Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is that Don Morrow I've been hearing?  (Read 2099 times)

Johnissoevil

Is that Don Morrow I've been hearing?
« on: January 29, 2004, 12:28:09 AM »
I've been watching TV Land's reruns of Carol Burnett and Friends, and at the beginning, the announcer sounds like game show announcer Don Morrow.  I checked IMDB and other sources, but couldn't find anything.  Would anyone know if that was him?
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

joshg

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 12:32:54 AM »
I've heard Don Morrow doing some radio spots recently, but the announcer on the 'Carol Burnett and Friends' shows is the late, great Ernie "Loooooooooooove Boat" Anderson.

JOSH

P.S. Ernie hasn't been with us for awhile, but he can still voice your radio station(that is, if any of us own one...); here's the link:

http://www.ernieanderson.com/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 12:35:43 AM by matchgame »
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Johnissoevil

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 02:08:06 AM »
I've heard Don Morrow doing some radio spots recently, but the announcer on the 'Carol Burnett and Friends' shows is the late, great Ernie "Loooooooooooove Boat" Anderson.

Wow, didn't even think of Ernie.  Almost forgot about him!

P.S. Ernie hasn't been with us for awhile, but he can still voice your radio station(that is, if any of us own one...); here's the link:

I wonder how they're pulling that one off.  They thought about doing that with Jack Barry's voice when they made the TJW CD-I game a few years ago, but I guess the technology wasn't available back then.

ObGameShows:  And when asking the original question, why didn't I stop and think of Barry BTB?
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 10:17:44 AM »
ObGameShows: And when asking the original question, why didn't I stop and think of Barry BTB?

Ernie did announce "Break the Bank", but not for its whole run.  Johnny Jacobs announced at least the first few weeks of the ABC version, and Ernie was announcing on the syndicated version.  I'm not sure when Ernie took over for Johnny, or whether Ernie announced any of the shows on ABC.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 10:43:30 AM »
I have an episode from late in the run with Ernie announcing, so he did announce some on ABC.

inturnaround

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 10:46:33 AM »
Ernie was well-known in Cleveland, OH as Ghoulardi. He would host old horror movies and was very popular. In fact, Drew Carey (who is from Cleveland) used to wear a Ghoulardi shirt on his show.

Ernie's son is the director PT Anderson ("Boogie Nights", "Magnolia").
Joe Coughlin     
Human

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 03:27:19 PM »
Ernie's son is the director PT Anderson ("Boogie Nights", "Magnolia").

That explains the dedication to Ernie (and co-star Bob Ridgeley) during the end credits of Boogie Nights.

Chuck Donegan (The Observant "Chuckie Baby")

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 04:01:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 02:08 AM\'][

I wonder how they're pulling that one off.  They thought about doing that with Jack Barry's voice when they made the TJW CD-I game a few years ago, but I guess the technology wasn't available back then.[/quote]
As the site states, they have possession of various tapes Ernie did for radio stations and have pulled the lines off of the tapes.  There are also enough "Z100s" outside of New York City or wherever that they can use station identifiers with Ernie's voice and no one would know the difference.

In Chicago, until WMAQ went to WSCR "The Score," they continued to use Ernie's liners for the station well after his death--"If it's happening now, you're hearing it now--WMAQ All-News 67--all-news, all-day, every day!"  Always great to hear his voice.