Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS wants to bring back "Name That Tune"  (Read 5418 times)

jage

Re: CBS wants to bring back "Name That Tune"
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 05:59:04 PM »
This could be cool. I don't buy the notion that NTT couldn't be done today with a live band. I've heard many cover bands that are diverse and can play just about anything. If they want to modernize or add some harmless twists, how about a celebrity performer for the week or a segment.

Neumms

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »
If you don't have Melody Roulette and Bid-A-Note, you don't have Name That Tune. Period.

The piece mentions "hundreds of proven games." Anybody remember more than four: those two, the Golden Medley and the Money Trees?

I guess it's five if you count the original "running some length of stage to grab at a bell." Which makes me wonder if--especially it being the network of Candy Crush--they'll do this but with Wipeout-style obstacles in the way.

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
Tune Topics from the Lange version.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »

To me, that was proven insanely boring. I suppose there's the one where Kathie Lee sang and the contestants wrote down their answers. iPads would make that a little smoother to watch.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »
With due respect, Tune Topics was dreadful, considering it rendered that entire third of the set as chrome. "Here's five phrases, only one of which actually means anything even though we're gonna read them all off and let people hoot and holler at the ones that sound a little salacious. Let's find out what the real one is! Now that we're done with that, here's a basic three-out-of-five."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 10:09:11 PM »
That was more or less my reaction as a kid. About a year ago I found an early 1984 episode online where they don't even do the rigamarole where the category titles dance, it was just "Here's the Tune Topic for today!". Which was better insofar as it got to the point, but it was still a buzzer race without the wheel.

The point of the different rounds is to break up the content. They could alternate Melody Roulette with the Money Volcano for all I care, but that and Bid-a-Note are iconic enough that it would be silly to paste over them.
Travis L. Eberle