Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC Millionaire Coming Back  (Read 40548 times)

Peter Sarrett

ABC Millionaire Coming Back
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2004, 09:25:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 27 2004, 08:35 PM\']
I think we see each other's basic points, but my perception is a bit different than yours, so my broken record skips in a different place.  
 [/quote]
 Fair enough.

Part of my response is based on my own performance in the hotseat, where I blew a lifeline on a bonehead question at $300 but went on to do very well.  I didn't use the lifeline because I was stupid, or even because I didn't know the answer.  I regretted it the instant the words left my mouth.  I used it because I was flustered.  

Which leads me to a new thought.  Perhaps it's not the missing phone game that's at fault here, but the missing ring of fire.

Contestants on the syndicated show are sequestered in the Green Room until they're on deck to go on air, and then they're below the stage where they can't really see the action.  From the Green Room you're watching a monitor, but that's not the same as being on set in the ring of fire.  I had no idea until I was in the hotseat of how nerve-wracking those first 5 questions would be because of the complete silence in the studio.  I expected the jaunty music you hear on TV, and instead you could hear a pin drop.  And it flustered me.  Had I been sitting in the ring of fire during another contestant's run, I'd have been much more prepared for what was to come.  I'd have been a lot more comfortable in the hotseat and perhaps had the poise to save the lifeline (which ultimately didn't matter in my case, but that's another story).

It's possible that part of the issue isn't so much the quality of the contestants as it is the acclimation process.  Going to the hotseat from the Green Room is a much bigger jump than it was from the ring of fire.

<shrug>

Ian Wallis

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2004, 09:14:34 AM »
I had no idea until I was in the hotseat of how nerve-wracking those first 5 questions would be because of the complete silence in the studio. I expected the jaunty music you hear on TV, and instead you could hear a pin drop. And it flustered me.

I think that when the show began, that music was heard in the studio.   Is there no music heard at all, or is it just for the first 5 questions?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tomobrien

« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2004, 09:43:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' date=\'Jan 27 2004, 09:25 PM\'] Going to the hotseat from the Green Room is a much bigger jump than it was from the ring of fire.

[/quote]
I'm not sure I'd agree with that...they're both nerve-wracking but in different ways.  Sitting in the ring -- wondering if you were going to have a chance to do another FF, watching other contestants sweat for 20 minutes over an answer, watching technical problems get retaped, that sort of thing -- doesn't exactly engender a sense of calm and well-being.

J.R.

« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2004, 09:44:36 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jan 26 2004, 01:08 PM\'] . Sure, some shows can't be played for $10 million (Password, Match Game, Body Language) [/quote]
 Super Match Game 03 !

Host: "You've won $500 and we multiply it by 10,000 or $5,000,000 but you could double that stake on a lucky spin on the Star Wheel !"

(Contestant spins and lands on Patty Deutch)

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2004, 12:08:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 07:14 AM\'] I think that when the show began, that music was heard in the studio.   Is there no music heard at all, or is it just for the first 5 questions? [/quote]
That would surprise me a great deal. Anyone who did the Regis show who posts here, feel free to correct me, but pumping that kind of audio out to a small studio like that (when there is really no necessary reason to - ambiance is for people watching at home, not the 200 or so people present at the show) is asking for all kinds of unpleasant feedback issues.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 12:10:20 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2004, 12:24:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 12:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 07:14 AM\'] I think that when the show began, that music was heard in the studio.   Is there no music heard at all, or is it just for the first 5 questions? [/quote]
That would surprise me a great deal. Anyone who did the Regis show who posts here, feel free to correct me, but pumping that kind of audio out to a small studio like that (when there is really no necessary reason to - ambiance is for people watching at home, not the 200 or so people present at the show) is asking for all kinds of unpleasant feedback issues. [/quote]
 I didn't have anything to do with the Regis show, but the way I've read it, the music is heard for the $2000+ questions, but not for the first five because they often edited out the "final answer" bit for those first five (it would have caused all kinds of uncomfortable skips in music).

goongas

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2004, 01:18:21 PM »
TommyCharles is correct, as I have attended numerous tapings.

Also, the audio in the studio sometimes isn't good, to prevent feedback issues.

uncamark

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2004, 02:44:42 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 12:24 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 12:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 07:14 AM\'] I think that when the show began, that music was heard in the studio.   Is there no music heard at all, or is it just for the first 5 questions? [/quote]
That would surprise me a great deal. Anyone who did the Regis show who posts here, feel free to correct me, but pumping that kind of audio out to a small studio like that (when there is really no necessary reason to - ambiance is for people watching at home, not the 200 or so people present at the show) is asking for all kinds of unpleasant feedback issues. [/quote]
I didn't have anything to do with the Regis show, but the way I've read it, the music is heard for the $2000+ questions, but not for the first five because they often edited out the "final answer" bit for those first five (it would have caused all kinds of uncomfortable skips in music).[/quote]
The first five questions cue is the most hummable of all of the background cues and the melody losses would be noticed if edited.

And once you get beyond the first five, the music's *supposed* to be distracting and stress-inducing to an extent (boom boom, boom boom...)--it's just that only the celebs ever complain about it while in the Hot Seat.

ChuckNet

« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2004, 05:05:59 PM »
And have some hot babe begin a striptease for each correct answer. Meaning that if someone is able to make it through all fifteen questions.........................

Funny you should mention that...when Israeli WWtBaM crowned its first grand-prize winner 3 1/2 yrs ago, host Yoram Arbel made good on his promise to strip if that ever happened...wonder why Regis never tried that. :-D

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

starcade

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2004, 05:08:09 PM »
Maybe because Regis would have un-saved ABC the moment that happened...

(And that clinches it -- you HAVE been watching "Who Wants to be an Erotic Billionaire?" much too much...)

Don Howard

« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2004, 05:31:03 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 02:44 PM\'] And once you get beyond the first five, the music's *supposed* to be distracting and stress-inducing to an extent (boom boom, boom boom...)--it's just that only the celebs ever complain about it while in the Hot Seat. [/quote]
 Yet another reason why I loathe those "special" celebrity editions of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and other shows. The stars think it's funny to mock the host, the game, the rules and the music. If they don't like it, let 'em go sell pencils on the street like the bums they are.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2004, 05:35:59 PM »
And only one celebrity contestant mocked Regis, and even dressed like him: DANA CARVEY!

When I saw the opening of Day 1 of Celebrity I, I just laughed!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 05:36:42 PM by gameshowguy2000 »

starcade

« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2004, 05:36:08 PM »
If I could ever get past the fact that I was playing for more money than I would know what to do with, the music actually might do more to relax me than anything.  Needless to say, they'd have a lot of editing to do if I could get that far.

Inhale...  *dumm dumm*  ... exhale.

BrandonFG

« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2004, 05:54:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 28 2004, 05:31 PM\'] Yet another reason why I loathe those "special" celebrity editions of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and other shows. The stars think it's funny to mock the host, the game, the rules and the music. If they don't like it, let 'em go sell pencils on the street like the bums they are. [/quote]
The thing I can't stand about Celebrity Edition is the help that the others can give up to the $32,000 question. Why not just start the game at the third tier? They want to be taken seriously, and not as idiots, yet they get coaching through the first 10 questions...

In regards to Chuck's comment re: Israeli's Millionaire host, one ABC contestant noted that Max Tarrant kisses the female contestants should they win, and asked if Regis would do the same if she won. IIRC she won $32,000 (missed a Hitchcock question), and I think she still got a kiss from Reege. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2004, 07:56:49 PM »
My favorite Celeb versions were Celebrity I, III and IV, the 2 Olympic editions, the Rock Star edition, and the Top of The Charts edition.

I hated Celebrity II because poor Norm MacDonald COULD'VE WON THE MILLION! He was about to say the correct answer and lock it in, and then bows out at the last possible second! Oh, the agony!

Heck, I don't like it when anyone walks away from the Million Dollar question, only to realize they were RIGHT to begin with (after they post-walking guess)!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 07:57:55 PM by gameshowguy2000 »