Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which Would You Choose? Part 1  (Read 9532 times)

Don Howard

Which Would You Choose? Part 1
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004, 08:45:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 05:21 PM\'] Does it count if you're missing one only because you're too lazy to set the VCR?

[/quote]
 VCR in 1972? Way too expensive, my good fellow.
By the way, the winner at my house was The Who, What or Where Game. I began watching Split Second upon the cancellation of The 3Ws.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2004, 09:38:04 AM »
For me, it was always "Split Second" -- until "Celebrity Sweepstakes" came along in the same time slot.  After that, I usually watched the NBC offering in that time slot, which turned into "Blank Check" and then "Magnificent Marble Machine".

I did watch the finales of "Password" and "Split Second" in 1975 - I destinctly remember the "It's a Brand New Day on ABC" promos - I'm glad one of those promos exists in the trade curcuit!

Other choices I had to make were between CBS and NBC during their morning blocks in the mid'70s.  I usually ended up watching the NBC shows.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2004, 09:39:55 AM »
Well, if I was alive in 1972, I would definately watch Split Second. Although I have nothing against the 3 W's.... actually I've never seen an episode of it, so I digress...

Heck, if was watching SS, I probably would stick there to watch Password.

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2004, 09:52:12 AM »
I would have probably picked Split Second, as I've always liked the show and plus Tom Kennedy was always one of my favorite emcees...

uncamark

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2004, 11:31:52 AM »
"Split Second."  Great show.

"3Ws" was good, but it wasn't one-two on "SS"' pacing, question variety, end game and, of course, Tom Kennedy.

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »
As a part of the younger generation, I would base my choice off of the respective revivals, SS86 and The Challengers.

Damn, I liked both shows...but I'd have to say Split Second. I think the fast-pace added a lot of drama, which I love in a game show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2004, 06:13:01 PM »
Thus my constant refrain when discussing a lot of these 70s shows... everyone all together now... "We didn't get it in Atlanta." :-)

On a 1997 thread discussing local affiliate pre-emptions, I recal David starting out his reply w/the line "How much bandwidth have you got?". :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2004, 06:43:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 08:45 AM\']VCR in 1972? Way too expensive, my good fellow.[/quote]
I suppose HSq and TPIR might've been competing in 1972 . . .

No, I was running more with Curt's comment about the younger board members, especially since I have never seen Split Second, The WWoW Game, The Challengers, etc.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2004, 10:29:44 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 05:13 PM\']
Thus my constant refrain when discussing a lot of these 70s shows... everyone all together now... "We didn't get it in Atlanta." :-)

On a 1997 thread discussing local affiliate pre-emptions, I recal David starting out his reply w/the line "How much bandwidth have you got?". :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 And let's flash back to a simpler time -- 7/3/97, to be exact:

I have no idea how to do the Tiny URL thing, but enjoy this classic Usenet bit

Doug -- who wasn't around those parts back in that day, but I enjoyed the read nonetheless
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

GSWitch

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2004, 10:56:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 05:43 PM\'] I suppose HSq and TPIR might've been competing in 1972 . . . [/quote]
 Nope!

Hollywood Squares was on @ 10:30 opposite soap Love of Life.

Price Is Right was on @ 9:30 opposite Concentration.

calliaume

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2004, 11:18:57 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 10:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 05:43 PM\'] I suppose HSq and TPIR might've been competing in 1972 . . . [/quote]
Nope!

Hollywood Squares was on @ 10:30 opposite soap Love of Life.

Price Is Right was on @ 9:30 opposite Concentration. [/quote]
The only times when TPIR and Hollywood Squares competed while on networks were 10/4/76-9/29/78, when both aired at 10:30 Eastern.  (This is per my own website, which lists the daytime schedules of CBS, NBC, and ABC.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 11:19:27 PM by calliaume »

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2004, 11:56:01 PM »
I never seemed to have any conflict problems with two games at the same time in 1972.  When TPIR came along (and if I was home to watch it) I'd pick it simply because I felt Concentration was old and tired after so many years (besides, they were still using ORGAN MUSIC!).  At 11:30 Split Second was my choice because it was newer than WWW on NBC which I'd seen enough times by then to do without.

The real problem for me then was not being able to watch The Joker's Wild or Three On A Match because the affiliates bumped them.  Thank heaven "The Vin Scully Show" (CBS, early 1973) was on where I lived then, and I could catch it most days.  It didn't even make the TV Guide listings in the Kansas City Edition.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Ian Wallis

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2004, 11:16:23 AM »

Doug -- who wasn't around those parts back in that day, but I enjoyed the read nonetheless

I enjoyed reading the old thread too, and am surprised at the number of big cities that didn't clear all those game shows (and I thought my local affiliates were bad).  You can certainly tell where games fit into the grand scheme of things though - I don't think soap operas had anywhere near as many local pre-emtions.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2004, 12:36:42 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 10:29 PM\'][quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 05:13 PM\']

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]

Doug -- who wasn't around those parts back in that day, but I enjoyed the read nonetheless[/quote]
I have to amend my post on that old Google thread--WSNS in either 1974 or 1975 briefly ran "TTTT," I think a year behind the major markets.

And "The Movie Game" ran on WSNS in 1972 after it had ended production, I believe--it was the Larry Blyden shows and WSNS had to insert another Colgate-Palmolive commercial over the one on the tape--some nights, the only national spots that would air on that station.

trainman

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2004, 11:20:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 08:16 AM\'] I enjoyed reading the old thread too, and am surprised at the number of big cities that didn't clear all those game shows (and I thought my local affiliates were bad).  You can certainly tell where games fit into the grand scheme of things though - I don't think soap operas had anywhere near as many local pre-emtions. [/quote]
 The bizarre situation is that in the really big cities there were fewer pre-emptions because some or all of the affiliates were network owned-and-operated...but then at the next "level" of city size, suddenly, you'd hit a peak number of pre-emptions, and there would tend to be fewer and fewer pre-emptions as the city got smaller and smaller.

The Tampa soap opera pre-emptions that I'm aware of, to give you some idea:  I don't think WTSP ever aired "Edge of Night" after it moved from CBS to ABC (they had a 4:00 movie); WTVT dropped "Search for Tomorrow" near the end of its run on CBS (because they expanded their noon news to 60 minutes); I don't think WFLA/WXFL ever aired "Search" after it moved to NBC (they had various syndicated shows in the 12:30 time slot during those years, most notably "All in the Family" reruns); and due to the 60-minute noon news, WTVT also never aired "Capitol" or "Bold and the Beautiful" (when WTSP became the CBS affiliate in December 1994, "B&B" started airing in Tampa).
trainman is a man of trains