The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

Bland Ambition

(1/6) > >>

uncamark:
This Variety article gives some insight as to why certain cable channels aimed at niche audiences have been forced to not be so niche, including a certain noted game show channel.

Relevant excerpts:

Newly christened GSN (formerly Game Show Network) has rejigged primetime to boost broadcast-style reality: "Fake-a-Date" toplines the original "Joe Millionaire," Evan Marriott, while "Kenny vs. Spenny" is a competition show similar to MTV's "Jackass."

"The biggest drive for us is to have the biggest business potential possible. Having the assets of our parent companies (Liberty Media and Sony) allows us be much bigger than gameshows," GSN prexy-CEO Rich Cronin says.

---------------

GSN's Cronin argues that expanding the brand has historically proven successful.

"Doing just gameshows was working well for us, but if musicvideos were working well for MTV more than a decade ago, why did they move away from that one genre? They're now the channel of music and youth culture. I think the possibilities are so much bigger to develop a breakthrough hit if you can go to different genres."

Cronin, former head of marketing for Nickelodeon when the cabler was in its infant years, points out that Nick's evolution from daytime preschool programming to kids-of-all-ages station was for the better.

"There were some people that criticized it at the time. 'Oh no, here is this commercial-free preschool network and now they're going to ruin it.' Well, look how great the network is doing now," he says.

A niche cabler starts feeling the mainstream itch when it hits 50 million homes.

So what about the purists --- those who'd prefer not to deviate from a channel's original mission?

Those inclined to serve the core audience, whatever the limited economics, are shown the exit.

Bob Boden, former programming head for then-Game Show Network, was phased out right along with the old name. (Cronin admits that a minority who still "pitch the niche" still work within the GSN ranks.)

---------------------

Let's all play--PITCH THE NICHE!  (Sorry.)

PeterMarshallFan:

--- Quote ---GSN's Cronin argues that expanding the brand has historically proven successful.

--- End quote ---

GSN Video Games. Naturally Stoned. And if you want to reach back farther, Love Buffet, Who Dares Wins, and to an extent DJ Games. 25 points to the first person who tells me what all those shows had in common when they ran on GSN.

--- Quote ---"Doing just gameshows was working well for us, but if musicvideos were working well for MTV more than a decade ago, why did they move away from that one genre
--- End quote ---

Because advertisers decided that they'd rather do business with 18 year olds instead. I can't remember who brought up the point that the whole 18-49 demographics thing is a farce that'll wear off, but that seemed pretty accurate to me.

--- Quote ---"There were some people that criticized it at the time. 'Oh no, here is this commercial-free preschool network and now they're going to ruin it.' Well, look how great the network is doing now," he says.
--- End quote ---

The last time I landed on it while randomly flipping channels, Nickelodeon came off as the Spongebob Squarepants network. If that's his idea of doing great, I shudder to think what he considers "great" for GSN (the return of Burt Luddin?)

--- Quote ---Those inclined to serve the core audience, whatever the limited economics, are shown the exit.

Bob Boden, former programming head for then-Game Show Network, was phased out right along with the old name. (Cronin admits that a minority who still "pitch the niche" still work within the GSN ranks.)

--- End quote ---

Sad, but true--I've been a victim of having different views than the big boss before. I bet those "Pitch the niche" guys that are left won't be there too long.

Obviously, I wish Boden the best. He should've had a crack at being the top of the totem pole.

GS Warehouse:
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 03:36 PM\'] GSN Video Games. Naturally Stoned. And if you want to reach back farther, Love Buffet, Who Dares Wins, and to an extent DJ Games. 25 points to the first person who tells me what all those shows had in common when they ran on GSN. [/quote]
 Um...they all sucked?

PeterMarshallFan:
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 06:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 03:36 PM\'] GSN Video Games. Naturally Stoned. And if you want to reach back farther, Love Buffet, Who Dares Wins, and to an extent DJ Games. 25 points to the first person who tells me what all those shows had in common when they ran on GSN. [/quote]
Um...they all sucked? [/quote]
 That, and the fact they all flopped.

GS Warehouse:
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 05:04 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 06:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 03:36 PM\'] GSN Video Games. Naturally Stoned. And if you want to reach back farther, Love Buffet, Who Dares Wins, and to an extent DJ Games. 25 points to the first person who tells me what all those shows had in common when they ran on GSN. [/quote]
Um...they all sucked? [/quote]
That, and the fact they all flopped. [/quote]
 Close enough.  When do I get my points? :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version