Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Annoying Game Show Gimmicks  (Read 27501 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Annoying Game Show Gimmicks
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
* Steve's line is a declaration of quality for an episode that's barely started (and/or a game that hasn't started yet).

Yeah, they should record the open after the fact, when they know, and insert it in post.

"Hi, I'm Steve Harvey, and do we have a real turd sandwich of a show for you today."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
* Jack's line is a quick catch-up for viewers and/or audience members who may not have seen the previous show.
At least it's a cordial welcome to the program.

All told, a great observation.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
Again not seeing one iota of difference between the two examples or the citation of Jack Barry's opening spiel that preceded this response.
The way I see them is like this:
* Bob's line is a standard game show greeting.
* Jack's line is a quick catch-up for viewers and/or audience members who may not have seen the previous show.
* Steve's line is a declaration of quality for an episode that's barely started (and/or a game that hasn't started yet).
Plus (and this is the part that's been glossed over), there is no reason for him to need to say his name again. The announcer just said it 15 seconds prior. I could see there being a need in the first season to increase recognition around the name, but you can't escape Steve Harvey on television now. It's a canned line that needs to be 86'd yesterday.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2017, 07:45:31 PM »
"Hi, I'm Steve Harvey, and do we have a real turd sandwich of a show for you today."

"We have a terrible show for you today... Not!"

Nick

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »
Very similar to what they do on TPIR, having the audience "applaud" after the prize descriptions are done. Every. Single. Time.

Oh, they don't even wait until they're done.  If they're moving between prize plugs in Most Expensive, the audience is cued to chime in.

Unnecessary as it is, it was amusing when I was an audience member to watch Scott Robinson, standing at the edge of the stage, throw his hands up and shout "yay!" each time we were supposed to show some oomph.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Chief-O

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2017, 08:37:37 PM »
Plus (and this is the part that's been glossed over), there is no reason for him to need to say his name again. The announcer just said it 15 seconds prior.

I believe I've noticed this with "Big Fan", except it was a lot less than 15 seconds prior. :P
.....and it goes like this!!!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »
Pat Sajak has always had a drier wit than other hosts out there, but his dryness just seems...I don't know...tired. It may just be me, but it seems like he's been going through the motions for a while now.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2017, 08:14:47 PM »
Pat Sajak has always had a drier wit than other hosts out there, but his dryness just seems...I don't know...tired. It may just be me, but it seems like he's been going through the motions for a while now.
I have been really enjoying Wheel of Fortune of late, since I tell the Tivo to grab the last ten minutes before Jeopardy. So I usually get the $3,000 Toss-up, round four/final spin and the bonus puzzle.
Travis L. Eberle

Casey

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2017, 09:41:20 AM »
I've actually found him to be more enjoyable this season, but it definitely depends on the contestants.  If he gets some more lively contestants, he seems to have a much more enjoyable time.

I felt the same way about Alex Trebek last year, but this season, he, too, has been more engaging and amusing.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2017, 12:16:20 AM »
I've been watching a lot of Les Dennis Family Fortunes on YouTube lately, and I've noticed that before each of the first three rounds, Les always says "Let's play Family Fortunes!" You'd think that for the second and third round he'd say something like, "Let's play" or "Let's go to the next round" just to switch it up.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2017, 12:22:22 AM »
I've noticed that before each of the first three rounds, Les always says "Let's play Family Fortunes!" You'd think that for the second and third round he'd say something like, "Let's play" or "Let's go to the next round" just to switch it up.

That's very much a British thing. Very repetitive, reliable presentation from show to show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2017, 12:27:45 AM »
Item fails the "gimmicks" hurdle.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
That's very much a British thing. Very repetitive, reliable presentation from show to show.

I was thinking of this, too, because we Yanks picked it up. Regis did it. Anne Robinson did it, albeit without the applause. Alec does it now on Match Game.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2017, 04:09:46 AM »
Ready, set.  Off ya go!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2017, 11:07:22 AM »
Ready, set.  Off ya go!
This was another one that got old quick, IMO. I know it's not much different than when Dick Clark would say "Ready/Here is your first subject..........Go!", but for Craig it felt more like a crutch.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!