Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Hosts who did cartoon voice work  (Read 18960 times)

Starkman

Game Show Hosts who did cartoon voice work
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2004, 07:20:24 AM »
hey I think you're right.  After all, I was trying to recall from when I was 8 years old ;). I just remember the name Wink Martiandale from an episode and well remembered a game show ep, but forgot there were 2.

zachhoran

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2004, 07:55:04 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 02:06 AM\']

I am absolutely shocked that I remember this from the days when I would watch cartoons before the school bus showed up.

[/quote]
 This might lead to another oddball question: Did anyone ever manage to find a station airing pre-9AM EST game shows in their 1st-12th grade school days(Kindergarten days with afternoon half day sessions don't count), before they went to school.

aaron sica

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2004, 08:13:01 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 07:55 AM\'] This might lead to another oddball question: Did anyone ever manage to find a station airing pre-9AM EST game shows in their 1st-12th grade school days(Kindergarten days with afternoon half day sessions don't count), before they went to school. [/quote]
 Yes, Zach, and I'm surprised you didn't think of this one, although maybe it's not one of the answers you are looking for...

I believe WWOR-TV 9 used to air "Family Feud" first-run at 6am weekdays when I was a senior in HS...

GSWitch

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2004, 08:21:00 AM »
CAPTAIN PLANET:  You Bet Your Planet episode featured voices Casey Kasem as the alien host along with Gene Wood as his announcer.  The Planeteers vs the eco villains face off in various contests with Captain Planet's life is in jeopardy!

TWO STUPID DOGS:  Casey Kasem voices Bill Baker, the host of Let's Make A Right Price.  The episode where 2 Stupid Dogs try to win Granny Joybone Dog Treats, but win everything else, including A NEW CAR!

GSWitch

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2004, 08:23:14 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 06:55 AM\'] This might lead to another oddball question: Did anyone ever manage to find a station airing pre-9AM EST game shows in their 1st-12th grade school days(Kindergarten days with afternoon half day sessions don't count), before they went to school. [/quote]
 KTRK aired Jr. Almost Anything Goes (Soupy Sales) Mondays @ 6:30 CST from 1976-77.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2004, 08:46:39 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 04:55 AM\']
This might lead to another oddball question: Did anyone ever manage to find a station airing pre-9AM EST game shows in their 1st-12th grade school days(Kindergarten days with afternoon half day sessions don't count), before they went to school.[/quote]
(Old Man Periwinkle voice) Well, back in the early Sixties, when the ABC network didn't even sign on until 11AM, Ye Olde WNAC in Boston tape-delayed some network daytime programming in the 7 - 9 AM block (since the Dialing for Dollars movie ate up the 2 - 4 PM block).  As usual, I'm a little sketchy on the details (c'mon, this was 35+ years ago), but I do remember the original versions of The Dating Game and Supermarket Sweep airing opposite the Today show. (/OMPv)

Esoteric Eric, shuddering at the thought of the DFD movie's host, who looked like Milton Berle made up as Cesar Romero's Joker...
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

uncamark

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2004, 12:39:31 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Jan 20 2004, 04:53 PM\']IIRC correctly:

Brian Cummings and Jo Anne Worley both did voice work in Disney's "Beauty & The Beast."

Cummings played the voice of the Stove, and Worley played the voice of the Wardrobe.[/quote]
In a related genre...

In the live stage version of "Beauty and the Beast," the wardrobe was given the name of Babette and was played on Broadway and the road by one Mindy Paige Davis.  When she was hired to replace Alex McLeod on a certain cable show, the producers, wanting to avoid paying out AFTRA benefits, had her drop her first name.

Since that show was "Trading Spaces," it didn't work and AFTRA found out--but she'll be Paige Davis for the rest of her career.

ChuckNet

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2004, 12:44:33 PM »
Going back to "Rugrats", he was also contestant "Edmund Haynes" in "Game Show Didi", the episode where the aforementioned Alex Trebek voiced a game show host.

He also voiced a prissy TV director in that same ep.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2004, 01:03:29 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 01:39 PM\'] In the live stage version of "Beauty and the Beast," the wardrobe was given the name of Babette and was played on Broadway and the road by one Mindy Paige Davis.  When she was hired to replace Alex McLeod on a certain cable show, the producers, wanting to avoid paying out AFTRA benefits, had her drop her first name. [/quote]
Great information, but one small part of it is wrong.  Babette is not the wardrobe, she's the sexy feather duster whom Lumiere...uh...sweeps off her feet (sorry).  

The wardrobe is named Madame de la Grande Bouche and is typically played by someone with a little more...let's say *heft* than Ms. Davis.

ObGameShows:  Jerry Orbach (the film's Lumiere) played both Jeopardy! and What's My Line? extremely well.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 01:07:44 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2004, 01:06:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 01:03 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 01:39 PM\'] In the live stage version of "Beauty and the Beast," the wardrobe was given the name of Babette and was played on Broadway and the road by one Mindy Paige Davis.  When she was hired to replace Alex McLeod on a certain cable show, the producers, wanting to avoid paying out AFTRA benefits, had her drop her first name. [/quote]
Great information, but one small part of it is wrong.  Babette is not the wardrobe, she's the sexy feather duster whom Lumiere...uh...sweeps off her feet (sorry).  

The wardrobe is named Madame de la Grand Bouche and is typically played by someone with a little more...let's say *heft* than Ms. Davis.[/quote]
You're right, Matt--an acquitance of mine played that role in the second national tour.  Sorry about that.

Carry on.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2004, 06:18:33 PM »
I think I may be sadly mistaken, but I think Dick Clark did a voice of a character in one of the many take-offs on "A Christmas Carol". His character was named "Humbug."

Scrooge: Get to work! Humbug! Humbug!
Humbug (to camera): He says "humbug" all the time. That's where I got my name!

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

JCGames

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2004, 08:28:09 PM »
I saw Beauty and the Beast in Philly back in August. Babette was played at the time by Tracy Generalovich. Every time I saw her on stage I thought to myself, "That feather duster looks like Paige Davis".

Miss Davis's full name is Mindy Paige Davis Page. Her husband played Lumiere at the same time when she was Babette. I never heard of the AFTRA matter you mentioned, uncamark. I just know that she's known as Paige Davis professionally.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2004, 09:29:36 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 04:18 PM\'] I think I may be sadly mistaken, but I think Dick Clark did a voice of a character in one of the many take-offs on "A Christmas Carol". His character was named "Humbug."

Can anyone confirm or deny this? [/quote]
The IMDB has a pretty good-sized entry on The Man, but neither hide nor hair of "A Christmas Carol". Doesn't help your case, but it doesn't necessarily invalidate it, either.

(Good reading. I had no idea he had a bit part in Spy Kids. Now I need to see it. :))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 09:30:15 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2004, 09:55:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 01:41 AM\'] We need to come up with a Sniglet for the act of referring someone to a crap Geocities website only to have it promptly careen over quota. [/quote]
 Disquotafication? ;-)

rugrats1

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2004, 09:59:19 PM »
I think I may be sadly mistaken, but I think Dick Clark did a voice of a character in one of the many take-offs on "A Christmas Carol". His character was named "Humbug."

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The IMDB has a pretty good-sized entry on The Man, but neither hide nor hair of "A Christmas Carol". Doesn't help your case, but it doesn't necessarily invalidate it, either.

I recall a Rankin-Bass cartoon from the late-1970s based on "A Christmas Carol" (the actual title escapes me for now) that starred Walter Matthau and Tom Bosley, with Bosley playing "Humbug". I don't think Dick Clark was involved with that one.