Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TTTT is 60 years old  (Read 6636 times)

BillCullen1

TTTT is 60 years old
« on: December 18, 2016, 10:50:49 AM »
On December 18, 1856, To Tell The Truth premiered on CBS, with Bud Collyer. 60 years later, this show has once again found new popularity and is coming back in January with Anthony Anderson, who is the 9th regular host of the show. Buzzr will have a marathon of TTTT on 12/18 starting at 4 pm EST. Happy 60th birthday to TTTT.

Bob Zager

Re: TTTT is 60 years old
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 01:18:32 PM »
On December 18, 1856, To Tell The Truth premiered on CBS, with Bud Collyer...

Correction--the year was 1956!

When mentioning "regular" hosts, The second shortest run series (1990-1991) featured more regular hosts than any--THREE regular hosts!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 03:17:57 PM »
Given all the different versions, regular hosts and guest hosts, I think it's safe to say that more different people have hosted To Tell The Truth than any other game show.  As one point, I think I had counted about two dozen.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 06:06:53 PM »
On December 18, 1856, To Tell The Truth premiered on CBS, with Bud Collyer...

Correction--the year was 1956! 

Wow! - I didn't catch that. Guess I've had too much spiked eggnog.   ;) 

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 06:12:55 PM »
Given all the different versions, regular hosts and guest hosts, I think it's safe to say that more different people have hosted To Tell The Truth than any other game show.  As one point, I think I had counted about two dozen. 

If you count the substitute hosts, yes easily. On Buzzr, they've shown Robert Q Lewis, Merv Griffin, Gene Rayburn and Orson Bean sitting in Bud Collyer's seat and my username in Garry Moore's seat. Bob Stewart strikes gold again.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 07:03:39 PM »
I can't retrieve it at the moment since I'm away from home, but I believe Adam Nedeff's "This Day in Game Show History" listed all of the hosts in it and it is at that number plus. You could have a marathon of substitute hosts alone!

I completely forgot about the anniversary, but I've been watching a lot of it on YouTube recently. Some favorite moments so far are the episode where the panels of TTTT and I've Got A Secret swapped shows and the episode with the Soviet spy where Henry Morgan fools the whole panel. I haven't watched as much of the first syndicated series, but what comes to mind are the episode where the guy forgot the name to say (and still got a vote, I believe), and the final episode Garry Moore hosted with the hearty ovation he received.

I'd like to find more episodes where there's a special guest as an impostor. I do love though how many color episodes of the first series survived. It's nice to have color episodes of at least one of the G-T panel shows.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 10:03:18 PM »
I can't retrieve it at the moment since I'm away from home, but I believe Adam Nedeff's "This Day in Game Show History" listed all of the hosts in it and it is at that number plus. You could have a marathon of substitute hosts alone!

Just looked it up myself, and there were twenty-three hosts in total: Mike Wallace, Bud Collyer, Ralph Bellamy, John Cameron Swayze, Sonny Fox, Robert Q. Lewis, Jim Fleming, Merv Griffin, Gene Rayburn, Orson Bean, Bert Convy, Mark Goodson, Garry Moore, Peggy Cass, Bill Cullen, Joe Garagiola, Robin Ward, Richard Kline, Gordon Elliot, Lynn Swann, Alex Trebek, John O' Hurley, and Anthony Anderson.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 10:28:07 PM »
Just looked it up myself, and there were twenty-three hosts in total: Mike Wallace, Bud Collyer, Ralph Bellamy, John Cameron Swayze, Sonny Fox, Robert Q. Lewis, Jim Fleming, Merv Griffin, Gene Rayburn, Orson Bean, Bert Convy, Mark Goodson, Garry Moore, Peggy Cass, Bill Cullen, Joe Garagiola, Robin Ward, Richard Kline, Gordon Elliot, Lynn Swann, Alex Trebek, John O' Hurley, and Anthony Anderson.

I know that Peggy Cass hosted one segment on one of the 70s shows.  I don't know whether she hosted an entire episode.  But if Adam's counting that single segment, then add Kitty Carlisle to the list, because she did the same thing.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 08:21:56 PM »
Peggy Cass' hosting stint can be found in the middle of this "triple play":

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 08:51:56 PM »
Watching last night's episode, I just cannot get over the fact that they don't start with "Number one, what is your name please?" but rather each person recites the one-liner. I don't think this works as an hour, but I think one story every day will work for me.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 09:39:23 PM »
Watching last night's episode, I just cannot get over the fact that they don't start with "Number one, what is your name please?" but rather each person recites the one-liner. I don't think this works as an hour, but I think one story every day will work for me.

Is To Tell The Truth the only show in history that's older than its host?

EDIT: Bob Bergen almost made it.  The JEP! host born on March 8, 1964 and Jeopardy debuted on March 30.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »
If you count Cullen's version, TPiR predates Drew by two years.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 09:43:17 PM »
If you count Cullen's version, TPiR predates Drew by two years.

And see, I thought I checked that, but I had it all figured out backwards.  So yes, Drew.  Steve Harvey is much older than I thought.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 09:45:51 PM »
I did not know Alec Baldwin was that old. When Pat/Alex retire, there's a good chance that Wheel and Jeopardy join that club unless they reanimate Strom Thurmund to host.

I'm such a silly head, I was watching the show but not paying attention and didn't remember to "cast my vote" for whoever had been attacked by a bear.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »
When Pat/Alex retire, there's a good chance that Wheel and Jeopardy join that club unless they reanimate Strom Thurmund to host.

I was going to say this would also be true if either of the other Goodson panel shows ever got revived.

And then I remembered one of them did.  Both Stephanie Miller and Bil Dwyer were born in the early sixties.