Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'The Hot Half Hour,' 1958 quiz-show novel  (Read 1954 times)

Kniwt

'The Hot Half Hour,' 1958 quiz-show novel
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:26:37 AM »
While reading old issues of Television Digest from 1958, I came across a reference to the novel "The Hot Half Hour," a lightly satirical look at big-money quiz shows just before the big scandals broke. Turns out the whole book is available for free at the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/hothalfhour008566mbp

The author is Robert Foreman, who worked at the BBDO ad agency. It's a very fast read at just over 200 small pages -- even faster if you skip over the B plot about the love story. My quick review: It's not great; in fact, it's just barely good, if even that, but it's an interesting historical artifact.

weaklink75

Re: 'The Hot Half Hour,' 1958 quiz-show novel
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:50:43 PM »
I agree it's not too good, but a little weird that a potential contestant tries to get the producers to tip him off on the answers when in fact the opposite actually occurred shortly after the book was published...and a nice section on the perils of a live shoot..

Kniwt

Re: 'The Hot Half Hour,' 1958 quiz-show novel
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:13:55 PM »
I agree it's not too good, but a little weird that a potential contestant tries to get the producers to tip him off on the answers when in fact the opposite actually occurred shortly after the book was published...and a nice section on the perils of a live shoot..

It's also interesting that the book is fairly blatant about the producers "controlling" the game by writing purposely tough questions to dispose of unwanted contestants, which I believe had not yet been widely acknowledged at the time.