Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF S35 changes  (Read 8226 times)

Kevin Prather

Re: WOF S35 changes
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 01:27:38 AM »
It would look so cool if they used an outer glow effect on the Eggcrate font, so it would look something like this:

That's the problem I have with simulating eggcrate and vane displays on computer screens. They often look very fake.

Unrealtor

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 10:44:41 PM »
It would look so cool if they used an outer glow effect on the Eggcrate font, so it would look something like this:

That's the problem I have with simulating eggcrate and vane displays on computer screens. They often look very fake.

The pedant in me would say that it's because they don't attempt to actually simulate the displays. They just use an eggcrate-like/vane-like font when rendering text and those, particularly the vane-like fonts, don't actually match the way an actual display of that type would look. (That said, The Price Is Right has done a darn good job with the one-bid displays and the Any Number board of recreating the shapes and positioning of the old displays.)

At a minimum, you'd think someone would have attempted a simulated eggcrate display that does a little bit more to simulate the haloing effects and color temperature of an incandescent bulb than anything I've seen. You only really need to draw one bulb and repeat it as necessary.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

brianhenke

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 07:10:58 PM »
  I'm watching tonight's ep, and Free Play and the normal displays (no eggcrates) are there.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 09:35:19 PM »
  I'm watching tonight's ep, and Free Play and the normal displays (no eggcrates) are there.

Brian

Did you not read the rest of the thread?

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
Did you not read the rest of the thread?

Where'd you get the idea that he cares what anyone else says?

Sodboy13

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 11:08:57 PM »
At a minimum, you'd think someone would have attempted a simulated eggcrate display that does a little bit more to simulate the haloing effects and color temperature of an incandescent bulb than anything I've seen. You only really need to draw one bulb and repeat it as necessary.

Heck, I am a person of negligible artistic ability, and I can do that in Powerpoint.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 11:36:39 PM »
As far as I could tell the winner did not choose her category for the bonus puzzle.

/category is What Are You Doing?
//Not winning the bonus money, apparently.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 11:47:03 PM »
As far as I could tell the winner did not choose her category for the bonus puzzle.

/category is What Are You Doing?
//Not winning the bonus money, apparently.

Am I missing a joke? She was in fact presented with three options before the break and selected that one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 12:01:38 AM »
Am I missing a joke? She was in fact presented with three options before the break and selected that one.
She was? Whoops. I shall go back and rewatch then.

/that's how you own up to a mistake, Brian.
//that's odd; why not have it just after she spins the wheel?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 01:47:28 AM »

My guess is because they don't want to be rushed and possibly load the wrong puzzle into the board on the fly. This way they only need one of two. (We did establish they have a "harder" puzzle ready if they hit the $100K on the wheel, did we not?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 08:22:48 AM »

My guess is because they don't want to be rushed and possibly load the wrong puzzle into the board on the fly.

It also allows the choice to feel more important and dramatic if the audience has time to sit and think about it. I imagine it's a decent armchair quarterbacking moment.
This signature is currently under construction.

chrisholland03

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 08:30:10 AM »
Eagerly awaiting next season's new category "Why?"

nowhammies10

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 09:07:24 AM »
Eagerly awaiting next season's new category "Why?"

_ E _ _ _ S E / _ / S _ _ _ / S _

/inb4 they actually use this as a puzzle on the show
//they did on the May 9, 2013 show, damn it

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
(We did establish they have a "harder" puzzle ready if they hit the $100K on the wheel, did we not?)

Not sure if you're joking, but in case you're not: No, that was never established. In fact, I would be shocked if that was true.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »
(We did establish they have a "harder" puzzle ready if they hit the $100K on the wheel, did we not?)
Not sure if you're joking, but in case you're not: No, that was never established. In fact, I would be shocked if that was true.

Yeah, that caught me by surprise as well.  I think the only way that would be allowed is if they specifically told the contestants as part of the rules that the million-dollar bonus puzzle was chosen from a different, harder set.  And if they had been telling contestants that for a few years, we WOULD have heard about it by now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.