Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Hosts who did cartoon voice work  (Read 18954 times)

gameshowguy2000

Game Show Hosts who did cartoon voice work
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2004, 12:02:51 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 08:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 01:41 AM\'] We need to come up with a Sniglet for the act of referring someone to a crap Geocities website only to have it promptly careen over quota. [/quote]
Disquotafication? ;-) [/quote]
 That might be a good word.

uncamark

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2004, 11:47:25 AM »
[quote name=\'JCGames\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 08:28 PM\']Miss Davis's full name is Mindy Paige Davis Page. Her husband played Lumiere at the same time when she was Babette. I never heard of the AFTRA matter you mentioned, uncamark. I just know that she's known as Paige Davis professionally.[/quote]
Mindy Paige Davis *was* her Equity (and perhaps her AFTRA) name.  I had heard that because "Trading Spaces"' production company is based in Philadelphia, they were trying to avoid AFTRA jurisdiction and having a little bigger pool to hire a host besides QVC hosts (it's based in nearby West Chester), they chopped Davis' first name off to avoid being under the radar--[Angus Deayton] allegedly.  [AD]

ObGameShow:  Former "Double Dare" announcer (John) Harvey's a staffer on "Trading Spaces."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2004, 06:09:29 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 07:59 PM\']
I think I may be sadly mistaken, but I think Dick Clark did a voice of a character in one of the many take-offs on "A Christmas Carol". His character was named "Humbug."

Scrooge: Get to work! Humbug! Humbug!
Humbug (to camera): He says "humbug" all the time. That's where I got my name!

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The IMDB has a pretty good-sized entry on The Man, but neither hide nor hair of "A Christmas Carol". Doesn't help your case, but it doesn't necessarily invalidate it, either.

I recall a Rankin-Bass cartoon from the late-1970s based on "A Christmas Carol" (the actual title escapes me for now) that starred Walter Matthau and Tom Bosley, with Bosley playing "Humbug". I don't think Dick Clark was involved with that one. [/quote]
 Tom Bosley! That's who it was! Thank you!

Mark McNeil

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2004, 08:43:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Match Game Nut\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 08:13 PM\']As a cartoon fan(specifically the Disney Afternoon cartoons from the early 90's, Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin, etc...), I know that Charles Nelson Reilly voiced a handyman or something in an episode of Goof Troop. It was pretty funny when I realized it was him, as he did that oft-imitated laugh of his, heh. Also, CNR voiced "Killer" in the All Dogs Go To Heaven movies(this according to the voicechasers.com website posted earlier in this thread.

[/quote]
  Charles Nelson Reilly was hilarious as the voice of Frank Frankenstone on "The Flintstone Comedy Show / The Flintstone Funnies". "STRANGE-O!"
  "High Roller" hostess Ruta Lee did the voice of Frankenstone's wife Hidea.
  "Sale Of The Century" hostess for-a-while Sally Julian did the voice of Spaghetti on "Meatballs And Spaghetti".

davemackey

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2004, 09:30:05 PM »
I don't know how many posts we've gone through in this thread, but nobody has mentioned Frank Buxton, host of "Get The Message" and voice of the 60's character Batfink.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 10:38:45 AM by Matt Ottinger »

GS Warehouse

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2004, 09:54:41 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 09:30 PM\'] I don't know how many posts we've gone through in this thread, but nobody has mentioned Frank Buxton, host of "Get The Message" and voice of the 60's character Batfink. [/quote]
 I knew he was Batfink, but I didn't know about GtM.

That Don Guy

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2004, 10:21:31 PM »
I'll throw in a few I haven't seen mentioned:

Dick Clark was on an episode of The Angry Beavers as "Click Dark", the host of the Arbor Day equivalent of "New Year's Rockin' Eve"; another episode had Johnny Gilbert as the announcer for a TV sweepstakes.

John O'Hurley was on Hey Arnold! as the local councilman (who ended up losing the election to Arnold's friend, the local butcher).

And, of course, Harry Shearer, host of (I think it was called) Harry Shearer's It's News to Me is one of the stars of The Simpsons.

-- Don

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2004, 10:34:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Mark McNeil\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 09:43 PM\'] "Sale Of The Century" hostess for-a-while Sally Julian did the voice of Spaghetti on "Meatballs And Spaghetti". [/quote]
 That's right, gang, somebody once hired Sally Julian...FOR HER VOICE!!!!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2004, 12:46:18 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Jan 22 2004, 10:21 PM\']And, of course, Harry Shearer, host of (I think it was called) Harry Shearer's It's News to Me is one of the stars of The Simpsons.[/quote]
"Harry Shearer's The News Hole."

He would've had to pay Goodson for the "It's News to Me" title.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2004, 01:37:47 PM »
Another one that comes to mind, being a fan of the Original Transformers cartoons:

Laurie Faso did some voice work on both Transformers and G.I. Joe.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

zachhoran

« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2004, 07:46:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 01:37 PM\'] Another one that comes to mind, being a fan of the Original Transformers cartoons:

Laurie Faso did some voice work on both Transformers and G.I. Joe. [/quote]
 I'm Telling you man, he was a walking cartoon.

Michael Brandenburg

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2004, 07:49:35 PM »
Here's one more you can add to the list -- Bob Hastings, the original host of Dealer's Choice in 1974 before he was replaced with Jack Clark.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Bud Collyer supplied the voice of Superman in both the Dave Flescher/Famous Studios Superman animated cartoons of the early 1940s and the Filmation Studios Superman cartoons that CBS aired on Saturday mornings in the late 1960s.  I bought a VHS cassette of some of the latter cartoons some time ago and the end credits of that tape state that not only was Bud Collyer the voice of Superman on that series, but Bob Hastings was the voice of Superboy, whose adventures aired during the CBS Superman shows.

Michael Brandenburg
   (But there is an interesting oddity on that tape -- it has no Superboy episodes on it; hence, no voices of that character by Bob Hastings!)

davemackey

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2004, 07:53:18 PM »
Bob Hastings also voiced Commissioner Gordon on "Batman: The Animated Series".

Starkman

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2004, 09:19:13 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 07:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 01:37 PM\'] Another one that comes to mind, being a fan of the Original Transformers cartoons:

Laurie Faso did some voice work on both Transformers and G.I. Joe. [/quote]
I'm Telling you man, he was a walking cartoon. [/quote]
 he looked more like a cartoon in real life i think ;)

Although I'm telling sucked eggs for 23 of it's 25 mins, it did Have one of the coolest kid's show endgames this side of the obstacle course. And Faso was not a BAD host, just a terrible show (hey it was NBC sat morning in the late 80s early 90s, you dont expect something good back then unless it was called saved by the bell, did ya ;) )

TimK2003

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2004, 10:16:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Jan 23 2004, 07:49 PM\']
   Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Bud Collyer supplied the voice of Superman in both the Dave Flescher/Famous Studios Superman animated cartoons of the early 1940s and the Filmation Studios Superman cartoons that CBS aired on Saturday mornings in the late 1960s.  I bought a VHS cassette of some of the latter cartoons some time ago and the end credits of that tape state that not only was Bud Collyer the voice of Superman on that series, but Bob Hastings was the voice of Superboy, whose adventures aired during the CBS Superman shows.

Michael Brandenburg
   (But there is an interesting oddity on that tape -- it has no Superboy episodes on it; hence, no voices of that character by Bob Hastings!) [/quote]
 Oddly enough, in recent months, cable's Boomerang Channel has begun airing the Famous Studios Superman cartoon shorts as well as the late 60's version (they eliminated the original openings/closings of the 60's cartoon in favor of a more modern intro/outro).

However, I do believe that Filmation had no hand in those late 60's cartoons.  IIRC, those were put out directly by either Marvel or DC Comics, and was noted for finding ways of limiting movements on their characters (for example, when someone would talk, their face/lips would more than likely be hidden so the animators could use still or limited movement while they spoke -- a cost-cutting move in those times).  Another example of limited-movement cartoons of that era were the post-Chuck Jones era Road Runner cartoons.  

Anyways, as far as I know, there are no Filmation titles that are currently out in syndication anywhere in the States,  including Fat Albert (voiced by Game Show Host Bill Cosby), The Archies, and the Groovy Ghoulies, to name a few.  The Tom & Jerry cartoons produced by filmation were seen a few years ago, but I believe that MGM owned the rights which kept them on the air.