Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Annoying Game Show Gimmicks  (Read 27496 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Annoying Game Show Gimmicks
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »
I get what you mean, but he's not going to throw shade on the show that employs him.

No, but he's supposed to be a comedian.  He could say something that's supposed to be funny.  He doesn't have to just read the prompter.

Bob Barker said "welcome to the Price Is Right" or "I welcome you to the Price Is Right" for how many years?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Nick

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »
Bob Barker said "welcome to the Price Is Right" or "I welcome you to the Price Is Right" for how many years?

Thirty-five, but he didn't say, "I'm your host Bob Barker, and we've got a good show for you today," everyday.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »
Not really a gimmick, but

"Welcome to Family Feud everybody...I'm your man Steve Harvey and we've got a good one for you today..."

He says that at the beginning of every show.  I guess he must think they're all good.

A similar sentiment is expressed at the end of the Saturday Night Live monologue every week (not to mention certain late night talk show monologues), so I've gotten used to that.

However, what irks me is that this season on Feud, he now pauses after "I'm your man Steve Harvey" so the audience will give him an additional round of applause. Sometimes he leads the applause himself.

BrandonFG

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »

"Welcome to Family Feud everybody...I'm your man Steve Harvey and we've got a good one for you today..."

He says that at the beginning of every show.  I guess he must think they're all good.

A similar sentiment is expressed at the end of the Saturday Night Live monologue every week (not to mention certain late night talk show monologues), so I've gotten used to that.

However, what irks me is that this season on Feud, he now pauses after "I'm your man Steve Harvey" so the audience will give him an additional round of applause. Sometimes he leads the applause himself.
I dunno if they do it anymore, but when the second player comes out for Fast Money, Steve will say "Your partner did pretty well...(s)he got you 142 points...", and the audience will cheer................like they didn't just see the partner score 142 points two minutes ago! I'm beginning to think the audience coordinators think silence would make the show seem boring.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Nick

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2017, 06:37:01 PM »
I dunno if they do it anymore, but when the second player comes out for Fast Money, Steve will say "Your partner did pretty well...(s)he got you 142 points...", and the audience will cheer................like they didn't just see the partner score 142 points two minutes ago! I'm beginning to think the audience coordinators think silence would make the show seem boring.

I think somebody around here timed it out once that the Family Feud audience responds with cheers, applause or both about every fifteen seconds, or some small amount of time like that.

It's been symptomatic in the industry for quite some time now if your game is not "serious business."  At the Wheel tapings I attended a few years ago, I tried to keep up with all the points where you'd hear the audience applause.  Before the end of six shows, my wrists hurt.

/Strangely enough, one place where they don't want you to applaud is when the bonus wheel is spinning.  The applause you hear then watching the show is a hundred-percent canned.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

PYLdude

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »

Thirty-five, but he didn't say, "I'm your host Bob Barker, and we've got a good show for you today," everyday.

It's the same damn thing.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Nick

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »

No, it's not.  It's one thing to send a greeting.  It's another to fall on a crutch of feigned enthusiasm every show.  Harvey does that.  Barker didn't.

CJBojangles

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »
"... a chance to win <dollar amount>!!." (Cheers and applause for dollar amount).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2017, 08:30:49 PM »
He could say something that's supposed to be funny.

This pretty much sums up Steve Harvey for me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »

Just like at the beginning of a good chunk of The Jokers Wild episodes when Jack Barry said, "On our last program we crowned a brand new champion".  It made it sound like there was some formal ceremony off-camera where the new champion was given a Queen For a Day treatment for beating the current king of the hill (robe, scepter, crown,...).

PYLdude

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2017, 09:32:37 PM »

No, it's not.  It's one thing to send a greeting.  It's another to fall on a crutch of feigned enthusiasm every show.

Again not seeing one iota of difference between the two examples or the citation of Jack Barry's opening spiel that preceded this response.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 02:03:01 AM »
Again not seeing one iota of difference between the two examples or the citation of Jack Barry's opening spiel that preceded this response.
The way I see them is like this:
* Bob's line is a standard game show greeting.
* Jack's line is a quick catch-up for viewers and/or audience members who may not have seen the previous show.
* Steve's line is a declaration of quality for an episode that's barely started (and/or a game that hasn't started yet).
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2017, 02:04:36 AM »

Just like at the beginning of a good chunk of The Jokers Wild episodes when Jack Barry said, "On our last program we crowned a brand new champion".  It made it sound like there was some formal ceremony off-camera where the new champion was given a Queen For a Day treatment for beating the current king of the hill (robe, scepter, crown,...).
That'z just silly talk.

We're already far afield from annoying gimmicks anyway--let's not devolve into making crap up.
Travis L. Eberle

tyshaun1

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2017, 08:57:18 AM »

Very similar to what they do on TPIR, having the audience "applaud" after the prize descriptions are done. Every. Single. Time.

Tyshaun

tpirfan28

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »
* Jack's line is a quick catch-up for viewers and/or audience members who may not have seen the previous show.
At least it's a cordial welcome to the program.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"