Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour Question  (Read 13114 times)

Bob Zager

Re: Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour Question
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »
I'd seen at least one episode with George Gobel, and another episode w/Bill Cullen, each not participating in the walk-in segment; however, one other celebrity didn't participate in the walk-in portion--David L. Lander (Squiggy, from Laverne & Shirley).  Years after his appearance, he mentioned in an interview that he was experiencing an odd feeling (like dizziness), and thus just took his place on the set.  Shortly afterwards, he went to see a doctor, and was diagnosed to have Multiple Sclerosis. 

Eric Paddon

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »
Vincent Price I believe was on one week.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 02:20:55 PM »
Vincent Price I believe was on one week.

Not seeing him in either year in this episode guide (1983 or 1984).

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SuperSweeper

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 08:37:58 PM »
The celebrity mix was quite odd...it's interesting to see folks who seemingly made their only game show appearance on this, of all shows (Hi, Helen Reddy!) as well the unexpected semi-regulars (Wow, Nedra Volz did eight weeks?).

There were also a lot of familiar faces that popped up - it seemed like just about everyone who did Pyramid or Super Password in the mid-'80s made at least one appearance.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 02:30:38 AM »
You're right he's not in those guides.     I'm prepared to acknowledge my memory is wrong (it's based on my remembering him playing a MG round and I know it wasn't syndie MG)

The Pyramids

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 07:58:30 AM »
Wasn't Arlene Francis's last game show appearance this show? I think both she and Chuck Woolery were in the 'HS' half once.

BillCullen1

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 09:26:19 AM »
There is a You Tube ep on Arlene on this extravaganza. AFAIK, this was her last game show appearance.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 11:44:37 AM »
There is a You Tube ep on Arlene on this extravaganza. AFAIK, this was her last game show appearance.

In that one episode she didn't get picked at all, was the subject of a question, and had the 30 multiplier in Super Match.

calliaume

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »
She was still doing her radio show in New York at that point, so going to California without taking a chunk of time off was probably a challenge.

I hate to say it, but by that point it's likely one of the celebrity bookers on the show was being kind.  WML had been off the air for over eight years, and she probably didn't have very much recognition outside of New York.

tvwxman

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 06:21:46 PM »
I hate to say it, but by that point it's likely one of the celebrity bookers on the show was being kind.  WML had been off the air for over eight years, and she probably didn't have very much recognition outside of New York.
Probably correct. I was the one who taped that episode off-air (35 years ago!!!!) , and it was at the end of the run. It seemed like , at that point, they would take anyone they could get their hands on. NBC pushed soap opera stars, and occasionally they'd get a MG veteran, but most were....just an odd mix.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

The Pyramids

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
She was still doing her radio show in New York at that point, so going to California without taking a chunk of time off was probably a challenge.

Maybe Gene was happy to see her again and vice versa.

whewfan

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »
Another consideration is that HS is a timed game. It always has been. Jon Bauman had some issues keeping the game moving, so to some viewers, HS might be a bit too slow. Also, the question writing and zingers would've been better than giving everyone multiple choice with no chance for a zinger reply. Gallagher had the best zinger for a question that went something like "Gallagher... you're a handsome male horse, and you want to mate with a gorgeous female cow... if you tried really hard, could you make a baby? Or is that physically impossible?" Gallagher: Well, no, it's not physically impossible, it's just REALLY slow at the races."

I think in a typical single episode, they can fit in maybe 12-13 questions... on the original, Peter and the gang tried for TWICE that many. (At least, on the syndicated version... it wasn't as important for the daytime version since the game straddled.)

Neumms

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »
Another consideration is that HS is a timed game. It always has been... it wasn't as important for the daytime version since the game straddled.

Match Game was funnier when it went off the rails, Hollywood Squares the opposite. Trouble is, without snappy one-liners, the only way these Squares were funny is for the stars to jump on each other.

Does anyone know if Goodson proposed "The Match Game Hour" sans Squares, presumably with some new element to break things up?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
Why would he, if he loathed it so?
Travis L. Eberle

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 04:59:11 PM »
Another consideration is that HS is a timed game. It always has been... it wasn't as important for the daytime version since the game straddled.

Match Game was funnier when it went off the rails, Hollywood Squares the opposite. Trouble is, without snappy one-liners, the only way these Squares were funny is for the stars to jump on each other.

Does anyone know if Goodson proposed "The Match Game Hour" sans Squares, presumably with some new element to break things up?

BUY MY BOOK!

Seriously though...in the earliest, earliest stage of development, it was going to be "The Match Game Hour," and then NBC had other ideas.