Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fleming “Jeopardy!” theme question  (Read 2430 times)

geno57

Fleming “Jeopardy!” theme question
« on: July 21, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »
Has a clean copy of “Take Ten” ever surfaced? I always loved that one, but it’s so hard to hear, what with the announcer and the applause mixed over it. Last I heard (many, many years ago), it didn’t seem to exist.

Bob Zager

Re: Fleming “Jeopardy!” theme question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 02:15:46 PM »
Here in Detroit, the local NBC-TV affiliate station had at least a portion of the theme music that was from a clean copy.  They would play that portion to block out the point where Don Pardo would say, "Stay tuned for Eye Guess (or The Who, What or Where Game)," since the station aired local news immediately following Jeopardy!

At first, Jeopardy! was bumped in favor of the news at 12:00 noon, but too many angry phone calls and letters from loyal viewers caused the station to bring back Jeopardy! and air the news at 12:30 p.m. instead.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 02:39:36 AM »
I have three old TV Guide issues from 1966, 1968 and 1969 showing that the NBC affiliate in Cincinnati (which bumped a LOT of NBC Daytime) did so with "Jeopardy!", and by 1969, that show and "Eye Guess" were seen on new indie WXIX-19.  Glad I wasn't living there back then...
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:39:22 AM »
Here in Detroit, the local NBC-TV affiliate station had at least a portion of the theme music that was from a clean copy.  They would play that portion to block out the point where Don Pardo would say, "Stay tuned for Eye Guess (or The Who, What or Where Game)," since the station aired local news immediately following Jeopardy!

At first, Jeopardy! was bumped in favor of the news at 12:00 noon, but too many angry phone calls and letters from loyal viewers caused the station to bring back Jeopardy! and air the news at 12:30 p.m. instead.

In doing a little research, it took WGAL in Lancaster a little longer to get Jeopardy! back. When the show moved to noon, WGAL already carried "Noonday on 8" at noon and didn't slot Jeopardy! anywhere else. At some point between 1/4/70 and 2/15/70, "Noonday on 8" moved to the 12:30 slot, and Jeopardy was seen at noon once again.

As a footnote, "Noonday on 8" remained at 12:30 for a little over 10 years; it was moved back to its noon slot on 8/4/80, most likely to make room for "The Doctors" when it moved from 2:00 to 12:30. At this point, every noontime program on NBC up until the timeslot was given back to affiliates was never shown on WGAL.