Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC bringing back Match Game  (Read 95775 times)

whewfan

Re: ABC bringing back Match Game
« Reply #240 on: July 19, 2016, 07:40:04 AM »
I thought it was a stretch too to match bikini with vagina... (bikinis also cover the upper region), even Alec thought so. Also, Jack's answer "tea" for "drink" breaks the "general answers do not match specifics".  It would've been a problem if the panel all had different drinks, like prune juice or orange juice, they'd have to match it since they matched "tea". I think somehow the producers know what the panel writes down, because I think they would've decided that the audience would be confused how all these different liquids are considered a match and decide not to match the answers. This was a problem with MG 98 too because there was too much leeway about what was a match and not.

With MG's current format, there's no reason for the panel to be sure they have the same answer UNLESS the player NEEDS to match ALL to win. The first round should be "anything goes"... if you can't think of an answer, copy from someone, but other than that, just go with your gut and come up with an answer on your own. 

daveromanjr

« Reply #241 on: July 19, 2016, 08:35:54 AM »
I think somehow the producers know what the panel writes down, because I think they would've decided that the audience would be confused how all these different liquids are considered a match and decide not to match the answers. This was a problem with MG 98 too because there was too much leeway about what was a match and not.
One of the episodes I saw tape had what I'd call a full blown melt-down over an answer from a celebrity as to if it should be deemed a match.  The judges waited for quite a while then deemed it not a match.  The panel, audience and Alec all protested and they ended up reversing their decision.  They ended up doing a re-shoot of that celebrity revealing his/her answer after they were done taping the episode.  The delay from when the answer was revealed to when they initially said it was not a match makes me think they don't know what the panelists write.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #242 on: July 19, 2016, 08:45:05 AM »
You don't wax the "upper region" when you get a bikini wax. Difference.

I agree with the judging but wouldn't have cared one way or another if they wanted the more exact phrasing.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MYosua

« Reply #243 on: July 19, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
The interesting thing about this episode is that during the taping, Colleen actually did achieve a tie in round 2 after matching all the celebrities.  They went to the tiebreaker round, and coincidently, Shaun matched all 6 again.  So the question shown on air in round 2 was actually the one she had from the tiebreaker round.  (If you look at the wide shots of the contestant area during that question, you can see that they blacked out the round number on the question holder, although at last once you can see the reflection of "TIE" on the table.)  Since ultimately the outcome of the game was the same, there's technically no harm no foul... but I thought it would have been a better episode with the full tie left in.  However, I'm not sure they could have easily condensed everything else down to have the time to show it.

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2016, 10:11:52 AM »
For anyone else who was curious, here's a screen grab from just after Colleen answered showing the "TIE" reflection:

Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Sodboy13

« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2016, 10:15:06 AM »
So, wait, rather than just adopt the quickie PM/98 tiebreaker and trim a little bit off the first two rounds in post, they dump the entire second round from the broadcast and replace on the sly with a full tiebreaker round? First off, does no one associated with this program have a rulesheet written after 1974? And second, what do they do if a player scores in Round 1, and then there's a tie after Round 2? Send everyone home and strike the set?

EDIT: So they cut half of the second round and replaced it with half of the tiebreak? That's arguably more convoluted and dumber.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

MYosua

« Reply #246 on: July 19, 2016, 11:19:29 AM »
EDIT: So they cut half of the second round and replaced it with half of the tiebreak? That's arguably more convoluted and dumber.
Basically, though Shaun had matched everyone in round 1 so he wasn't asked a question in round 2.  So they presented half of the tiebreaker round as the one question asked in round 2.

TimK2003

« Reply #247 on: July 19, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »
I, too, looked at "Bikini" as the article of clothing and not what the article of clothing was covering.  I forget who said "Bikini Area", but that I'd match as it was meant to describe the vaginal area.

Remember that this was a Dumb Dora question, and I could envision ol' Dora wanting her two-piece bikini waxed, and not her bikini area waxed.

BTW, thanks for the behind-the-scenes observations and the great catch on the TIE screengrab. 

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »
Anybody who is arguing *against* "bikini" hasn't seen a lot of bikini waxes. Read into that what you will.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Thunder

« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »
Yet again, Mr. Lemon makes me bust out laughing.

PYLdude

« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2016, 09:52:22 PM »
Anybody who is arguing *against* "bikini" hasn't seen a lot of bikini waxes. Read into that what you will.

The definitive answer.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2016, 11:34:32 PM »
The exact wording of the question was "she has her _____ waxed".  Since "wax" was in the question, I don't see a reason to have to put it on the answer card, even if you're using the word "wax" as a noun instead of verb.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2016, 11:43:15 PM »
Was this round one or two?
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2016, 11:47:29 PM »
The interesting thing about this episode is that during the taping, Colleen actually did achieve a tie in round 2 after matching all the celebrities.  They went to the tiebreaker round, and coincidently, Shaun matched all 6 again.  So the question shown on air in round 2 was actually the one she had from the tiebreaker round.  (If you look at the wide shots of the contestant area during that question, you can see that they blacked out the round number on the question holder, although at last once you can see the reflection of "TIE" on the table.)  Since ultimately the outcome of the game was the same, there's technically no harm no foul... but I thought it would have been a better episode with the full tie left in.  However, I'm not sure they could have easily condensed everything else down to have the time to show it.

If they can't get six questions in a show, they're just not trying. Though, come to think of it, I was at that same taping; they probably *couldn't* get six questions in a show without taking a coffee break to sober up. That's disappointing.
czambo@mac.com

PYLdude

« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2016, 11:54:42 PM »
Was this round one or two?

It was round two.