Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A network show, an accompanying syndicated show, and a conundrum. Sorta.  (Read 8455 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Again, no hard numbers, but I presume that Merv made a bundle with the one-two syndication punch for about ten years. 
Travis L. Eberle

Chief-O

IIRC, when Barry/Enright had auditions for TJW and TTD, contestants were auditioning for both shows -- they couldn't choose which show they wanted to do.

Those who were tops in testing were invited to compete on TJW, while those "one level down" were invited to play TTD.

JD

Kind of has me wondering what kinds of contestants they sent off to "Bullseye" or "Play the Percentages"....

/almost added "Hot Potato", but remembered that it had teams with common traits
.....and it goes like this!!!

BrandonFG

Nick, I don't have numbers, but consider it this way: the market leans in the direction of whichever side is smaller.  If there are more sellers, it's going to be a buyer's market. If there are more buyers, it's going to be a seller's market.

There are a LOT more buyers in syndication.
I don't remember if it was from Broadcasting or the Google News Archive, and I can't remember whether it was posted here, but I do remember stumbling across an article about the business of game show producing, and how syndication is more lucrative. The article is from the late-70s or early-80s, but if I can find it (or if someone else knows what I'm talking about), I'll post it.

I think this is it. It's a pretty lengthy article, so I understand if you feel TL; DR.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
IIRC, when Barry/Enright had auditions for TJW and TTD, contestants were auditioning for both shows -- they couldn't choose which show they wanted to do.

Those who were tops in testing were invited to compete on TJW, while those "one level down" were invited to play TTD.

JD

Kind of has me wondering what kinds of contestants they sent off to "Bullseye" or "Play the Percentages"....

Funny, I just thought of the one lady who was on both Bullseye and TTD, Wemkea whatsherface that also ended up on Press Your Luck. Can't imagine there were too many folks who got to be on two different B&E shows of the era, especially considering the info shown here.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

Match Game PM seemed to me to have more youthful and attractive female contestants.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

jimlangefan

JD

Funny, I just thought of the one lady who was on both Bullseye and TTD, Wemkea whatsherface that also ended up on Press Your Luck. Can't imagine there were too many folks who got to be on two different B&E shows of the era, especially considering the info shown here.

Scott Wyant was on TTD in 1978 and on the premiere episode of Bullseye in 1980.  I believe shortly after that, he started working for B&E.
TV's Big Dealer

calliaume

So Thom McKee was considered to be "one level down."  Interesting.
That's what I thought of.  Perhaps B&E didn't want a super-smart, possibly dull contestant running for weeks at a time on TTD - so they were sent to Joker, which had much more luck involved.  And perhaps that changed after McKee's run brought in ratings.

It would help if we had someone who was there to explain it.  Has anyone asked, say, Mark Maxwell-Smith or Ronnie Greenberg?

Adam Nedeff

You've got this backwards. "Tic Tac Dough" was the top-level show, "Joker" was the one level down.

colonial

You've got this backwards. "Tic Tac Dough" was the top-level show, "Joker" was the one level down.

If that's the case, I apologize for the mixup.

JD

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
I think her surname was Sherman.

I don't recall a whole helluva lot, and her appearances were about three years apart anyway.
/as it happens, Dave Wagner was on in 1978 and again in the mid-80s, also a long period in between. So that makes three.

That does bring up something--if you've already been on the show you ostensibly can pass the test again but are they going to take Joker's Wild contestants and "bump them up" to Tic Tac Dough or the other way around? It's not like testing for Wheel of Fortune and being thrown to the wolves on Jeopardy. And Bullseye you could win more than on Joker's Wild and roughly equivalent to Tic Tac. I don't recall anyone who was so egregious where I said aloud "how did this assclown make it through the tryout gauntlet?"
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

I think her surname was Sherman.

I don't recall a whole helluva lot, and her appearances were about three years apart anyway.
/as it happens, Dave Wagner was on in 1978 and again in the mid-80s, also a long period in between. So that makes three.

I don't know if either of the aforementioned ladies above was the one I remember, but there was one lady contestant who was an opera singer that appeared on 2 of the B&E shows, one being Bullseye for sure.

SuperSweeper

Jan Kraepelien (Erik's brother) was on TTD in 1983 and then on TJW in 1986. I know Erik was in the audience for the TTD episodes. While Jan wasn't as successful as Erik, he did win several games on both shows.

SuperSweeper

I don't know if either of the aforementioned ladies above was the one I remember, but there was one lady contestant who was an opera singer that appeared on 2 of the B&E shows, one being Bullseye for sure.

I think that was Royanne Richert...she was on the Bullseye premiere and then did TTD and lost to Kit Salisbury.

Neumms

Perhaps B&E didn't want a super-smart, possibly dull contestant running for weeks at a time on TTD - so they were sent to Joker, which had much more luck involved.  And perhaps that changed after McKee's run brought in ratings.

I recall a couple of $100,000 runs before Thom came along, though, and they certainly liked long runs on Twenty-One. It's not hard to imagine them putting some dim contestants up against McKee to pad the streak.