Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Panel shows - Who starts?  (Read 2964 times)

Jay Temple

Panel shows - Who starts?
« on: October 13, 2016, 12:11:20 PM »
For those who have read Gil Fates' book, does he say whether John Daly was told which panelist should start the questioning? I'm assuming the answer was the same for the other panel shows. (When Arlene was blindfolded because the contestant was teaching her to play the trombone, it made sense, of course, but the rest of the time, there didn't appear to be any rhyme or reason.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BillCullen1

Re: Panel shows - Who starts?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:19:34 AM »
Not sure about WML. I know on TTTT, the affidavits listed which panelist would start the questioning. I was in the audience when Garry Moore said that. 

Jay Temple

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:45:03 AM »
That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought of that!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »
In the early years of the show, Daly was told when to start the questioning with the funny-man of the panel for the "wrong track" sequence.    Whenever you would see Steve Allen go down the "wrong track" getting "yes" answers that induced howls of laughter because they were on the wrong track (and because those questions were scripted) Daly always had to know that it was the spot for the "wrong track" segment.

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 10:26:45 PM »
Fates' book notes Soupy Sales would generally begin questioning with the Mystery Guest.  Soupy apparently hated not getting the Mystery Guest, so the reasoning was he wouldn't dare guess after one question, and therefore they'd go through the panel at least once before he could nail the identity down.