Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Celebrity Family Feud Discussion  (Read 39279 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Celebrity Family Feud - Families Announced
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2015, 05:08:33 PM »
What was the opening question?
"Name something a naked magician might pull a rabbit out of."

One of the Roker Feud questions was "Name another word for 'throwing up.'" I remember shaking my head at that one too.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2015, 05:16:57 PM »
"Name a place a nude magician might pull out a rabbit from." Is that really any more risque than anything on the daytime version though?
Depends: did "poop luge" show up on the board?
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2015, 05:38:42 PM »
"Name a place a nude magician might pull out a rabbit from." Is that really any more risque than anything on the daytime version though?
Depends: did "poop luge" show up on the board?
That was the aforementioned "Ham Flower". First answer revealed--for the record, Anthony Anderson actually said "[the magician's] ass", so family friendly clearly isn't a big deal. Like Greg noted, it's really no worse than the daytime version in that regard.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2015, 05:46:26 PM »
Like Greg noted, it's really no worse than the daytime version in that regard.
It isn't any worse, but geez, could the implications and humor be any more direct and forced? It has to be a naked magician, and honestly, "ham flower"? What does that even mean?
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2015, 09:35:18 PM »
Like Greg noted, it's really no worse than the daytime version in that regard.
It isn't any worse, but geez, could the implications and humor be any more direct and forced? It has to be a naked magician, and honestly, "ham flower"? What does that even mean?
I don't know either and I'm glad because of it.  Seems like they're going for a lower intellect crowd these days.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2015, 09:44:40 PM »
Seems like they're going for a lower intellect crowd these days.
Are you implying that Family Feud is an intellectual enterprise in the first place?

/more like "ham-handed".
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2015, 09:49:29 PM »
I'm the last person to defend the show's writing, but it's honestly no worse than the bawdy humor you get on Family Guy or many Adult Swim comedies. The difference, though, is those shows don't go out of their way to shoehorn the dirty jokes in. If they were at least somewhat subtle, it prolly wouldn't be so jarring.

But yeah, Travis also has a point..."September" Trejo was 35 years ago. The show was never really about intelligence. Suddenly catering to the 8th grader/frat boy crowd, on the other hand, is another story.

/Wonders whether I would've found "ham flower" the least bit humorous at 13
//I did watch a lot of Married...with Children back then, so who knows

snowpeck

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2015, 09:52:45 PM »
I'm not defending the show either... I just think it's a little late in the game to be shocked by anything on Steve Harvey's Feud, regardless of the daypart it's in.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »
That was the aforementioned "Ham Flower". First answer revealed--for the record, Anthony Anderson actually said "[the magician's] ass", so family friendly clearly isn't a big deal.
That question and answer was the only gameplay clip they used on all the commercials for Celebrity Family Feud (with the word 'ass' bleeped), so they clearly don't care about whether anything they advertised on was family friendly either.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »
I'm not defending the show either... I just think it's a little late in the game to be shocked by anything on Steve Harvey's Feud, regardless of the daypart it's in.

Therein lies the problem: I don't think anyone's shocked. Just disappointed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2015, 11:50:07 PM »
But yeah, Travis also has a point..."September" Trejo was 35 years ago. The show was never really about intelligence. Suddenly catering to the 8th grader/frat boy crowd, on the other hand, is another story.
This wasn't my point, but I'll come back to it.

I know that Mark wants all game shows to be the equivalent of G.E. College Bowl while having hosted the Press Your Luck Studios  thing, and it is unreasonable to expect that television is always going to reach that high of a watermark. Joker's Wild wasn't ever about the difficulty of the questions and it ran twelve years. It's a tiring argument that doesn't work.

To Brandon's point about Family Guy and Adult Swim: I'm the only vote at Condo Awesomegaard. If I want to watch something I do and that's that because there's nobody else. As a youth I didn't really have any parental guidance as to what to watch and I think I turned out OK. Just before age eight I began to watch the CBS run of Family Feud and enjoyed it. There were references I didn't get and that was OK. If I'm a parent today I know what I'm getting into with Guy or Swim and I can make that choice. Someone who sees the words "Family Feud" and who says "hey, it's a new version of the game show I remember from years ago" may not know that the thrust (see what I've done there?) changed. The admonition of "people watch this in the daytime" is a tacit admission that the answer just given was at best inappropriate.

We as game show fans need to accept that Family Feud has changed--some ways we don't like and some ways maybe we like, but it has changed and we get to deal with the new paradigm. That doesn't mean we have to like the terribly unfunny attempts at humor, or to say that Celebrity Family Feud is in fact acceptable for a grade schooler to see. In the last case, that's why parents get to make those choices.
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2015, 02:08:24 AM »
What was the opening question?
"Name something a naked magician might pull a rabbit out of."
Just curious: was "his hat" an answer?
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2015, 02:13:37 AM »

If he was wearing a hat, he wouldn't be naked, would he?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Re: Celebrity Family Feud Discussion
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2015, 02:24:27 AM »
I think Anthony said hat the second time they came back to him, and there was some banter about that being the only thing a naked magician would wear. I believe it was a Strike, though.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 02:43:55 AM »

If he was wearing a hat, he wouldn't be naked, would he?
I think Anthony said hat the second time they came back to him, and there was some banter about that being the only thing a naked magician would wear. I believe it was a Strike, though.
It was the #1 answer.

It was honestly a terrible question as I can't imagine anyone having an easy time thinking up eight answers for that. I think they ended up filling up half the board which I thought was a feat in itself.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.