Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which Would You Choose? Part 1  (Read 9530 times)

That Don Guy

Which Would You Choose? Part 1
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2004, 01:23:35 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 04:37 PM\'] The first example:
Dates:  3/20/72 - 1/4/74
Shows:  The Who, What or Where Game on NBC, Split Second on ABC
 [/quote]
Living in the west, this was never a problem - ABC aired reruns of The Brady Bunch at 11:30 against WWW; Split Second was on at 12:30, against one of NBC's soaps.  (Let's Make a Deal followed at 1:30; I seem to recall All My Children being sandwiched between the two for whatever reason.)

The only choice I remember: 1973, 9:30 AM - The $10,000 Pyramid on CBS vs. Baffle on NBC.  (Pyramid got TPIR's spot when TPIR moved to 2:00, paierd first with Hollywood's Talking at 2:30, then the star-studded, big-money Match Game '73.)  Actually, I usually switched between the two depending on which one's endgame was in progress.  (Things you learn from the EoTVGS: not only did both of these shows premiere on the same day, but they were both cancelled (well, the CBS version of Pyramid, anyway) on the same day as well.)

(And only out west would an early morning game show be interrupted for a special report about baseball - a September Baffle was interrupted near the end of the show to report that Hank Aaron had hit something like his 711th home run, three short of Babe Ruth.)

-- Don

Jim

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2004, 02:28:12 PM »
I would watch Who What Where because it was a far more engaging game with tougher questions.  I would, however, flip over to Split Second for the last five minutes each day to see if the contestant won the car.

Don Howard

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2004, 05:31:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Jim\' date=\'Jan 24 2004, 02:28 PM\'] I would watch Who What Where because it was a far more engaging game with tougher questions.  I would, however, flip over to Split Second for the last five minutes each day to see if the contestant won the car. [/quote]
 Which would have been easy to do without missing any 3Ws game time since NBC ran a five-minute news update at 12:55pm.

Jim

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2004, 11:00:26 AM »
WWW followed by old Smiley, Edwin Newman.

davemackey

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2004, 08:29:32 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 10:29 PM\'] On a 1997 thread discussing local affiliate pre-emptions, I recal David starting out his reply w/the line "How much bandwidth have you got?". :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/QUOTE]
And let's flash back to a simpler time -- 7/3/97, to be exact:

I have no idea how to do the Tiny URL thing, but enjoy this classic Usenet bit

Doug -- who wasn't around those parts back in that day, but I enjoyed the read nonetheless [/quote]
 I am really thrilled to seeing Dave Hammett here. He, of course, made his way into the game show business, and we're all thrilled about that.

That was a great thread. You had Mark Jeffries, Chuck Donegan, Curt Alliaume, Zach, the late great Randy Amasia, and me.... those were the kind of discussions that ruled the day back in the good old days of a.t.g-s. Too bad it turned into a trash wallow. But hey, that's why we're here and not there.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2004, 10:25:45 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jan 27 2004, 07:29 AM\'] I am really thrilled to seeing Dave Hammett here. He, of course, made his way into the game show business, and we're all thrilled about that.

That was a great thread. You had Mark Jeffries, Chuck Donegan, Curt Alliaume, Zach, the late great Randy Amasia, and me.... those were the kind of discussions that ruled the day back in the good old days of a.t.g-s. Too bad it turned into a trash wallow. But hey, that's why we're here and not there. [/quote]
 It really does make me kinda regret not having hooked up with you folks in the past.  Ignorance is no excuse (I wasn't even aware of ATGS' existence until 2000), though I'm glad I'm here now.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2004, 11:15:12 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 27 2004, 10:25 AM\'] [quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jan 27 2004, 07:29 AM\'] I am really thrilled to seeing Dave Hammett here. He, of course, made his way into the game show business, and we're all thrilled about that.

That was a great thread. You had Mark Jeffries, Chuck Donegan, Curt Alliaume, Zach, the late great Randy Amasia, and me.... those were the kind of discussions that ruled the day back in the good old days of a.t.g-s. Too bad it turned into a trash wallow. But hey, that's why we're here and not there. [/quote]
It really does make me kinda regret not having hooked up with you folks in the past.  Ignorance is no excuse (I wasn't even aware of ATGS' existence until 2000), though I'm glad I'm here now.

Doug [/quote]
 It was truly a great place to be......Believe it or not, there was a time that there wasn't really any flaming and/or trolls at all. Sad how it's disintegrated.

Everyone that Dave Mackey has mentioned (and some he hasn't) and including Dave himself, I hold in very high regard - they are some of the best you'll find around to converse with about, as David Hammett might say, "all things game show".

rugrats1

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2004, 06:43:54 PM »
WTVT also never aired "Capitol" or "Bold and the Beautiful" (when WTSP became the CBS affiliate in December 1994, "B&B" started airing in Tampa).

Sometime in the early-1990s, WTMV ch.32 (now WMOR), then a cheaply-run independent station, carried B&B when it's run on CBS. It moved to WTSP after ch.10 assumed the CBS affiliation.

We never seen "Capitol" or the early B&Bs, though.

Also, for some reason, WTVT has shown CBS's soaps on a day-delay basis (or was it week-delay?).  They switched to same-day when CBS moved to ch.10, but I recall the station was showing Friday's CBS soaps overnight, during its final days with ABC.

ChuckNet

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2004, 07:53:59 PM »
That was a great thread. You had Mark Jeffries, Chuck Donegan, Curt Alliaume, Zach, the late great Randy Amasia, and me.... those were the kind of discussions that ruled the day back in the good old days of a.t.g-s. Too bad it turned into a trash wallow. But hey, that's why we're here and not there.

Indeed...and yeah, those were the days...in summer '97, I was just an 18YO kid barely out of HS w/big dreams...nice to know I was considered one of the "big guys" around the former ATGS at such a young age and in such a short time, though. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2004, 07:58:58 PM »
It was truly a great place to be......Believe it or not, there was a time that there wasn't really any flaming and/or trolls at all. Sad how it's disintegrated.

Yeah, but under the circumstances, I can't complain too much. :-)

Everyone that Dave Mackey has mentioned (and some he hasn't) and including Dave himself, I hold in very high regard - they are some of the best you'll find around to converse with about, as David Hammett might say, "all things game show".

Well, thanks...I feel the same way about these aforementioned "old-timers", as well, though we've also picked up some newbies that have since proven themselves worthy of "big league" status like Doug, George, and that guy who announces TPiR when Burton's not on...can't remember his name... :-D

ChuckNet

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2004, 08:06:29 PM »
Sometime in the early-1990s, WTMV ch.32 (now WMOR), then a cheaply-run independent station, carried B&B when it's run on CBS. It moved to WTSP after ch.10 assumed the CBS affiliation.

WTMV also aired the Family Feud Challenge in 92-93...I recall seeing a FFC ad in an Orlando TVG from Jul 92, where instead of the usual fancy graphic a CBS affiliate might place in such an ad, they had a rather generic-looking "WTMV, Ch. 32" graphic (Orlando's WKMG [Ch. 6] also didn't carry FFC, and no indie or Fox affiliate was willing to clear it, either).

trainman

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2004, 12:00:43 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 27 2004, 05:06 PM\'] WTMV also aired the Family Feud Challenge in 92-93...I recall seeing a FFC ad in an Orlando TVG from Jul 92, where instead of the usual fancy graphic a CBS affiliate might place in such an ad, they had a rather generic-looking "WTMV, Ch. 32" graphic (Orlando's WKMG [Ch. 6] also didn't carry FFC, and no indie or Fox affiliate was willing to clear it, either). [/quote]
 Yes, and thanks to Steve for reminding me about "B&B" being on WTMV.  I have no excuse for not remembering that, because I was an intern at WTMV while they were running it, in the summer of 1992 (not that I had any direct dealings with either "B&B" or "Family Feud," of course).  When I interviewed with the operations manager, he asked, "Do you ever watch the station?"  I said, "I watch 'Family Feud' sometimes."

At the end of "Family Feud" and, presumably, "B&B," WTMV would run their own cheaply-produced version of the network ID...they took a "this is CBS" ID, complete with announcer, and wiped to their "V32" logo, with, um, no announcer.
trainman is a man of trains

GSWitch

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2004, 09:14:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 10:16 AM\'] I don't think soap operas had anywhere near as many local pre-emptions. [/quote]
Houston's KTRK perferred their Million Dollar Movie over The Edge of Night!

Million Dollar Movie began in 1973 @ 3:30.  Then they moved it to 3:00 in 1976 to start a 5:00 local news.  If they had it @ 3:00 originally, then Houston would've been denied of The $10,000 Pyramid, The Money Maze & You Don't Say!.  Million Dollar Movie ended in 1992.

KPRC didn't allow Sunset Beach that it was carried on KTXH-20 (UPN).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2004, 09:15:38 AM by GSWitch »

byrd62

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2004, 12:34:45 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 11:20 PM\']The bizarre situation is that in the really big cities there were fewer pre-emptions because some or all of the affiliates were network owned-and-operated...but then at the next "level" of city size, suddenly, you'd hit a peak number of pre-emptions, and there would tend to be fewer and fewer pre-emptions as the city got smaller and smaller.

The Tampa soap opera pre-emptions that I'm aware of, to give you some idea:  I don't think WTSP ever aired "Edge of Night" after it moved from CBS to ABC (they had a 4:00 movie); WTVT dropped "Search for Tomorrow" near the end of its run on CBS (because they expanded their noon news to 60 minutes); I don't think WFLA/WXFL ever aired "Search" after it moved to NBC (they had various syndicated shows in the 12:30 time slot during those years, most notably "All in the Family" reruns); and due to the 60-minute noon news, WTVT also never aired "Capitol" or "Bold and the Beautiful" (when WTSP became the CBS affiliate in December 1994, "B&B" started airing in Tampa).[/quote]
Back in the 1970's, WTVT aired Search on next-day tape delay at 1 pm; their midday news had always been an hour since the 1960's.  When Search... jumped to NBC, it was still on at 12:30, but WFLA/WXFL bumped it off because they, too, had an hour-long midday newscast some years, or news and Archie Bunker reruns other years.

From a game show perspective, WTVT never aired any CBS programming at 10 am, be it Joker's Wild or the 1980's version of Pyramid until the mid-1980's due to the likes of Mike Douglas, John Davidson and Gary Collins, nor did they air any 4 pm shows, like Match Game or TattleTales because of Bonanza reruns or Merv Griffin.  What was ironic, though was that by the 1980's, WTVT aired the syndicated Joker's Wild.

WFLA/WXFL bumped Card Sharks at 10 am for Romper Room, then during the noon hour for the news, but, in another bit of irony, they bumped one of NBC's daytime games in the mid-1980's for syndicated reruns of [/I]Card Sharks.

Pre-emptions were all about the money and how stations can make more of it by selling their own ads.