now controls them [UMG?].)

gameshowguy2000

The Dating Game...
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 02:07:27 PM »
Was the "Santa Smooch" episode the last episode of TDG that GSN aired?

uncamark

The Dating Game...
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 04:04:23 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 09:01 AM\'][quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 08:44 AM\']

On the second-season opener of the late '70s version, Jim Lange introduces a couple from "last season" that met on the show and have become engaged.  GSN has never run this episode.

As for "Love Connection", I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the show produced something like 40 marriages, and 22 births. [/quote]
The Jeff MacGregor run of Dating Game had Love Connection-inspired segments in the 1988-89 season where a couple who were fixed up previously on the show told about their trip and if they hit it off...[/quote]
And a regular feature on Cilla Black's "Blind Date," the UK authorized version of "TDG"--in far shots of the set, you always saw the sofa stage left where Auntie Cilla interviewed the couples.

zachhoran

The Dating Game...
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 07:18:12 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 12:13 PM\']
When ABC originally ran Dating Game, bumpers would occasionally show photos from weddings featuring couples who had met on the show.

Since GSN runs the show so infrequently nowadays, I don't know whether they just excised those pieces, or those individual programs never came up in the rotation.

[/quote]
 I've seen some ABC DGs with photos(can't recall if the photos were of couples on dates or of weddings) going into commercial breaks on GSN in the past.