Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: taping question  (Read 3776 times)

danderson

taping question
« on: June 18, 2016, 10:51:53 PM »
I know that Dick Clark would tape two weeks of Pyramid at once(one daytime week and one nighttime week) and also do the same thing with 6 episodes of  American Bandstand. Jim Perry would do 4 weeks of SOTC in four days(although sometimes he might tape a show or two on a Friday) Chuck Woolery did the same thing with Scrabble but he also did Love Connection too. Hugh Downs during his years on Concentration would do two shows at a time but did he ever do 5 in a day? When did most shows start doing five in a day? i think either Downs or Bill Cullen were the first hosts to do that.

BillCullen1

Re: taping question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 11:09:29 PM »
I know the syndie What's My Line was the first G-T show to tape five a day. That was in '68. My guess would be that in 1966, Hollywood Squares might have been the first show to tape five a day regularly.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 11:25:20 PM »
Not disputing your assertion, but wouldn't it be difficult to tape 6 eps of AB at a time, considering the volatility of the record charts?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Thunder

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 12:45:43 AM »
I'd completely dispute his assertion just based on that fact.

danderson

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 03:49:42 AM »
I don't think they taped more than three Bandstand episodes at a time, because of the volatility of the record charts. 
When shows were live, you did need guest hosts, and the last time i saw that happen was 91 when Mark Goodson had to step in for Trebek on TTTT90. I wonder in the case did Goodson know that he'd need to be called in or was he in the studio at NBC Burbank ready just in case?

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 08:32:34 AM »
In the case of Trebek and TTTT,  wasn't Goodson on hand  because Trebek's wife was about to have a baby?

And in th case of AB, there were occasional subs for Clark.  ISTR that on one Friday ABC Pyramid in particular he mentioned that Casey Kasem was to fill in for him.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 11:07:38 AM »
I don't think they taped more than three Bandstand episodes at a time, because of the volatility of the record charts. 
When shows were live, you did need guest hosts, and the last time i saw that happen was 91 when Mark Goodson had to step in for Trebek on TTTT90. I wonder in the case did Goodson know that he'd need to be called in or was he in the studio at NBC Burbank ready just in case?
I'd like to take "none of the above".  How unusual would it have been for Goodson to be at a taping of one of his shows, especially in 1990 when he had only a handful of shows on the air, all recording in LA--Feud, TPiR, TTTT, Match Game 90?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 01:16:22 PM »
I know that Dick Clark would tape two weeks of Pyramid at once(one daytime week and one nighttime week) and also do the same thing with 6 episodes of  American Bandstand.

So in other words, you don't even have it straight in your own damn head.

Come back when you are at least certain of your basic premise.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 01:53:59 PM »
TTTT90 wasn't "live".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Thunder

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 03:44:18 PM »
I know that Dick Clark would tape two weeks of Pyramid at once(one daytime week and one nighttime week) and also do the same thing with 6 episodes of  American Bandstand.

So in other words, you don't even have it straight in your own damn head.

Come back when you are at least certain of your basic premise.

I see what you may have done there.

arrowood20

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »
According an interview that Dick Clark did, they taped three Bandstand episodes on Saturday and three more on Sunday, every 6 weeks. In terms of Pyramid, that varied. In the 70s, he taped five shows on Tuesdays and five more on Wednesdays, when necessary. For the 80s versions, he taped five $25,000 shows on Tuesday, five more on Thursday and five $100,000 shows on Friday.

In terms of subs on Bandstand in the Pyramid years, only Donna Summer ever guest-hosted. Even then, Dick was still on that episode.