Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Plus (question about the puzzle board)  (Read 2196 times)

Bob Zager

Password Plus (question about the puzzle board)
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:29:11 PM »
In recent time, Buzzr has been airing PP from around the time the Alphabettics board moved to the side wall.

It got me wondering why in the summer of 1980, the clues/solutions to "Password Puzzle"s were no longer projected onto a screen, and just printed on large poster size cardboard.  Anyone know?

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Re: Password Plus (question about the puzzle board)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »
To my eyes, the early puzzles appeared not to be rear-projected, but rather printed on a piece of translucent plastic that was backlit. If I'm right, then I assume the answer is that printing the puzzles on cardboard was less expensive.

Chief-O

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »
It got me wondering why in the summer of 1980, the clues/solutions to "Password Puzzle"s were no longer projected onto a screen, and just printed on large poster size cardboard.  Anyone know?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the board itself (specifically, the sliding panel and the surround) redesigned around the time that they dropped the backlit board?

/Mr. C, to the red courtesy phone

(Edit: I'm an idiot. They didn't change the surround/panel.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:04:54 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

Otm Shank

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 09:35:56 PM »
I, too, think it was a backlit translucent insert for the puzzles as well. The solution area had the lighter background, and there seemed to be a brighter center and darker margins. However, the solution text didn't fade at the margins, which would be the case if it was projected.

As for replacing it, the solution area didn't really pop, in my opinion. Nowadays, the duratrans technology is much more advanced, but it just has a dull look in 1979. You had black text on an uneven background. Not only was an art card cheaper, but it provided more consistency in the presentation.

chrisholland03

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »
I asked the same question many, many moons ago - from memory the answer was a heat/melting issue.  I think I also asked about the various changes to the reveal dropdown and numbering, but can't remember the answer to that.  I'm sure Chris C can confirm/elaborate further.