Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC bringing back Match Game  (Read 95868 times)

nowhammies10

Re: ABC bringing back Match Game
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »
There's a reason that the 4th seat was called the "dummy seat" back in the day.  Debra fit the bill 100%.

David Levy

« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2016, 08:56:03 PM »
I was able to attend the first two of today's three tapings (but not the third).  Panelists:

Show 5
Upper row: Jack McBrayer | Niecy Nash | Jerry O'Connell
Lower row: Ellie Kemper | David Alan Grier | Natasha Lyonne

Show 6
Upper row: Jason Alexander | Niecy Nash | Jack McBrayer
Lower row: Ellie Kemper | David Alan Grier | Sheryl Crow

The warm-up guy was Frank Nicotero, whose game show experience was evident.  Unlike Joe Bronzi, who approached the gig as one would a sitcom filming (by attempting to micromanage the audience via a series of visual signals, which he even used to dictate which answers to cheer and boo in accordance with his personal judgment), Nicotero simply encouraged the audience members to express their genuine reactions.  As a result, the atmosphere was much more relaxed.

Jerry O'Connell, conversely, seemed lost.  I got the impression that he'd never seen Match Game, as he lacked even a basic grasp of what was expected of him.  During the first game, he triggered a lengthy stopdown by swapping out his answer card at an inappropriate time.  (When the confusion was finally resolved, his portion was restaged with his original response.)  In footage that presumably won't be broadcast, Alec poked fun at Jerry by referencing this incident repeatedly.

The other panelists were fine (or better), though.  Niecy seemed right at home, while David milked every comedic opportunity that arose (and never hesitated to make himself the butt of a joke when the situation called for it).

The questions' quality was much higher and the distribution was more balanced.  For the most part, round 1's questions had multiple reasonable responses and round 2's questions pointed more in a particular direction.

Alec's hosting continues to improve.  He's clearly become more comfortable in his role, with the initial stumbles giving way to confidence and greater spontaneity.

Overall, I'm very impressed.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2016, 10:52:44 PM »
Those are some pretty interesting panel combinations.  Is this the first game show appearance for most of these folks?  I haven't seen Hollywood Game Night, but I've seen a few celeb listings.

I wonder if we'll continue to see a "regular" panelist in the Brett and Richard seats or if the future tapings we'll have someone new. 

I also find it interesting that they're putting potential Charles seat panelists (Jack and Tituss) in the first seat, as well.   CNR sat in the first seat a couple of times (at least twice) during the first year or so of MG '7x.

colonial

« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2016, 11:24:02 PM »
Those are some pretty interesting panel combinations.  Is this the first game show appearance for most of these folks?  I haven't seen Hollywood Game Night, but I've seen a few celeb listings.

I wonder if we'll continue to see a "regular" panelist in the Brett and Richard seats or if the future tapings we'll have someone new. 

I also find it interesting that they're putting potential Charles seat panelists (Jack and Tituss) in the first seat, as well.   CNR sat in the first seat a couple of times (at least twice) during the first year or so of MG '7x.

Off the top of my head, Jack McBrayer is the only game show newbie. Kemper and Lyonne have appeared on HGN, while Crow and Grier both appeared on CNG. Alexander's game show career goes back to Davidson Pyramid, and O'Connell was a celebrity player on Donnymid. Nash was on CFF last season.

colonial

« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2016, 11:29:47 PM »
Speaking of game show newbies appearing on Match Game, a certain woman from Wasilla, Alaska, says she's going to be a panelist at a taping tomorrow.

Sarah Palin ‏@SarahPalinUSA  · 4h4 hours ago 

Loading up on protein in NYC - ready to take Alec Baldwin's Match Game on ABC challenge tomorrow! 󾦀󾇑 http://fb.me/K8OFLf9M

JD

BillCullen1

« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2016, 11:56:57 PM »
Speaking of game show newbies appearing on Match Game, a certain woman from Wasilla, Alaska, says she's going to be a panelist at a taping tomorrow.

Sarah Palin ‏@SarahPalinUSA  · 4h4 hours ago 

Loading up on protein in NYC - ready to take Alec Baldwin's Match Game on ABC challenge tomorrow! 󾦀󾇑 http://fb.me/K8OFLf9M  JD 

Dear God, please don't let her be at the 9 am taping I plan on going to.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2016, 12:06:05 AM »
Why not?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2016, 12:10:55 AM »
Why not?

I wouldn't want to be in the same room as that silly twat either.

Someone let me know when it actually airs so I can not watch.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2016, 12:35:33 AM »
Good: let the misogyny flow.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2016, 12:47:55 AM »
Good: let the misogyny flow.

That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

/hint: I have no problem with Sarah Palin being female
//I have a problem with her being Sarah Palin

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2016, 12:53:32 AM »
And my problem is with your choice of language given your previous lectures as it pertains to women's wagers on Jeopardy. (More specifically a search of "Jeopardy Australia" will have the relevant thread at the top.)

/also, Sarah Palin was last relevant in 2008, I don't see what the upside for the show is to have her on.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2016, 01:17:39 AM »
And my problem is with your choice of language given your previous lectures as it pertains to women's wagers on Jeopardy. (More specifically a search of "Jeopardy Australia" will have the relevant thread at the top.)

Ah, I see. No implication based on gender was intended; I know plenty of male twats too.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2016, 01:21:11 AM »
And one of them was a special guest on $100,000 Pyramid last Sunday.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2016, 01:24:41 AM »
And one of them was a special guest on $100,000 Pyramid last Sunday.

Now you're getting it. :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2016, 01:30:13 AM »
I would hoist a frosty cold one with you if I didn't have this obnoxious boil thing hanging out on my armpit. Not how I was hoping to start a five-day weekend.
Travis L. Eberle