Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show reruns on cable peculiar?  (Read 13201 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: Game show reruns on cable peculiar?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 02:46:35 PM »
Gambit - back issues of TV Guide show this airing in NY and LA around '79
I guess that brings into play the issue of the tapes.  Obviously they weren't discarded immediately, yet I seem to recall this one is usually reported as "destroyed".  Why save the tapes for reruns and then discard?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

brianhenke

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 02:57:15 PM »
I've found a couple of other syndication packages that aired around the country:

"Card Sharks" was airing in 1984 on WFSB in Hartford, paired with the previous week's "$25,000 Pyramid".

"Let's Make a Deal" was airing on both WPIX in NYC & WTVH in Syracuse in 1978-79.

"Truth or Consequences" was airing in reruns on KOA-TV in Denver in the summer of 1976, between Barker's final season and Bob Hilton's first season.

"To Tell the Truth" was airing on WPIX in '78 & '79, as well.

"What's My Line?" was airing on CJOH in Ottawa in 1978 & 1979.

Finally, "Match Game" was airing in 1983 on WBZ-TV in Boston (as previously mentioned).

One final note, I saw a listing for a game show called "Flim Flam" that aired back in 1978. It aired on CJOH in Ottawa, but I've never heard of it before, and I can't find any information about it anywhere. Does anybody here know anything about it?

WCPO aired Card Sharks reruns in the summer of 1982.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »
I've found a couple of other syndication packages that aired around the country:

"Card Sharks" was airing in 1984 on WFSB in Hartford, paired with the previous week's "$25,000 Pyramid".

"Let's Make a Deal" was airing on both WPIX in NYC & WTVH in Syracuse in 1978-79.

"Truth or Consequences" was airing in reruns on KOA-TV in Denver in the summer of 1976, between Barker's final season and Bob Hilton's first season.

"To Tell the Truth" was airing on WPIX in '78 & '79, as well.

"What's My Line?" was airing on CJOH in Ottawa in 1978 & 1979.

Finally, "Match Game" was airing in 1983 on WBZ-TV in Boston (as previously mentioned).

One final note, I saw a listing for a game show called "Flim Flam" that aired back in 1978. It aired on CJOH in Ottawa, but I've never heard of it before, and I can't find any information about it anywhere. Does anybody here know anything about it?

Two things - "What's My Line" on CJOH was very likely the Canadian version.  That season CTV aired their own version, complete with the same music cues as the US syndicated version.  It only lasted that season.

"Flim Flam" was a once-weekly game show aired on CTV, produced at CJOH.  I remember watching it a couple of times - vague memories are that it was some sort of comedy game that dealt with movies.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 04:01:30 PM »
As did KYW in Philly that same summer, and WABC in NYC the next summer.

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, WAVY in Norfolk did as well.

A "closing logo" question, as the reruns have me a bit curious. From what I remember, Firestone distributed the reruns...I'm guessing a Firestone Distribution logo was simply tacked onto the end credits?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jamey Greek

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 11:08:20 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, WAVY in Norfolk did as well.

A "closing logo" question, as the reruns have me a bit curious. From what I remember, Firestone distributed the reruns...I'm guessing a Firestone Distribution logo was simply tacked onto the end credits?

BTW, did the Victory Television logo appear at the end of Tattletales reruns?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 10:46:43 PM »
The Gong Show (the NBC episodes) reran in syndication - can't remember whether it was 1978-79 or a year later.

1978-79 is when they started.  Believe there were three packages in total.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

carlisle96

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »
You Don't Say circa 1970-1971

Syndicated rerun packages for game shows were rare - there's only a handful I can think of:

Best of Groucho - which repeated on local stations during much of the later '60s and '70s
Password - the color daytime year from '67 to about '69
Joker's Wild - the last CBS year for several months leading up to the '77 revival
Gambit - back issues of TV Guide show this airing in NY and LA around '79
Card Sharks - reruns of the last NBC year during '82-83
Newlywed Game - reruns of the late '70s version in '84, leading up to the '85 revival
Dating Game - reruns of the late '70s version from '84-86, leading up to the '86 revival
Match Game - reruns of the daily syndie version around '85 (instead of the new version that had been planned)
Family Feud - a "best of" package during '85-86
Press Your Luck - 130 episodes from 1985 to a handful of stations that never aired it when on CBS

Have I missed any?

The others were on cable starting in the mid-'80s.

TimK2003

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2016, 01:43:35 AM »
Joker's Wild - the last CBS year for several months leading up to the '77 revival

IIRC, The Jokers Wild CBS rerun package was still in syndication beyond 1977, and perhaps up until '79 or '80.  I also want to say, based on fuzzy memory, that Play The Percentages replaced CBS Joker reruns or vice-versa, at least in Cleveland.

The CBS reruns aired weekday mornings in the 9AM hour before the CBS daytime game shows at 10AM on WJKW/TV-8.  The new first-run syndicated Joker shows aired in the early prime during the 7PM hour.