Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale Tidbits Early in the Run  (Read 4793 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
$ale Tidbits Early in the Run
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2004, 11:09:30 AM »
[quote name=\'MarkBarrett\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 09:39 AM\'] Can anyone help with the names of champs from SOTC in the first year?  Barbara Phillips is memorable.  I remember Mort Kamins since he later appeared on J!  I think there were two other guys with names like Richard or Paul and one won the boat?  I have a vague memory of a 9-person TofC and want to recall the competitors. [/quote]
 I think Fran Wolf was one of those nine (and I have no idea why that name stands out).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Rastaub

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2004, 06:04:55 PM »
MarkBarrett Posted on Jan 21 2004, 10:39 AM
  Bob - I think Joe Lasher was the carryover champ and continued his run against college students during the college week. Anyone else remember the guy? He looked like a combination of a dark-haired Robert Redford and someone from the Kennedy clan.

Well that answers that question, thanks Mark.  Any idea why Sale elected to do that rather than just letting him sit out for a few weeks?

On the episodes I got, there was a jackpot winner on the Rainbow Buzzers (from 84) named David Rogers. He looks a lot like the guy you describe

MarkBarrett

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2004, 06:36:09 PM »
Joe Lasher was the guy with the wife that had to be around 40 competing with the college students.  Why the show allowed an older player to go against the students is a good question and I don't have an answer for that advantage for Joe.    David Rogers was the younger rocker type with the deep voice.  Yeah, there was an older lady with a sassy attitude named Susan Wolf(e) I think.  Some guy I think was from Hawaii won a bunch of games.  His name may have been Roy or Ray Winston?

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2004, 07:31:43 PM »
[quote name=\'MarkBarrett\' date=\'Jan 21 2004, 06:36 PM\'] Joe Lasher was the guy with the wife that had to be around 40 competing with the college students.  Why the show allowed an older player to go against the students is a good question and I don't have an answer for that advantage for Joe.    David Rogers was the younger rocker type with the deep voice.  Yeah, there was an older lady with a sassy attitude named Susan Wolf(e) I think.  Some guy I think was from Hawaii won a bunch of games.  His name may have been Roy or Ray Winston? [/quote]
 Joe Lasher's win was in Summer 1984 IIRC. Scrabble at the time also had a College week or two, and Mark Dalberman(sp?) was the Sprint champion who carried over to the regular shows, and ended up being the second 10 time champ in the show's then two-month history IIRC.