Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: From Steve  (Read 2512 times)

BrandonFG

From Steve
« on: January 21, 2004, 01:14:32 PM »
They began to strike gold as distributors of Tic Tac Dough in the late '70s and early '80s and exploded with the successes of Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy! and Oprah Winfrey in the 1980s.

I'm not going to say he's got his facts wrong, but I am curious, did the Kings actually have a hand in distributing TTD, because AFAIK,  Colbert handled TTD from day one, and of course the other syndicated Barry-Enright games.  I ask because I remember reading that King World distributed "SoapWorld" (a soap opera recap show) from c. 1982, and IIRC, someone related to either B-E and/or Colbert was also involved.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

dzinkin

From Steve
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 01:20:13 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 01:14 PM\'] They began to strike gold as distributors of Tic Tac Dough in the late '70s and early '80s and exploded with the successes of Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy! and Oprah Winfrey in the 1980s.

I'm not going to say he's got his facts wrong, but I am curious, did the Kings actually have a hand in distributing TTD, because AFAIK,  Colbert handled TTD from day one, and of course the other syndicated Barry-Enright games.  I ask because I remember reading that King World distributed "SoapWorld" (a soap opera recap show) from c. 1982, and IIRC, someone related to either B-E and/or Colbert was also involved. [/quote]
 Someone related to Colbert was involved... two someones named Michael and Roger King, to be exact. :-)  Both worked for Colbert Television Sales prior to forming their own company.

zachhoran

From Steve
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 07:46:14 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 01:20 PM\']
Someone related to Colbert was involved... two someones named Michael and Roger King, to be exact. :-)  Both worked for Colbert Television Sales prior to forming their own company. [/quote]
 And didn't Colbert cease as a company soon after TJW and TTD's 1986 demise?

uncamark

From Steve
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 11:51:46 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 07:46 PM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 01:20 PM\']
Someone related to Colbert was involved... two someones named Michael and Roger King, to be exact. :-)  Both worked for Colbert Television Sales prior to forming their own company. [/quote]
And didn't Colbert cease as a company soon after TJW and TTD's 1986 demise?[/quote]
That would be more-or-less correct.  Dick Colbert became head of U.S. distribution for ITC, which should explain why they handled "TTD" 1990.

I remember seeing late 70s trade ads for the B&E shows which had King World's name underneath the Colbert name at the bottom.  I believe that the Kings handled East-of-the-Mississippi sales out of their New Jersey offices for Colbert while Colbert focused on West-of-the-Mississippi.